Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: dvd drive - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/32039/t1229559-dvd-drive/

Author:   slaythebad
Date:   Sep 06, 08 at 8:25pm (PST)
Subject:   dvd drive
-------------------------------------------
the drive on my wii is pretty much shot. it won't read any discs at all, and just gives me a disc read error when i go to the disc channel. it's the laser, not the motor, almost for sure.

i was looking on ebay for some replacement drives, and they were all the same price as the nintendo repair. the only reason i would get a drive from ebay is that it would take less time to get working again.

my dad is an electrical engineer, so he knows what he's doing. just to clear that up.

i guess my real question is, do i have to get a wii-specific drive, or where can i get one for cheaper?

~slay

Author:   R1DDL3S
Date:   Sep 06, 08 at 8:39pm (PST)
Subject:   re: dvd drive

Author:   slaythebad
Date:   Sep 06, 08 at 9:03pm (PST)
ok, well i did some research. since my wii is from launch, it's really likely it's a GC2-DMS drive. at least i know what kind to get now.

~slay

Author:   Peek_a_buu
Date:   Sep 09, 08 at 6:23am (PST)
I assume you used homebrew?

Okay, so, as the Wii is a games console, unlike DVD players where they need to read the disc the entire movie, it is made only to read discs at certain moments and rely on flash memory for the rest. So, basically, the Wii was not built to read DVDs all the time (well, to be honest, at all), so you'll have to replace the laser.

Author:   Paper Mario Dude
Date:   Sep 09, 08 at 10:11am (PST)
quote Peek_a_buu
I assume you used homebrew?

Okay, so, as the Wii is a games console, unlike DVD players where they need to read the disc the entire movie, it is made only to read discs at certain moments and rely on flash memory for the rest. So, basically, the Wii was not built to read DVDs all the time (well, to be honest, at all), so you'll have to replace the laser.

i thought that was just a myth. because the Wii-brew DVD player does no harm on the Wii's laser.

Author:   bbb7002004
Date:   Sep 09, 08 at 1:17pm (PST)
Just because your Wii doesn't explode when you run DVD playing homebrew doesn't mean your aren't wearing out your laser. In fact, every time you use the laser it wears out a little more, even for gaming. The key is how may uses the laser is designed for, and playing DVD's eats up that limited number of uses even faster.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.