Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: The Official Chocobo's Dungeon Thread of Chocobo Costumes and Disappearing Memories - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/32039/t1189709-official-chocobos-dungeon-thread-of-chocobo-costumes-disappearing-memories/

Author:   Akira_EX
Date:   Jul 08, 08 at 10:14pm (PST)
Subject:   The Official Chocobo's Dungeon Thread of Chocobo Costumes and Disappearing Memories
-------------------------------------------

Game Details:
Developed by: h.a.n.d.
Published by: Square Enix
Genre: Dungeon RPG
Players: 1
Release Dates: July 8, 2008 (NA)
MSRP: $39.99
Control Methods: Wiimote, Wiimote+Nunchuk, Classic Controller
Wifi? Yes
Official Site: Here
Neoseeker Profile: Here
Neoseeker Forums: Here

Story:
Set in the town of Lostime, the plot revolves around Final Fantasy characters Chocobo and Cid. With the help of a mysterious character named Raffaello who is able to create a labyrinth of memories, the duo attempts to recover the lost memories of Lostime's residents. In the center of town, there is a clock that makes everyone lose their memories when it rings.

Gameplay:
The gameplay involves randomly generated dungeons and turn-based battles of the Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon title, though new elements have also been incorporated into the gameplay, such as the Job system, which features ten jobs. Different jobs change the appearance of the player's Chocobo and alter the layout of the dungeons the players enter. "Pop-up duels" also make a comeback with the addition of enemy cards that can be brought to "Mog's House", where they can be used to play minigames such as "bat shooter", "kick darts", fishing, and gardening.

The player uses the Wii Remote to control characters, though the use of the Nunchuk is optional. The player can also choose to use the Classic Controller, if preferred. As a player moves, Chocobo regains health, and if the player loses all of his or her health, he or she will be brought back to the beginning of the current dungeon. The game is Wi-Fi compatible, and players can battle against other players.

Screenshots:

Reviews:
IGN - 8.4

quote IGN
Chocobo's Dungeon may be a relic of the past, but it's one we should cherish. It takes a proven gameplay formula, skins it with the Final Fantasy universe, and throws as many different gameplay mechanics as it can at it. There's a great mix of gameplay styles here, from strategy to action to RPG. Square Enix's polished touch is all over this one, from the nice voice acting to the humorous dialogue. There's nothing here that couldn't be done on the GameCube, but it still captures your imagination and requires your thinking cap. If you consider yourself a longtime Square fan, you'll definitely want to delve into the dungeon.
1UP - B+

quote 1UP
Licensed roguelike outings don't always turn out so well, but Chocobo's Dungeon works far better than the likes of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon -- the perfect delta of hardcore dungeon crawling and the world's most popular RPG series. The Final Fantasy trappings are more than mere window dressing, yet they complement the underlying genre mechanics rather than compromising them. It's definitely a game for RPG fanatics who go in more for the challenge than the plotline, and no doubt casual players who pick it up for the oh-so-cute cover art will be rather surprised by how brutally it savages their dignity (although a generous learning curve should help ease them into their suffering). Still, it's a definite success, taken on its own terms. The only question, really, is whether or not gamers are ready to accept those terms.
Nintendo Power - 75%

GamePro - 75%

quote GamePro
As I said, the game isn't perfect but it still manages to offer up enough fun to make you keep going. It may not be the robust adventure that Final Fantasy fans are accustomed to, but it does offer an interesting dungeon crawl experience that series fans will no doubt enjoy hacking and slashing their way through.
Deals:
No current deals

Links:
Wikipedia

---

My Take:

I'm a general fan of the Mystery Dungeon series, so I'm sure to give it a look. It looks to be a ridiculously solid game, and I'm about to order it right now. $40 and a good Wii game to boot? Sure is a game to get.

That said, check out the game's official site, which has info on the gameplay if you're unfamiliar with the genre, the different job classes, and nine bits of awesome music.

Author:   Demonfurby
Date:   Jul 08, 08 at 10:23pm (PST)
Subject:   re: The Official Chocobo's Dungeon Thread of Chocobo Costumes and Disappearing Memories
I actually may get this now, I have some money to spend and all the games I want are available at Gamestop. Do you have to had played any other FF game to understand this?

Date:   Jul 08, 08 at 10:34pm (PST)
Subject:   re: The Official Chocobo's Dungeon Thread of Chocobo Costumes and Disappearing Memories
Chocobo's Dungeon can be played standalone.

Author:   Dio
Date:   Jul 08, 08 at 11:27pm (PST)
Does anyone have this game yet?

After seeing Akira's post, and visiting the official site, I'm very interested in this game. But I wanted some feedback from you guys before I go out and buy it.

Date:   Jul 08, 08 at 11:38pm (PST)
Yoshi Freak probably already beat it 3 times.I already know I'm getting this.

Author:   canderson
Date:   Jul 09, 08 at 12:17am (PST)
I've never played any game like this honestly. I'm considering getting this game. I want to here more opinions.

Author:   Ground
Date:   Jul 09, 08 at 12:58am (PST)
I don't have it yet.

But To all, visit the Fourm and this game is a MUST-BUY. They are even making a Revamped DS version with Moderate graphics, An extra story mode, And A new Job for Chocobo.

BUT, the DS Game doesn't have the Trading Card game Wi-Fi mode. If you've played Chocobo Tales for the DS, The Wi-Fi will be fun. VERY. FUN.

EDIT: I got it. and it's great.

The town folks are insane, And I haven't unlocked card battles yet.

Also, In the back of the Instructions, it advirtises Chocobo plushies. White Mage, Black Mage, And Santa Claus Chocobo. Also, It kept the japenese music in the opening. it's really good.

Date:   Jul 09, 08 at 3:00am (PST)
It kept its Japanese opening? =O

From what I understand, Chocobo's Dungeon isn't as hard as your normal roguelike, if only because of the lessened penalties when you die. It should be harder than Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, at the very least.

So many roguelikes, so little time. I still need to beat Izuna, start Shiren, and somehow try to slog my way through Nightmare of Druaga. =X

Date:   Jul 09, 08 at 3:34am (PST)
Well you lose ALL of your money, And ALL Of your non-equipped Items.

The 3rd Boss (Cid's memory) Has to have atleast 300 HP. ATLEAST. I dealt like 200 Damage, and it wouldn't die...

Date:   Jul 09, 08 at 3:38am (PST)
quote Yoshi Freak
Well you lose ALL of your money, And ALL Of your non-equipped Items.
That's usually the case. It was the same situation in PMD.

Other roguelikes, like Shiren, would reset your level on death.

Author:   Peek_a_buu
Date:   Jul 09, 08 at 4:58am (PST)
What's the online functionalities in this and how does it play?

Date:   Jul 09, 08 at 5:03am (PST)
The online is a Trading Card game.

The Playing is like Chocobo dungeon for the PS1, and Pokemon MD when in battles.

Date:   Jul 09, 08 at 8:09pm (PST)
The music in this game is amazing. The remixes!

"Over That Hill" from Final Fantasy IX

"The Man with the Machine Gun" from Final Fantasy VIII

"Hunter's Chance" from Final Fantasy IX

"Battle on the Big Bridge" from Final Fantasy V

"Dungeon" from Final Fantasy V

"Force Your Way" from Final Fantasy VIII

Cmon, Circuit City, switch this game to instock on your website so I can use my gift card >=#

Date:   Jul 09, 08 at 8:36pm (PST)
Battle on the bridge - WIN.

dragoshi1 also has the game, but his Wii broke and he's getting it fixed.

Date:   Jul 09, 08 at 10:27pm (PST)
How long is it?

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.