Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: STILL Getting NAT Type 3 In A Wired Connection. - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/30444/t1737566-still-getting-nat-type-3-in-wired-connection/

Author:   Arietta
Date:   Jun 02, 12 at 6:46pm (PST)
Subject:   STILL Getting NAT Type 3 In A Wired Connection.
-------------------------------------------
I love anyone who can help me with this. I have Googled, changed configurations, spent money on a new hub just so I could stop using Wireless Connections with my PS3, still NOTHING.

I have been wanting to play online for months but I have always gotten NAT 3. I always tried with Wi-Fi first with no luck. Now I heard that it was as easy as using a wired connection to fix that, but I haven't had much luck. I have googled like crazy with no luck, I only see people with the same problem but I never see any actual solutions.

No matter what I do, I always get NAT Type 3.

Things I have done:
  • Opened the TCP ports mentioned in the official PSN website.
  • Opened the official UDP ports mentioned in the official PSN website.
I don't know what else to do. I heard that using a Wired Connection should have been more than enough to get NAT Type 1. Since just wiring the connection still gave me NAT Type 3, I opened the ports on my modem. Still NAT Type 3.

What else could I possibly do? This has gone beyond ridiculous.

Author:   Gamesta100
Date:   Jun 02, 12 at 9:09pm (PST)
Subject:   re: STILL Getting NAT Type 3 In A Wired Connection.
Unfortunately I don't think anyone here can tell you the answer.I know at least me an Mnmfan have had the same propblem and now matter how much we asked, looked or tried, we just couldn't get the NAT Type changed.

But I know that buying a new router has actually worked for me in the past as I have been through all 3 NAT Types.Having the NAT change seems to be a luck thing.Though I think only having the PS3 connected to the internet can change NAT 3 to NAT 2.

One night I tried to play MP3 with jbh and the game said I had NAT 3.Well I was sure I remembered having NAT 2 so I did an internet check and indeed I was on NAT 3.Well another day I tried to play MP3 with jbh again while my sister was out of town so her laptop was not on and so not using the internet and I had NAT 2.

So the only thing I can tell you to try is if you also have a PC that's using the internet, turn it off or disconnect the internet from your PC and see if that changes the PS3 to NAT 2.

Yes that is a pest but it's the only thing I can tell you to try.

Date:   Jun 02, 12 at 9:13pm (PST)
Yeah I have tried those things like crazy.

What is particularly bizarre is that:

NAT Type 1: Wired connection.
NAT Type 2: Wireless Connection
NAT Type 3: Wireless Connection with problems.

Why would I be getting a Wireless Connection problem when the whole thing is being completely wired? I'm planning on getting a new modem and trying to reduce the amount of hubs it takes for my PS3 to get online, but there's many physical limitations for that.

Author:   Gamesta100
Date:   Jun 02, 12 at 9:17pm (PST)
I don't understand that either as I have always had wired internet.

I really hope that somehow with the PS4 they make it easy to make the NAT Type whichever one you want.It really sucks wanting to play something online and not being able to because you have NAT Type 3.

I can't play Rockstar games online if I'm on NAT 3.

Date:   Jun 02, 12 at 9:22pm (PST)
I can't play anything online if I have NAT Type 3. My PS3 connects online, I can send messages, receive messages, browse the Store, update my PSN profile with trophies, Connect to games online... Without actually being able to play them as I never get anyone to play with.

I seriously hope anyone figures this out soon. It's annoying. I really wanted to play some games online... Ah well. If a new modem doesn't fix this, I don't know what will.

Author:   Boyd
Date:   Jun 03, 12 at 4:18am (PST)
What router are you using ?

Have you put you tried putting your ps3 into a DMZ ?

I have a Wireless connection and everything is fine so I have not tried it

Placing your console in a DMZ is not a difficult thing to do, but you will need to set aside half an hour to get to grips with the process - and you'll need administrator access to your router.

First things first, turn on your console and go to Settings > Network Settings.

From here, you can change all the bits and gubbins which help your PS3 connect to the internet.

You will need to give your PS3 a static IP address. IP addresses are like street addresses, only for your internet network. A static IP address will ensure that your router always knows where it can find your PS3.

To do this, first you'll need to go to the Settings and Connection Status List and make a note of 2 numbers:

1. The 'IP Address'

2. The 'Default Router'

Once you've got these, back out of this menu and go to the Internet Connection Settings menu. From here, follow these steps:

1. Select 'Custom'

2. Select the type of connection your using (If your PS3 is plugged in to the router, select 'Wired', if not you're using a wireless connection, select that intead.)

3. If you selected wireless, set up your connection as normal untill you get to the IP Address menu.

4. If you selected wired, select 'Auto-Detect' at the next screen and continue to the IP Address menu.

5. At the IP Address menu, select 'Manual'.

Remember those numbers you marked down earlier? Here's why you noted them!

You'll now see a screen with 5 options:

IP Address

Here, you need to input the number you noted down earlier. However, you should change the last group of 3 digits to something else. Your safest bet is to increase this number by 50 and use that. So, if the IP address you noted earlier was 192.168.0.50 then your new IP address would be 192.168.0.100

Note that the numbers here only go up to 255, so use that as a maximum if you need to. Be sure to ONLY change the last group of numbers! Make a note of the number you decided to go with.

