Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: iPod to PC, using it like a readable drive - uh I think - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t926289-ipod-to-pc-using-like-readable-drive-uh-think/

Author:   ChiroVette
Date:   Jun 23, 07 at 9:20pm (PST)
Subject:   iPod to PC, using it like a readable drive - uh I think
-------------------------------------------
Okay, I may have posted this one before, but I cannot find the thread if I did. I need a program that can read my iPod and copy all my tunes over to my hard drive. Now, before anyone starts screaming about pirating, let me allay any issues in that regard: EVERY single song on my iPod is from my personal collection and I OWN it all, either on discs or on fullly licensed and PURCHASED music. The problem I am having is this:

My 60 GB iPod is jammed with music and I have iTunes on my Laptop. Now I deleted a shitload of songs from my iPod library on the laptop and so when I hooked my iPod to the laptop, no problem as it updates with ONLY what I want. However, when I installed itunes on my NEW computer at work, and hooked up my external HD, an odd thing happened. iTunes is trying to install EVERY single song in the folder on my drive that I pointed it to to look at for iTunes. The LAST THING I want to do is to go through every single file on the external HD.

So, to make a long story longer, what I want to do is to COPY everything from my iPod to another directory, either on my external HD or on the HD of my new PC. Then I want to wipe out the whole OLD directory that iTunes currently wants to look at and now only use the new one.

In short, for those of you who don't want to read all that, I want to COPY everything from my iPod to my PC without having to use iTunes at first. In fact, to avoid iTunes updating my iPod automatically when I hook the unit to my PC, I un-installed iTunes completely and will reinstall it when I copy everything from my iPod.

Not sure if this posts makes a whole lot of sense lol, but there ya have it.

Edit: Corrected typo in my title

This message was edited by ChiroVette on Jun 23 2007.

Author:   bobbonew
Date:   Jun 23, 07 at 10:30pm (PST)
Subject:   re: iPod to PC, using it like a radable drive - uh I think
This is extremely easy. Do a tools >> folder options >> View >> View hidden files.

Connect your iPod to your computer. Open up the iPod from your My Computer. You should see a folder in there called ipod_control or music that didn't exist. All your music is stored there, copy away.

Date:   Jun 23, 07 at 10:48pm (PST)
Thanks bobbonew! I am copying the whole iPod to my HD. LMAO the estimated time for the 45+ GB transfer from the iPod to my PC is just over two hours.

Author:   Jimbo999
Date:   Jun 23, 07 at 10:49pm (PST)
You could back everything up on a CD and then delet everything then restore everything on the new computer/HD wire thingy.

Thats what i do...

Author:   bobbonew
Date:   Jun 23, 07 at 10:54pm (PST)
Subject:   re: iPod to PC, using it like a readable drive - uh I think
quote ChiroVette
Thanks bobbonew!

No thanks is necessary. Just a favor. A favor I shall call in at a dire time of need when you least expect it, that shall make you crumble before my feet......... I mean, your welcome lol

Date:   Jun 23, 07 at 10:57pm (PST)
Subject:   re: iPod to PC, using it like a readable drive - uh I think
Yeah, um dude? Last time I checked, 45 GB isn't going to fit on even a DVD, much less a CD. lol Nah, what I will do is copy everything from my iPod to the new HD of my PC, then re-install iTunes and point it to the new music folder and see what happens. Maybe when I get a Blu-ray burner when they come on the market.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.