Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Fall 07 Apple Lineup - page 2

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t993145-fall-07-apple-lineup/2.htm

Author:   axforts2212
Date:   Sep 07, 07 at 12:17am (PST)
Subject:   re: Fall 07 Apple Lineup
-------------------------------------------
Have you ever used a touch screen? The majority smudge easily. Youll have to carry around a micro fiber cloth if you care about the prints.

Author:   0172
Date:   Sep 07, 07 at 12:44am (PST)
Well, yeah, I have. My DS. I still doubt that something has not be done about smudging.

Author:   The Living Angelus
Date:   Sep 07, 07 at 12:46am (PST)
Video pods are not just for music videos. Some of you may not enjoy it, but for someone like me and the rest of us who get the full potential out of our ipods, the 160GB will be a nice addition to have. Now I can put all my Tv shows and Movies I've downloaded from itunes on my ipod at once. When I went on my cruise a few months back I didn't have enough memory on my 30GB ipod to hold them all and had to pick and select which ones I wanted to watch as well as which songs/artists to listen to.

The only thing I'm disliking is the news of NBC canceling their deal with Ipod. Season 1 of heroes is on my itunes, but now I wont be able to download Season 2 after each episode airs. >__<

Author:   0172
Date:   Sep 07, 07 at 1:35am (PST)
NBC canceled on iTunes? Why?

Author:   Diversion
Date:   Sep 07, 07 at 5:26am (PST)
Overall, I'm very impressed with the new Apple/iPod lineup. I am surprised that they're no longer offering white for the the classic iPod, but the larger hard drives and lower prices make up for that.

I like the fact that the Nano now has a larger screen and can now play videos. Overall it's a pretty good update to the previous Nano though the hard drive sizes haven't changed since the last update.

I'm somewhat interested in the touch and I really like that it has a built-in WiFi web browsing feature. The only downside is the that it's only being offered (for now) in 8GB and 16GB variants. Hopefully this will increase in the future. I could definitely see myself purchasing one sometime in the near future.

Author:   DCRage
Date:   Sep 07, 07 at 11:42am (PST)
quote 0172
It seemed to be a dispute over pricing. There were rumors that NBC wanted a big markup in prices, from Apple which would've translated to customers having to pay roughly $4.99 per episode for downloads from iTunes instead of the standard $1.99. The other sticking point was that iTunes doesn't offer terribly deep discounts for buying a whole season up front (generally it works out to if you buy a season pass at the start of the season, you'll eventually get 1-3 episodes free, usually 2 episodes). The end result is that all the NBC Universal shows are moving to Amazon.com's Unbox service, which also charges $1.99 per episode and supposedly offers better season discounts. Whether or not those downloads work on iPods, I don't know. I wouldn't complain too much except it means I'll just have to wait 2-3 years for the final season of Battlestar Galactica on DVD. (Ditto season 2 of Friday Night Lights and season 3 of My Name Is Earl)

Author:   Nath
Date:   Sep 07, 07 at 8:31pm (PST)
The Touch seems worthless, it's an iPhone without a telephone, they don't even attempt to hide it. $299 touch has 6 gigabytes, while a $250 classic has 80? If it's so important for the web browser, go all the way and get an iPhone.

The new nanos play video, but are uglier, and don't have the room to store them.

The classic looks the same, is there anything new besides more memory and the album art scroll thing?

I got my first iPod, a 30 gigabyte video last February, and it still suits me fine, I've used maybe 8 gigabytes.

Author:   samuraisushimonster
Date:   Sep 07, 07 at 9:57pm (PST)
the classics have much better battery life than the 5th generation video ipod

Author:   Master of the VG
Date:   Sep 08, 07 at 10:49pm (PST)
The iPod Touch is the only interesting new iPod for me. It would have been nice if they used a regular HD in it so its capacity could be over 16GB, but it still looks nice. It's price isn't all that good though.

quote Nath
If it's so important for the web browser, go all the way and get an iPhone.
The problem with the iPhone is that if you count the cost over two year contract, it winds up costing about $2,000.

Author:   b_eef
Date:   Sep 09, 07 at 3:57am (PST)
quote axforts2212
Im happy I snagged my 30gb black video when i did for a good price. none of those interest me
i second that.

Author:   ssj5_vegeta
Date:   Sep 09, 07 at 8:53am (PST)
I like the new iPods. This looks Kickass to me.

I don't know which Colour I should get.

Black or Silver?

Author:   Nath
Date:   Sep 09, 07 at 5:31pm (PST)
Wouldn't the internet on an iPod Touch cost money monthly, too? Or am I missing something?

Edit: I'll have to look into this so called Wi-Fi...

[size=1][color=#666666]This message was edited by Nath on Sep 09 2007.

Date:   Sep 09, 07 at 5:37pm (PST)
Probably not. Just go to a Wi-Fi Hotspot (like a bookstore, library, or fast-food joint) and connect there, it's probably free to do so.

Date:   Sep 29, 07 at 7:36pm (PST)
quote SummonerSupreme
quote 0172
It seemed to be a dispute over pricing. There were rumors that NBC wanted a big markup in prices, from Apple which would've translated to customers having to pay roughly $4.99 per episode for downloads from iTunes instead of the standard $1.99. The other sticking point was that iTunes doesn't offer terribly deep discounts for buying a whole season up front (generally it works out to if you buy a season pass at the start of the season, you'll eventually get 1-3 episodes free, usually 2 episodes). The end result is that all the NBC Universal shows are moving to Amazon.com's Unbox service, which also charges $1.99 per episode and supposedly offers better season discounts. Whether or not those downloads work on iPods, I don't know. I wouldn't complain too much except it means I'll just have to wait 2-3 years for the final season of Battlestar Galactica on DVD. (Ditto season 2 of Friday Night Lights and season 3 of My Name Is Earl)
Bumping this up so everyone knows...it appears that not all NBC shows are leaving iTunes. Here's what I've figured out: If it's an NBC show produced by NBC, Universal, or NBC Universal Studios, iTunes will not have new episodes (prior seasons of these shows are still available). But if it's produced by another studio (like Touchstone, Warner Bros., 20th Century Fox, etc.), it's probably still going to be available in iTunes. I say this because 3 NBC-aired series not produced by NBC Universal TV-Chuck, Journeyman, and My Name Is Earl-now have their series premieres (the season 3 premiere for Earl) available in the iTunes store, and a season pass is currently available for Earl. So if you're not sure, go to the iTunes store and check to see which TV studio produced it-obviously I'm optimistic because it seems Earl will be available because it's a 20th Century Fox-produced series even though NBC airs it. Hopefully happy downloading.

Author:   Master of the VG
Date:   Sep 29, 07 at 11:05pm (PST)
That's precisely what's happening. Distribution rights are different than broadcast rights so if the show is not made by NBC it will still be available on iTunes. You can read about it over here.

BTW, I will allow double posting if new information is being added and the topic is no longer on the first page. SummonerSupreme broke no rules in my view.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.