Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: HELP! PS3 will not let me insert disc. - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/30444/t1466021-help-ps3-not-let-insert-disc/

Author:   MistroPain
Date:   Dec 31, 09 at 12:34am (PST)
Subject:   HELP! PS3 will not let me insert disc.
-------------------------------------------
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this on but I couldnt find a technical related forum.
Anyways, im having issues with my PS3 in that it will not allow me to insert a disc, even when I manually push it all the way in.
If I do manually push it in it wont read, if I dont manually push it in and try to get the PS3 to do the nifty trick and pull the disc in itself it wont do that either.

On the Sony site it sais to keep your hand on the eject button for 10 or 15 seconds, ive done that and nothing happened. Ive also attempted to clean it by sticking a stick wrapped in microfibre cloth, and that has not worked either. Ive also switched my PS3 on and off plenty of times trying to get it to work each time, sometimes unplugging the power in between power on and off but that has not worked either.

Anyone know what the issue might be? Has anyone had this issue?
Help would be much appreciated.

If no one knows I might have to take it to a service shop to get them to inspect it. I hope my warranty covers this.

Author:   TheSkilledOne
Date:   Dec 31, 09 at 4:39am (PST)
Subject:   re: HELP! PS3 will not let me insert disc.
Only thing i can think of is your disc reader is broken, or maybe perhaps the sensor is broken so it won't even try to read the disc? nonetheless i'd have to say to bring it to your service shop, your warranty should cover it, as long as its less than a year, if not, Sony is pretty nice about this stuff.

Author:   CupsOfSauce
Date:   Dec 31, 09 at 4:44am (PST)
My friend had this problem. The laser that reads the disc got over strained. It happens from leaving your disc in the system while it's off. It still tries to read the disc even while it's off. It results in the blu ray laser getting F'd up somehow. He sent his in to get fixed. He never leaves discs in there anymore, and neither do I.

Also don't force any disc into it. That'll only cause more problems. What's worse than not being able to get a disc in, is not being able to get one out.

Author:   Jeterocks
Date:   Dec 31, 09 at 4:50am (PST)
Why the hell would you even think that jamming the disk into the system is going to make things better? Seriously?

I don't believe the "don't leave your disk in there" bullshit. I have never heard that in my life. I leave a disk in there all the time unless I'm traveling with my PS3. I have had mine since December 2006 and it still runs like a champ.

I bet the motor that sucks the disk in just burnt out. Time to get it fixed.

Author:   CupsOfSauce
Date:   Dec 31, 09 at 4:52am (PST)
Just because you don't believe it, doesn't mean it never happens.

The people from sony suggested not doing it, good enough for me.

Author:   reaver11
Date:   Dec 31, 09 at 6:05am (PST)
Like Jeter, I've had mine since '06, doing the same thing, leaving a disc inside for weeks, and mine hasn't had that problem whatsoever. I'm not dismissing the fact that it has happened, I'm just saying it is unlikely.

As for the OP's problem, I recommend having it repaired. There's obviously something wrong with it and whatever you do to it, unless you're fluent with taking things apart and putting them back together again, will ultimately damage it further.

Date:   Dec 31, 09 at 3:07pm (PST)
OK, thanks guys, I'll be heading the service shop as soon as I can.
Hopefully the warranty accepts this.

It might be to do with the disc thing, I always leave my discs inside my PS3 whilst it is off.

Author:   Crimson Fury
Date:   Dec 31, 09 at 3:56pm (PST)
quote CupsOfSauce
My friend had this problem. The laser that reads the disc got over strained. It happens from leaving your disc in the system while it's off. It still tries to read the disc even while it's off. It results in the blu ray laser getting F'd up somehow. He sent his in to get fixed. He never leaves discs in there anymore, and neither do I.

Also don't force any disc into it. That'll only cause more problems. What's worse than not being able to get a disc in, is not being able to get one out.

How could it possibly read the disc while the console is off? Just flip the switch on the back. Problem solved. If you have a slim, don't ask me why Sony took away the switch, that is an epic fail in my book. You'll have to unplug a slim. Either way, I do not believe for one second that it reads the disc while it is off... no matter what version console you have. The OP's drive sounds like it is defective. If it is out of warranty, I would order the replacement part and install it myself.

Date:   Jan 07, 10 at 9:04pm (PST)
Seems the problem has been resolved. It has been confirmed by PS3 that it may be due to me keeping the disc inside the console whilst it is off (What a spastic console afterall... Why on earth is it reading shit when its off?).
They sent me a new one (even with my warranty being 2 months out of date ).
Thanks everyone.

Author:   Crimson Fury
Date:   Jan 07, 10 at 9:16pm (PST)
So did you send them the console, they diagnosed it, then told you that?
That is incredible! It obviously had some issues going on.

Author:   Krunal
Date:   Jan 08, 10 at 9:36am (PST)
quote CupsOfSauce
It still tries to read the disc even while it's off. [/b]
Are you honestly serious? That would defeat the purpose of turning the console "off". I honestly don't see how leaving a disc inside a console that was designed for it would cause problems... unless it's something to do with the slim specifically since I have the FAT PS3 which works fine and well.[/size]

Author:   GreaterForce
Date:   Jan 31, 10 at 3:40pm (PST)
Ya, I have problem with PS3 too. I'll try to put a normal disc in, but it just blocks it like pushing it to a wall. First time there was a small disc-taking noise. Anyone can help me?

Author:   Jeterocks
Date:   Jan 31, 10 at 5:07pm (PST)
Try taking out the disk that is in the PS3 before you try and put a new one in.

Author:   Zero and X
Date:   Jan 31, 10 at 7:46pm (PST)
Lmao, ok, so a machine is powered by electricity right? So you're trying to propose, that a machine that is designed to work when there is electricity, is somehow magically working when there is no electricity being transmitted into the system?

Wow, the stupidity, it hurts.

Author:   mansjuspost
Date:   Jul 02, 10 at 9:43pm (PST)
it seems like my cd doesnt go in fully problems with gears?

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.