Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Castlevania Judgment (Wii) is a 3D Fighter - wait, what? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/32039/t1181431-castlevania-judgment-wii-3d-fighter-wait/

Author:   Akira_EX
Date:   Jun 26, 08 at 10:12pm (PST)
Subject:   Castlevania Judgment (Wii) is a 3D Fighter - wait, what?
-------------------------------------------
From GoNintendo.

quote GoNintendo
Characters confirmed thus far - Dracula, Simon, Alucard, Shanoa, and Maria Renard.
Classic subweapons - holy water, magic spells, dagger, boomerang
Subweapon use still depends on hearts
Remixed classic Castlevania tunes
Set traps, destroyable environments, enemy monsters interfere with battle
Nunchuck controls character movement, Wiimote used for motion attacks
Apparently from the latest Nintendo Power.

Don't know if want. Hope this is actually a 2.5D fighter, because 3D fighters are terrible.

Edit 1:

More info via GoNintendo and Nintendo Wii Fanboy

quote GoNintendo
- Maria unlocked through DS to Wii connectivity
- special move gauge that builds up to a move that is much like a "final smash"
- some sort of WFC interaction
- character models by Takeshi Obata (Death Note)
- Quote from Igarashi "I guess some fans may worry about the game quality, but I am confident that we can achieve a very high-quality game. I think that fansÂ…will see that it stays true to the Castlevania series. Even though this is a fighting game I can guarantee that it will be fun."
quote Nintendo Wii Fanboy
* Wii remote used for motion attacks, Nunchuk for character movement
* Rumored characters include Simon, Alucard, Shanoa, Maria Renard, and, of course, Dracula
* Holy water, magic spells, dagger, and boomerang subweapons
* Using subweapons requires hearts
* Remixed classic Castlevania tracks
* Destroyable environments
* Enemy monsters jump into the battle
* Placeable traps
Also via Nintendo Wii Fanboy:

Author:   bbb7002004
Date:   Jun 26, 08 at 11:45pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Castlevania Judgment (Wii) is a 3D Fighter - wait, what?
Hmm, well, at least we got two good announcements today.

Author:   metaldra0
Date:   Jun 27, 08 at 12:41am (PST)
Looks like want. I also hope for 2.5D, unless the enemy can move in 3D (Like Tales of Symphonia, that was BS)

Author:   Gogetenks
Date:   Jun 27, 08 at 1:08am (PST)
quote Akira_EX
Don't know if want. Hope this is actually a 2.5D fighter, because 3D fighters are terrible.
Well, a 3D fighter still takes place on a 2D plane (but usually can be rotated). Games like Soul Caliber, Virtua Fighter or Tekken are considered 3D fighters, as opposed to 2D fighters like Street Fighter or the classic Mortal Kombat games. I'm guessing that's what you mean by 2.5D, right? Going by the screenshot, it seems to be a fighter in the vein of Soul Caliber.

Anyway, its...an interesting idea, I guess. Can't say I'm looking forward to it very much, though. I was hoping that the Castlevania Wii project was going to be an adventure title, not a spin-off fighter.

Author:   Dio
Date:   Jun 27, 08 at 2:03am (PST)
Excessive arm-swinging confirmed.

Date:   Jun 27, 08 at 2:07am (PST)
quote Gogetenks
Well, a 3D fighter still takes place on a 2D plane (but usually can be rotated). Games like Soul Caliber, Virtua Fighter or Tekken are considered 3D fighters, as opposed to 2D fighters like Street Fighter or the classic Mortal Kombat games. I'm guessing that's what you mean by 2.5D, right? Going by the screenshot, it seems to be a fighter in the vein of Soul Caliber.
For me, a 2.5D fighter is basically a 2D fighter with 3D graphics. I consider 3D fighters as those where you have 3D movement on the battle field, like Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive.

Author:   Gogetenks
Date:   Jun 27, 08 at 2:13am (PST)
Okay, so a 2.5D fighter would be something like Street Fighter IV? The term "2.5D Fighter" isn't used often, so I'm still rather unclear about it. Especially when you said "3D fighters are terrible", since some are actually decent. Although I'd take Street Fighter II or the older Mortal Kombat games over any 3D fighter, I don't mind Virtua Fighter or Dead or Alive. I don't really enjoy most others, though, and I'm not optimistic about this one. To be honest, I don't know why they'd want to make a fighting game about Castlevania. It's not what people look for in a Castlevania title, and spin-offs like this rarely turn out to be any good.

Author:   bbb7002004
Date:   Jun 27, 08 at 2:18am (PST)
I was just thinking, it's kind of ironic that the Wii version of Soul Caliber gets turned into an adventure game, and Castlevania into a fighting game.

Date:   Jun 27, 08 at 2:36am (PST)
I'm a big fan of 2D fighters; my two favorite ones were CvS2 and MvC2. I pay some interest to them, and I have a few KoF games for the PS2 I've been meaning to play. So as long as it keeps a 2D fighter's gameplay, I'd be okay with it.

But yeah, you normally don't see 2.5D paired with fighter; it's more of a platformer term.

Really though, it is Soul Calibur Legends in reverse.

Author:   therealNgamer
Date:   Jun 27, 08 at 2:37am (PST)
When I first saw this I was pretty excited. I mean come on, Simon vs. Alucard? That's awesome! They'd just better also have Soma Cruz!

Well now we know what the Wii connectivity feature is in OoE. I read on the GoNintendo comments from someone who apparently already got that the NP that you will be able to unlock Maria by doing that. Seems kind of strange though, I would think it would have something to do with Shanoa.

There are quite a few good 3D fighters, Soul Calibur comes to mind, so hopefully this will be able to replicate that kind of success. We know by now that Iga's not too great with his 3D adventure titles, so maybe he'll be better at 3D fighters? For now I'll remain optimistic-hopefully it will be better than Soul Calibur's conversion!

Author:   Miss Razz
Date:   Jun 27, 08 at 3:54am (PST)
I am so disappointed that the rumored Castlevania game ended up being a fighter. I was hoping we might get a really amazing 3D Castlevania game (as opposed to the average PS2 ones).

Oh well. I'll end up getting this game anyways.

Author:   Razentsu
Date:   Jun 27, 08 at 3:57am (PST)
Yes, they'd better have Soma.

I hope this is a 2.5d fighter, I've always preferred 2d fighters to 3d.

Date:   Jun 27, 08 at 5:17am (PST)
OP updated with new information.

Author:   Zebra Cakes
Date:   Jun 27, 08 at 9:12am (PST)
quote Gothic Girl
I am so disappointed that the rumored Castlevania game ended up being a fighter. I was hoping we might get a really amazing 3D Castlevania game (as opposed to the average PS2 ones).

Oh well. I'll end up getting this game anyways.

I agree. Let down. It's a renter for me.

Author:   Enigmatic Man
Date:   Jun 27, 08 at 9:56am (PST)
Ohh god no. Why Iga? why?

In what world does Castlevania suit being a cheap knock-off fighter.

Even if it is good the most it achieve is a sub-par Soul Calibur.

Not to mention it's a saturated genre...

Why does the wii ALWAYS get game like this, is it soo hard for the developers to take it seriously. Im going back to MGS...

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.