Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Canon 550D vs Nikon D3100 - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/30896/t1733976-canon-550d-vs-nikon-d3100/

Author:   Mirage
Date:   May 13, 12 at 11:56am (PST)
Subject:   Canon 550D vs Nikon D3100
-------------------------------------------

I'm looking into buying my first SLR camera and I've narrowed my choice down to between these two giants but I'm having a hard time deciding, so I'm hoping some people here will be able to express their opinion which will hopefully help me out.

quote Canon 550D
  • 18 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
  • DIGIC 4 processor with ISO 100-6400 (Expansion to 12800)
  • Continuous shooting at 3.7fps
  • Full HD movie recording with manual control and selectable frame rates
  • 7.7cm (3.0 inch) 3:2 Clear View LCD with 1,040k dots
  • Canon 550D via Amazon.

quote Nikon D3100
  • 14.2 megapixel DX-format CMOS image sensor delivers lifelike images with vivid colors and reduced noise
  • EXPEED2 image processing engine provides enhanced movie recording, high-sensitivity performance and maximum image quality
  • High ISO (100-3200) light sensitivity - manually extendable up to ISO12800
  • D-Movie – full HD (1920 x 1080) movie clips: record beautiful high-definition (HD) movie clips with sound
  • GUIDE mode: quick and easy-to-use in-camera assistance
  • Nikon D3100 via Amazon.

Author:   ctrl
    Date:   May 13, 12 at 9:52pm (PST)
    Subject:   re: Canon 550D vs Nikon D3100
    I can say that I've been a Canon fanboy in the past, and haven't really ever purchased anything from Nikon only because Canon hasn't ever really disappointed me. I think it ultimately comes down to what you want to use it as. The Canon has more to offer in means of augmentations to the camera, as well as pixel-quality. Nikon has been trying to push their slr's into video recording, so they have that benefit over Canon, but if you aren't that interested in it, then I'd say go for the Canon. And I am uncertain, but you can get a Canon 550D cheaper depending on the casing. Those made with metal for durability are more-expensive, but I do believe you can purchase the plastic casing which is lighter, but don't bounce well.

Date:   May 14, 12 at 3:39pm (PST)
    Thanks for replying, ctrl. I took your advice but rather than buy the 550D, opted for the 600D (T3i) instead. I paid about £400, which is something around $640 - which I thought was a pretty sweet deal. I guess the next step is getting myself clued up about certain lenses etc.

Author:   ctrl
    Date:   May 14, 12 at 4:12pm (PST)
    That's not bad at all! I myself own the T2i. If I would have known, I would have suggested that to you. It's specs are identical to the T3i, but doesn't have a flip-out screen. That's pretty much the only difference. I'm already considering what to save up for. Whether a telephoto lense that is at least 300mm, or perhaps a macro lens. I've also had my eye on a few shift-tilt lenses.

Date:   May 15, 12 at 3:02pm (PST)
    So what lenses have you got so far? Any suggestions on which lens I should aim for other than the standard 18-5mm that the 600D comes with? I literally know nothing of photography but it's something I'm trying to slowly introduce myself to. Though saying that, I don't think I'll be able to afford extra lenses any time soon, this camera is already starting to cost me a small fortune with all the little extras and what-not.

Author:   Paranoid Android
    Date:   May 16, 12 at 10:45am (PST)
    My girlfriend has a D3100 that I sometimes use. It's a pretty sick camera with great video recording capabilities. Since this is gonna be your first digital SLR there's not much need for a 550D or any other camera that's 600 bucks with all those crazy pro specs... probably won't even notice them for a while anyways unless you're seriously trying to go professional.

Edit-just read you bought a camera already.

Author:   Aranu
    Date:   May 28, 12 at 4:16pm (PST)
    quote ctrl
    I'm already considering what to save up for. Whether a telephoto lense that is at least 300mm, or perhaps a macro lens. I've also had my eye on a few shift-tilt lenses.
    If you are canon, I suggest spending good money on lenses, specifically if you plan to one day upgrade. A lens will last much longer than a body and its better to spend more on the lens than the body if you are tight on cash. Saying that don't get anything other than a L grade lens if you can afford it, and by that I am mostly aiming at telephoto lenses. The non L telephoto lenses are pretty much useless, the best non-L glass is the primes. Also a tilt-shift lens has very specific uses, and other than using it to shoot a lot of landscape [particularly architecture] it doesn't have a lot of use. Although a lot of people are starting to use it as a gimmick lens for portraits. Still I wouldn't suggest a tilt-shift lens unless you really want it or have a wide range of lenses already.

quote Mirage
    Any suggestions on which lens I should aim for other than the standard 18-5mm that the 600D comes with?
    I would suggest getting a 50mm 1.8 II lens. Its only about $125-$150 and is one of the best lenses you can buy to practice on. It will make you work for your images since there is no zoom. Plus the added fact of being able to play with a wide aperture lens as well. It has many limitations but is worth every penny. If you know some camera geeks you can try to buy it used off them or their friends, I sold mine to a friend and another photographer friend was selling hers for 50$ so I bought right away, and I have it as a beat up lens to lend to friends

Author:   alivia_patel
    Date:   Sep 13, 12 at 12:36pm (PST)
    I'm generally a fan of Nikon cameras, but vote for the Canon this time.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
    All Rights Reserved.