Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Motivation in Photography - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/30896/t1698710-motivation-in-photography/

Author:   Justin
Date:   Nov 23, 11 at 3:44am (PST)
Subject:   Motivation in Photography
-------------------------------------------
Writing a post just a minute ago in the Portfolio thread had me thinking: what is it exactly that motivates you guys to go out and take pictures of whatever it is you're photographing that day? I used to take a really dumbed down Photography class, so I was taking pictures because of that, but recently I've been really lazy with photography; haven't taken a picture for months, and I no longer feel the need to. Any motivational tips or suggestions would be awesome, guys, thanks!

Author:   Paranoid Android
Date:   Nov 23, 11 at 4:19am (PST)
Subject:   re: Motivation in Photography
When I was about 15 years old or so my mom got me a Fujifilm digital camera for my birthday. I loved the thing to death and it was until 17 I really started getting into taking photos and began learning the ins and outs of photography. Last year at 18 I bought myself a Nikon D3000, and this year at 19 I'm constantly finding ways to improve my shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vonromer/

Date:   Nov 23, 11 at 5:07am (PST)
Those are all really good, too! ^__^ My grandma gave me her camera this year, at 15, so hopefully I fall under the same route you did. (;

Do you go out with your camera and specifically spend time taking pictures, or do you just always have your camera on you and you photograph whatever it is your doing/are nearby?

Date:   Nov 23, 11 at 1:41pm (PST)
Yeah sometimes I'll dedicate the entire day to taking photos, and will go around the city to do that. Other times I have my camera packed with me in my backpack in case a good moment to shoot arises. c: wbu?

Date:   Nov 23, 11 at 6:06pm (PST)
Wbu = What about you? >~< I'm terrible with acronyms, I swear.

Lately I haven't been taking any at all; it's pretty sad. I used to go hiking a bit with my grandma and or/walk downtown with my little brother and sister when I was feeling the need to take some pictures. That or just have a camera on me when I'm out, but I haven't done anything like that for months. -__-

Author:   Aranu
Date:   Nov 24, 11 at 3:11am (PST)
I find that motivation comes and goes. For me, depending on how busy I am, affects my motivation. But one sure fire way to motivate me, is look for inspiration. You can't just hope to feel fired up and take photos. Your number 1 thing if you are passionate in photography I believe is look for inspiration. When I'm bored I go through mountains of photos for inspiration from other artist when I see something I like, I try to put my own twist on it.

Another way to help you focus, is to find something you want to take photos of. When I first started, I wanted to shoot everything. I still do, but I have found a genre I prefer and I stick to it and lots of my inspiration is based around the genre.

Have a look at my portfolio on flickr. Insomniak Media

Author:   Ari
Date:   Nov 29, 11 at 9:42pm (PST)
It sounds silly, but I don't hesitate any more. If I even think "Gee, the lighting outside could lead to some great photos," or "This may be an interesting photo opportunity," I go. Granted, this has been restricted to when I'm spending a weekend home from college once or twice a month. I just can't stand to think that I may lose out on my next great photograph just because I was too lazy, you know?

Date:   Nov 30, 11 at 1:56am (PST)
^ Agreed. That's why I'd love to get my hands on one of those compact DSLRs Sony and Olympus are tossing out into the market. The biggest turn off for my camera is it's size, which is why I sometimes skip out on taking it with me.

Date:   Nov 30, 11 at 3:02am (PST)
Only problem I have at the moment is the fact that male highschool students (from here, anyway) NEVER carry around cameras. Especially since my camera's bulky and very unnatractive.

I'd really like to get my hands on an Iphone 4GS or something along the lines. I heard that the quality is really great and it's really easy to carry around, too.

Date:   Nov 30, 11 at 8:06pm (PST)
lol, iPhone photography. Easy way out.

Author:   Euphoric
Date:   Dec 19, 11 at 2:57am (PST)
My motivation is that it's fun, but more importantly it's a creative outlet. I never properly learned to draw, and writing takes more patience than I am willing to devote to it. This leaves me with digital art and photography. Photography is my main passion when it comes to the arts now. I love it. It's a crying shame that I've been so busy in the back end of this year that I haven't used my camera seriously in probably 6 months. I'm going away for a week for New Years though so that will be a great way to get back into it.

quote Justin
Only problem I have at the moment is the fact that male highschool students (from here, anyway) NEVER carry around cameras. Especially since my camera's bulky and very unnatractive.
Clearly not many indie kids in your area then.

Author:   Aranu
Date:   Apr 23, 12 at 4:11am (PST)
Compact cameras in my opinion are for just fun. If you ever decide to go professional in anyway, then don't get those new mirror less cameras, because you will long for a more professional setup. Even Liecas which are the top compact cameras around don't excite me, and probably won't until I decide I need a camera, JUST for fun. Also maybe because you are in high school, but I honestly don't give a shit when people stare at me with my camera. Size matters nothing anymore, and its all about functionality.

euphoric That's exactly what has happened for me too man, and you know how much I was into design.

Author:   ctrl
Date:   Apr 24, 12 at 9:06am (PST)
quote Justin
Writing a post just a minute ago in the Portfolio thread had me thinking: what is it exactly that motivates you guys to go out and take pictures of whatever it is you're photographing that day? I used to take a really dumbed down Photography class, so I was taking pictures because of that, but recently I've been really lazy with photography; haven't taken a picture for months, and I no longer feel the need to. Any motivational tips or suggestions would be awesome, guys, thanks!
For me, it's a general lazy outlet for my artistic creativity. And I love capturing action and life, because within a photo tells a story. When I had my camera stolen, I swear I didn't have crap to do in my free-time. I think I actually went into a micro-depression over not being able to snap photos.

Author:   Tec 9
Date:   Apr 30, 12 at 7:51am (PST)
During my photography degree, the main motivation was obviously the project at hand. Since I finished the degree I haven't been very motivated. In fact I've only taken a couple of photos in the past 2 years, as in, proper 'photographs'. The motivation to take those photos was to be outside, in a forest.

I recently decided I wanted to do a project, but after working out the cost, I realised it would cost me hundreds of pounds so I became demotivated. The price of film has shot up so much over the last year that it's not even worth it anymore.

I think the talk about equipment in photography is pointless, it's like saying, "you've got the wrong paintbrushes, you're not a painter". It's just for equipment nerds to oogle over their lenses and megapixels and feel that because they've spent more money than others that they're better photographers.

Author:   Mr Gamerboy
Date:   May 01, 12 at 12:42pm (PST)
quote Tec 9
During my photography degree, the main motivation was obviously the project at hand. Since I finished the degree I haven't been very motivated. In fact I've only taken a couple of photos in the past 2 years, as in, proper 'photographs'. The motivation to take those photos was to be outside, in a forest.

I recently decided I wanted to do a project, but after working out the cost, I realised it would cost me hundreds of pounds so I became demotivated. The price of film has shot up so much over the last year that it's not even worth it anymore.

I think the talk about equipment in photography is pointless, it's like saying, "you've got the wrong paintbrushes, you're not a painter". It's just for equipment nerds to oogle over their lenses and megapixels and feel that because they've spent more money than others that they're better photographers.
try just buying a digital and therefore not spending money for film ^-^

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.