Subnet Mask

This is almost always 255.255.255.0, don't change this unless you have a specific reason to do so.

Default Router

The second of the numbers you wrote down, all you need to do here is input the IP address of your router.

Primary DNS

This bit is super easy. Remember the number you placed in 'Default Router'? Whack it in here again!

Secondary DNS

You don't need anything at all here, unless you have a specific reason to input a Secondary DNS.

Once you're done here, make sure to make a note of the IP address you entered at this menu and hit right on the d-pad to advance.

6. For MTU - select Automatic

7. Do not use a proxy server, unless you have a specific reason to use one!

8. UPnP - it's usually a good idea to enable this, but if you have voice comms trouble after using this guide, try disabling it.

9. Review the settings and test the connection!

Now, don't panic. Your PS3 may scream at you that it cant connect to PSN. In the words of Revolver Ocelot, "We're not finished yet!"

Your next task is to log on to your router as an administrator. Check your router's manual for details on how to do this (alternatively, google is your friend).

Somewhere in the plethora of settings and techy bits that make up your router's menu will be an option to assign a 'DMZ'. I cant point you directly to this since every router differs, your best bet is that good ole' friend google.

Once you find it, you'll be asked to input an IP address for your DMZ. Here, you need to put in the IP address you gave your PS3 earlier, the one you noted down after step 5 of this guide. Once you've done that, save your settings, wait for your router to sort itself out, then dance a bit - you're nearly done.

Troop over to your PS3 and go back into Network Settings. From here, select Internet Connection Test. If all has gone swimmingly, your test will be successful and your NAT Type will read '2'. Hurrah! Your console is demilitarised and has nothing to fear from aerial bombings* or multiplayer connection troubles.

Date:   Jun 03, 12 at 10:06am (PST)
I tried DMZ when my router forwarded the connections to the modem. Now that the PS3 goes directly to the modem (not getting the Router) on it's way, I can't put it in DMZ mode since my modem itself doesn't have that option.

Author:   Boyd
Date:   Jun 03, 12 at 10:42am (PST)
quote Vermillion
I tried DMZ when my router forwarded the connections to the modem. Now that the PS3 goes directly to the modem (not getting the Router) on it's way, I can't put it in DMZ mode since my modem itself doesn't have that option.
Can you put your modem into Bridge Mode? I have seen people doing that to fix Nat type problems.

Date:   Jun 03, 12 at 11:45am (PST)
I would have to do that if the modem was directly connected to the router, but they are completely different nodes now.
But I tried putting it in bridge mode when the modem was connected to the router. I killed the modem and had to restart it haha.

Author:   Mnmfan
Date:   Jun 03, 12 at 9:40pm (PST)
Yeah I had NAT3 for a long time even though it was wired. I was still able to play most games online though (except EA games, they never work with NAT3) although I did get many errors and problems such as bad/no sound coming from players using a mic.

Oddly though it was actually my young nephew that discovered how to change my router to NAT1. It was just a little trick he discovered that 'fools' the router into thinking it had NAT1. Unfortunatly it's a specific way of changing the settings that is is specific to our type of router. So I couldn't teach it to you.

Date:   Jun 03, 12 at 10:06pm (PST)
Thanks a lot for the replies so far guys.

But at this point, I'm absolutely certain I don't have to tinker with the router itself. My router is now just acting like an access point for all my wireless devices. The router and modem are acting as separate nodes, they are not directly connected to each other. Whatever I tinker with, it has to be the modem. Or just buy a new modem, because maybe that's the problem (this modem is from like 2003 so it's due to an update anyway).

Although, if anyone comes with something, I'm open to ideas.

Author:   nani17
Date:   Jun 04, 12 at 9:02am (PST)
Go into the modem and turn off the security settings and then try it wireless and see what happens

Date:   Oct 19, 12 at 7:03pm (PST)
The answer is probably no, but I will hold a little bit of hope and bump this anyway...

Has anyone been able to figure this out? I was able to download a full game from the PSN so I don't think this could be an Internet Problem. Sometimes I wish I could just plug the PS3 directly into the modem but that is sadly physically impossible...

Author:   Alieninvasion11
Date:   Oct 23, 12 at 8:13am (PST)
Lol Ok
I had this same problem, I have Century link dsl and their modem is what was making the strict NAT so.
Go to your modems settings and Turn it into Bridge mode that will basically make your modem use your router for all the security settings. Then Wire your console straight into the modem, that's what i do to get NAT type 1, but if i use the router i get NAT 2. Every time i play games like Call of duty i plug my Ethernet into the modem its self.
just google your modem and im sure your figure out how to do that, if your modem doesn't have a bridge mode im not sure what to tell you.

Edit: Read your post why cant you plug straight into the modem?

Date:   Oct 23, 12 at 8:52am (PST)
Because my PS3 and the modem are in different rooms, and I would need a very long cable to connect them. At that point I would have a cable going to both ends of my house and it's just not feasable.

I guess I can try to do the bridge mode again, but the couple of times I tried I killed it and had to restore it to default settings.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.