Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Photo editing = cheating? - page 4

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/30896/t882812-photo-editing-cheating/4.htm

Author:   Zacewing
Date:   Dec 13, 11 at 6:38pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Photo editing = cheating?
-------------------------------------------
quote lewis584
I don't think it's cheating at all, and I don't think it's possible to 'cheat' at photography. It's an art form at the end of the day, you aim to produce an image that you like, I don't see what could possibly be wrong with editing a photo to get this result.
I agree with this.

Author:   Albuca
Date:   Dec 20, 11 at 12:34am (PST)
quote Zacewing
quote lewis584
I don't think it's cheating at all, and I don't think it's possible to 'cheat' at photography. It's an art form at the end of the day, you aim to produce an image that you like, I don't see what could possibly be wrong with editing a photo to get this result.
I agree with this.
I agree as well.
Its just as hard, maybe even harder to do post work on the photograph.
There is so much you can do, but they really go hand in hand.
Take the perfect photograph, then doctor it a little, fix the blemish, get rid of that glare, crop it a bit; all of which takes time and skill.

Author:   forthecity
Date:   Dec 23, 11 at 5:51pm (PST)
i don't think you are cheater. i will edit smaller things out like that, or even lighting. but if you go look on flickr majority of the pictures are all edited. its okay, its the world we live in today.

Author:   aymanbinmoshi
Date:   Apr 19, 12 at 5:28am (PST)
It is true that editing a photo can make it look better.I think photo editing make it or find it look better from the past.Technology gives the motion .It has a bad side also ,but we need awareness about this .

Author:   krysty
Date:   Apr 25, 12 at 4:25am (PST)
It's not a cheating.

Author:   JamesJShaw
Date:   May 22, 12 at 1:58am (PST)
Editing others photo or unknown person's photo is nothing but cheating and its brutal. But editing our friend''s or our photos is not a cheating.

We are proving anything with the photo. We are just making them the best view of us.

Author:   ctrl
Date:   Jul 14, 12 at 11:44am (PST)
quote JamesJShaw
Editing others photo or unknown person's photo is nothing but cheating and its brutal. But editing our friend''s or our photos is not a cheating.

We are proving anything with the photo. We are just making them the best view of us.
I sort of agree, but more-so disagree. In today's age of photography, there is less of a craft anymore due to the amount of people relying on graphic editing. I mean in sports, enhancing drugs are banned, but in photography, enhancing programs are actually encouraged?

If you are trying to make a photograph more creative like the one down below, then I'm fine with the concept. But by using it to edit imperfections just bothers me since I spot it right away which bothers me all the more.

Author:   Euphoric
Date:   Jul 16, 12 at 5:57pm (PST)
Comparing photography to sport? Really? One's a game and one's an art form. They are hardly comparable. Especially in the way you have.

Date:   Jul 16, 12 at 9:54pm (PST)
Meh. I just think that anyone that relies on photo-editing to do more than "touch up" just takes away from the "photography/photographer" element. Which I'd say is comparable. Relying on something because a lack of talent/skill.

Author:   yagerlin
Date:   Oct 27, 12 at 1:39am (PST)
You are insinuating that all editing is to fix mistakes and errors in the photo. It is possible that it is being edited to distort certain features, or to change the photo in some way that isn't considered normal, and hence can't be called "fixing". Experimental photography and editing is creating a different form of art that isn't directly comparable to purist photography. Saying one is "better" than the other isn't a just comparison.

Author:   Mnmfan
Date:   Nov 02, 12 at 10:45pm (PST)
Art is still art no matter how you achieve the results. Being able to retouch a photo for example takes an artistic eye and a certain amount of imagination. Just because the results is'nt how it was taken by a camera doesn't make it any less artistic.
In fact I'd go as far to say that retouching is more artistic than not retouching. Anyone can point a camera and shoot but it takes skill to be able to spot the flaws in the photo and to be able to fix them.

So to answer the OP, is photo editing cheating? No, quite the opposite in fact.

Date:   Nov 03, 12 at 8:32am (PST)
Subject:   Photo editing = cheating?
If the photographer was any good, there wouldn't be flaws to edit later. Which is why photography used to be held in high regard. And yeah anyone can point and shoot a camera. Being good at it is another story. A camera is like a musicians instrument, and editing is the auto-tuning.

It's whatever. I believe it's still compensating for a lack of skill with the camera.

Author:   Mnmfan
Date:   Nov 04, 12 at 8:32pm (PST)
I see your point but there are some flaws that even the best photographers can't avoid. Perhaps their subject is less than ideal but is all they have to work with. When you wanna achieve perfection but your model has a giant mole on her forehead no amount of photography skill is gonna fix it.

Author:   GDP
Date:   Nov 27, 12 at 6:50pm (PST)
A lot of people cover up bad photos by layering them with various effects and adding gradients in place of actual lighting effects, which should be shamed.

However there are also those who do both basic enhancements and touchups on portraits, which many people complain about, but to those who have used studio lighting will know, a strobe will show Every imperfection on someones face, needing to to be retouched. The whole, reshape to "supermodel standard", thing however i strongly disagree with.

Last but not least there are those that use photoshop to really add something to an already good photograph, which is perfectly acceptable and is merely another element to photography itself.

People often forget that editing existed way before digital came to hand, and had always been part of the process for many photographers. There are those out there however that won't tolerate it, Vogue for example, excepts no edited photographs for their user submissions.

Either way its a personal thing if you accept it or not, as well as if you choose to do it and by how much. There will always be those leaning to either side.

Author:   darksouls2
Date:   May 03, 14 at 5:44am (PST)
I must say that i had same queston in my mind.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.