Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: What causes YLOD - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/30444/t1461596-causes-ylod/

Author:   Tommy Vercetti
Date:   Dec 20, 09 at 6:10am (PST)
Subject:   What causes YLOD
-------------------------------------------
I've been a PS3 owner for about a month and i was wondering what causes the YLOD

Author:   Jeterocks
Date:   Dec 20, 09 at 6:13am (PST)
Subject:   re: What causes YLOD
I'm pretty sure it is just faulty hardware. Nothing you can really do to avoid it, if there is a problem with the build of your system, you just might get it.

Author:   allen33and88
Date:   Dec 20, 09 at 7:50pm (PST)
Yep what Jeter said a faulty hardware issue, most likley the motherbord cracking, atleast that the most commomn hardware issue I know of, but is not limited to just that.

Author:   Jaseyboy12
Date:   Dec 21, 09 at 12:50pm (PST)
As being a victim of the YLOD twice now , there are 3 main causes of the YLOD.

1) Most often and most common is the cheap ass thermal paste that sony use on the RSX and CPU chips. Simply scrub it off with some Isopropyl alcohol and re-apply some Arctic Silver 5 or some Shin-Etsu thermal paste, screw it back together, and there you go.

2) The power supply is breaking / Broken, the only was to fix this is to either: I) Replace the Fuses in the power supply (May not always work) II) Fit a brand new Power supply 60GB uses APS-227 and other models use APS-232, A new power supply will cost you roughly £25.

3) The motherboard is fried, Not much can be done about this, apart from maybe a Reball, or it may a very nice Dinner tray.

My Ylods are, the first one was the thermal paste had broken down, and my second one, which happened a few days ago, is a faulty Power supply. I purchased a new power supply from eBay, but my parents already went out and bought a slim .

So yeah, there the reasons for a YLOD.

Author:   reaver11
Date:   Dec 21, 09 at 6:55pm (PST)
Just curious myself - will the older models inevitably suffer the YLOD, or is it based soley on "poor manufacturing", luck of the draw?

Also, are there any signs that indicate it will happen? I just need to know just so I can back up my data whenever. I don't want to empty half of my iPod unless I have to.

Author:   Gamer Boy
Date:   Dec 21, 09 at 7:45pm (PST)
Well one sign I have found is that the PS3 will freeze then beep then turn off but it will blink red instead of staying red so what you should do then is press the on button once then it will stay red then it leave for a couple of hours to cool down.

In some cases the PS3 will not turn on and you might have got the YLOD. But hopefully it won't happen to you like it has to me frickin' two times!

Author:   Darknet
Date:   Dec 21, 09 at 7:59pm (PST)
Microsoft

Author:   Dark Dom
Date:   Dec 21, 09 at 9:29pm (PST)
quote Darknet
Microsoft
Haha.

Do the PS3 slims get YLOD at all?

Author:   kakusei
Date:   Dec 21, 09 at 10:06pm (PST)
Would overheating cause it? My PS3 is near a vent and since it's winter, whenever the heat is on my PS3's fan goes overboard. I know, I should move it but still.

Author:   Jaw Knee
Date:   Dec 21, 09 at 10:24pm (PST)
Will Sony refund your PS3 purchase if you acquire it? I got mine from Walmart and didn't have the money to purchase the year long warranty and I think the three months receipt is over. I just don't want to go out and purchase another one for 300. -_- I haven't moved mine since early September, so I don't think anything will happen.

Author:   Gamer Boy
Date:   Dec 22, 09 at 9:40am (PST)
quote kakusei
Would overheating cause it? My PS3 is near a vent and since it's winter, whenever the heat is on my PS3's fan goes overboard. I know, I should move it but still.
Whoa that's a high risk of YLOD move your PS3 right now!

Author:   Jeterocks
Date:   Dec 22, 09 at 5:35pm (PST)
quote kakusei
...if you know you should move it, why don't you? Are you seriously willing to risk your system because you were to lazy to move it away from the vent? The system needs at least 6-10 inches on the right side and behind it in order to vent properly. Without that, then yes, you do risk over heating which in turn can cause internal damage.

Author:   ps3 i need help man
Date:   Mar 27, 11 at 12:26pm (PST)
i have got the yellow light of death and i have took the top of the fat ps3 (the first model released) and unscrewed the top ad blew and lots of dust came ou and i thought it would be OK but it is still giving me the light and i don't know what to do about it any help ??

Author:   Tomski
Date:   Mar 27, 11 at 1:47pm (PST)
quote ps3 i need help man
i have got the yellow light of death and i have took the top of the fat ps3 (the first model released) and unscrewed the top ad blew and lots of dust came ou and i thought it would be OK but it is still giving me the light and i don't know what to do about it any help ??
Well, you basically have 4 options:

1. If it's still under warranty (which I presume it's not with it being a fat model), take it back to the retailer and get it exchanged for another one.

2. You can send it to Sony and they will send you a refurbished console. This will cost you over £100 though.

3. You can attempt to fix it yourself. The best video guide people seem to use is one made gilksy1 on YouTube. You can see the first part to his tutorial by clicking here.

4. You can invest in a PS3 Slim. This is the most expensive option, but might be worth it in the long run.

When I got a YLOD, I decided to buy a PS3 Slim. There is a chance that a refurbished console sent to you buy Sony will get a YLOD as well, so a Slim may prove to be a better investment. I guess it all depends on your financial situation though. Fixing it yourself would be the cheapest option, but it depends if you have the time and patience to do it.

Good luck!

Author:   Griffsports
Date:   Mar 27, 11 at 1:49pm (PST)
So... I have a slim, i wont get the YLOD right

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.