Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Connecting your PS3 Online - Instructions - page 2

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/30444/t860826-connecting-your-ps3-online-instructions/2.htm

Author:   SS4Gogeta
Date:   Jan 03, 08 at 5:06am (PST)
Subject:   re: Connecting your PS3 Online - Instructions
-------------------------------------------
quote guticb
Why don't you make a VFAQ over it? You would have to add a bit more information, but it's obvious you know what you're doing.
Well I update the thread in the PS3 network forum but it seems people look here more often. I'll see if I can get that VFAQ done Friday or Sat.

Edit: I just added the other information here.

Author:   Sonny RFC
Date:   Apr 10, 08 at 11:46pm (PST)
I havent yet connected to the PS Network yet, i have setup an sign in ID and an online ID. I have a broadband connection but i'm wondering what is the required connection speed to the ps3? in 'sony's ps3 knowledge center' link the setup to an easy wired connection says that the ethernet cable is supplied? I dont think when i got my ps3 that an ethernet cable was supplied? and if not what cable do you recommend that i get and from where? My modem only has 1 ethernet cable port and that is connected to my pc do i take that out when im connecting the ps3. Do i just connect a suitable ethernet cable from my modem to my ps3? I dont know anything about my broadband connection? obv i'll need to find out the connection speed but is there anything else required to know when setting up a connection to the ps3 from my ISP?

Author:   weskraudaon
Date:   Apr 10, 08 at 11:51pm (PST)
Yeah, you can only got to one at a time with a modem. Get a router and you can do both at the same time. All you basically do is you put the Ethernet from the modem to the PS3 and that's it.

Author:   Sonny RFC
Date:   Apr 11, 08 at 5:03pm (PST)
awrite then, cheers for the reply btw.

Author:   Salvador_Dog
Date:   Jun 05, 08 at 10:54pm (PST)
I use a wireless router for my PS3, but lately i've been having a really crappy connection especially when playing CoD4, would switching to a wired connection help with this problem or is it just my router? (I've only had my router for 4 months)

Author:   weskraudaon
Date:   Jun 05, 08 at 11:08pm (PST)
I think it's cod4's problem because I have wired and I have really good connection but it's still been crap.

Author:   Salvador_Dog
Date:   Jun 05, 08 at 11:30pm (PST)
really? well i guess i'll stick with wireless for the moment, if it still acts buggy for MGO (which for the beta it worked fine) i'll go to wired
thanks for your help Wesk

Author:   Halo_Asassin
Date:   Jun 24, 08 at 3:05am (PST)
Subject:   Connecting your PS3 Online - Instructions
How would I go about finding my login ID? ...I'm a bit of a nub.

Date:   Jun 24, 08 at 3:47am (PST)
quote Halo_Asassin
How would I go about finding my login ID? ...I'm a bit of a nub.
Check with your Internet Service Provider. If you enter a user ID to connect to your ISP (Internet Service Provider) that is your login ID.

Author:   chapel53000
Date:   Jun 24, 08 at 3:53am (PST)
quote Salvador_Dog
really? well i guess i'll stick with wireless for the moment, if it still acts buggy for MGO (which for the beta it worked fine) i'll go to wired
thanks for your help Wesk

yea, cod4 is weird right now. i was playin like 20 mins ago and LAGGY. my connection had all the green bars. so i wouldn't say it's ur connection, i'd say it's cod4's servers.

Author:   Asianz
Date:   Jul 26, 08 at 6:43am (PST)
dam.. guess I'll need a router if i wanna play online >.<

Anyway I can just steal one or can another modem do the trick?

Author:   ziz54
Date:   Aug 14, 08 at 3:54pm (PST)
Linksys WAG325N any good ??

before buying my PS 3 i would like to ask some questions about online stuff please ...

i have a broadband connection with the Linksys WAG325N

can you tell me if its good for PS3 online stuff ... ?? if its good but there is better i would like to know the name ...

and if i have to mess with the settings??

and would it be better if i had a wired connection or wireless ??

If wired what should the cable be ??

and if there is any final advice before buying my PS3 , will be much appreciiated

Date:   Aug 14, 08 at 8:08pm (PST)
Please read the very first post. Post your questions once you have your PS3.

Author:   ziz54
Date:   Aug 15, 08 at 9:22pm (PST)
well i am extremely worried because i remember i had pes2008 on pc and after i changed to this router ... when i connect online .. im in there in the lobby .. i can see my opponent and he can see me but we cant start the game ... i open all of the port required still didn't work .. so im afraid this may transfer to my PS 3

Author:   Exevier
Date:   Aug 21, 08 at 4:47am (PST)
So, I've been having some issues getting my PS3 online. I've had the system since last year and have taken it online at friends' houses before, but could never do so at my own home since satellite was the only internet available to me. Now, however, I have recently moved into an off-campus apartment for the school I attend and just had DSL through the University installed yesterday. I took my computers online with no problems one at a time through the modem, and picked up a Linksys WRT160N router before I had the chance to try connecting my PS3. However, of course, once I got all my computers online and attempted to connect my PS3, I couldn't. After fiddling around with my router a bit, trying both wireless and wired connections, I tried running an ethernet cable from the PS3 straight into the modem, but even that didn't work. When I test the connection, the PS3 will acquire the IP address, but fail to connection to the internet.

So... Any ideas would be much appreciated, as I'm fresh out at this point.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.