Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Syncing iPod to iTunes - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t982653-syncing-ipod-to-itunes/

Author:   Jadephoneix
Date:   Aug 25, 07 at 12:29am (PST)
Subject:   Syncing iPod to iTunes
-------------------------------------------
When putting your iPod in a different computer with a different iTunes the "do you wan't to sync to a different iTunes" thing is suppoused to pop up, right? But mine stopped popping up and I don't know how to sync my iPod back to my iTunes. Does anyone know how to?

Author:   DCRage
Date:   Aug 25, 07 at 12:57am (PST)
Subject:   re: Syncing iPod to iTunes
Do you see your iPod in the "My Computer" directory? If not, it could be a connection issue-you might want to look at this article.

Date:   Aug 25, 07 at 1:57am (PST)
It's not in My Computer but it's in iTunes so that shouldn't be the problem. Is there any other way to sync the iPod to an iTunes?

Author:   Master of the VG
Date:   Aug 25, 07 at 2:02am (PST)
Are you trying to get the songs off the iPod onto iTunes or are you trying to get songs on iTunes on your iPod?

If you have iTunes to sync manually then it won't prompt you about auto syncing.

Date:   Aug 25, 07 at 2:18am (PST)
The songs on my iTunes onto my iPod. The thing is when I sync manually on iTunes the songs don't actually go to my iPod. It just says syncing.

I'm guessing this is because I was using my iPod with a different computer/iTunes...

Date:   Aug 25, 07 at 2:23am (PST)
Are you trying to copy purchased songs from a different computer onto your iPod?

Date:   Aug 25, 07 at 3:20am (PST)
Well yeah. I just got a new computer and moved all my songs onto that computer. And then I downloaded new songs onto my new computer. But I can't get them to sync to my iPod.

Date:   Aug 25, 07 at 4:30am (PST)
Have you tried playing the songs in iTunes? It sounds like they aren't authorized. This article sort of goes over song authorization.

Date:   Aug 25, 07 at 5:03am (PST)
I've played them they all work... It can't be because of the songs because my old playlists from my old iTunes don't get replaced by my new ones from my new iTunes. It's just nothing from the new iTunes is syncing.

Date:   Aug 25, 07 at 5:24am (PST)
Are all your songs and other stuff on the new computer? If so, you might be better off trying to restore the iPod on the new computer to see if it clears up the problem. I haven't heard of this happening before when iTunes can see an iPod but doesn't sync anything or update it.

Date:   Aug 27, 07 at 12:25am (PST)
Yes all my songs are on my new computer. And how do I restore my iPod? I just figured out that when I plug in my iPod it's on My Computer for a second, and then it disappears, if that means anything.

Author:   DCRage
Date:   Aug 27, 07 at 12:38am (PST)
Here's how to restore your iPod (from Apple's website):
1. Make sure you've reinstalled the latest version of iTunes.
2. Open iTunes, and then connect your iPod to your computer.
3. After a few moments, it will appear in the Source list in iTunes.
4. Select your iPod in the Source list and you will see information about it appear in the Settings tab of the main iTunes windows.
5. Click the Restore button. You will be prompted with one or more restore options that may prompt iTunes to automatically download of the latest iPod Software. The 4 possible restore options are:
Restore Option 1: Restore - Restores with same iPod Software version already on iPod.
Restore Option 2: Use Same Version - Restores with same iPod Software version already on iPod even though a newer version is available.
Restore Option 3: Use Newest Version - Restores with the latest iPod Software on your computer.
Restore Option 4: Restore and Update - Restores with the latest iPod Software on your computer.
6. A progress bar will appear on the computer screen indicating that the first stage of the restore process has started. When this stage is completed, iTunes will instruct you to leave iPod connected to your computer to complete restore.
7. During the stage 2 of the restore process, the iPod will show an Apple logo as well as a progress bar at the bottom of the display. It is critical that the iPod remains connected to the computer or iPod Power adapter during this stage. Note: The progress bar may be difficult to see since the backlight on the iPod display may be off.
8. After stage 2 of the restore process is complete and the iPod is connected to the computer, the iTunes Setup Assistant window will appear asking you to name your iPod and choose your syncing preferences similar to when you connected your iPod for the first time.

Warning: Because Restore erases all of the songs and files on iPod, make sure to back up any files you've saved on the iPod disk. All of your songs, videos, podcasts, audiobooks, and games can be loaded back to your iPod provided that you have them stored in your iTunes Library.

As for iPod not showing up in My Computer, try reading this article and try the troubleshooting steps there.

Date:   Aug 27, 07 at 9:58pm (PST)
Woot it finally works! Thanks for all the help guys.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.