Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Burning MP3 CD's Using iTunes - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t850790-burning-mp3-cds-using-itunes/

Author:   el croz
Date:   Mar 09, 07 at 10:56am (PST)
Subject:   Burning MP3 CD's Using iTunes
-------------------------------------------
My goal is to burn an "MP3 compilation CD" for the car.

I am running iTunes 7.1

OK, so when I import a regular audio CD into iTunes it is converted into AAC. If say, I add downloaded MP3's from my hard drive to iTunes they remain as MP3's. Obviously.

So here's the problem...

If I want to burn an MP3 compilation CD using iTunes, it will only burn MP3's and not any AAC/MP4's.

Is there any way around this so iTunes can convert the MP4/AAC files into MP3 just for the CD????

Sorry if this has been mentioned before and/or being a halfwit

Thank you in advance for any idea's.

This message was edited by el croz on Mar 09 2007.

Author:   Master of the VG
Date:   Mar 10, 07 at 3:36am (PST)
Subject:   re: Burning MP3 CD's Using iTunes
Found in the iTunes help file.

quote iTunes Help
To create an MP3 CD:
  1. Choose Edit > Preferences, click Advanced, and then click Burning.
  2. Choose MP3 CD as the Disc Format, and then click OK.
  3. Select the playlist containing the songs you want to burn to the CD, and make sure all the songs you want to include have a checkmark beside them.
  4. Click the Burn MP3 CD button (at the bottom of the iTunes window).
  5. Insert a blank disc and click Burn MP3 CD again.
If the playlist contains more songs than fit on a CD, iTunes burns only the number of songs that fit on one disc, and then asks you to insert another disc to continue burning the remaining songs.

Author:   SystemOfAtak
Date:   Mar 10, 07 at 8:54am (PST)
quote Master of the VG

quote iTunes Help
To create an MP3 CD:
  3. Select the playlist containing the songs you want to burn to the CD, and make sure all the songs you want to include have a checkmark beside them.
If the playlist contains more songs than fit on a CD, iTunes burns only the number of songs that fit on one disc, and then asks you to insert another disc to continue burning the remaining songs.

so if you do this you can put like 150 songs onto the cd correct???

and all you do is get a playsit and select all of the tracks that you want to put it into mp3 format correct??

Author:   lanky man
Date:   Mar 10, 07 at 10:58am (PST)
If it fits - for example, most CD-R's (Non-re-writeable) have a 70 minute / 800 Mb limit, which means you can fit on about 20 songs, but have space for other data. So you can store the data of songs, but only the 20 MP3's will play.

Author:   el croz
Date:   Mar 10, 07 at 11:28am (PST)
quote Master of the VG

quote iTunes Help
To create an MP3 CD:
Thanks Master of the VG for your reply.

So just to clarify, All songs in my iTunes library (in various formats: MP3, AAC/MP4 etc) can be burnt onto CD as MP3? iTunes will convert the non MP3 files into MP3 for the said CD?

Thanks old chap.

Author:   Master of the VG
Date:   Mar 10, 07 at 4:05pm (PST)
It should convert all of the non MP3 files into MP3s although I'm not sure if it will convert iTunes bought tracks.

quote systemofatak
so if you do this you can put like 150 songs onto the cd correct???

and all you do is get a playsit and select all of the tracks that you want to put it into mp3 format correct??
It depends on what bitrate and length the tracks are. If the bitrate is lower or if the songs are short you could fit more on the CD. I haven't used iTunes to make an MP3 cd (Just Nero) so I just going off what the help file says.

quote lanky man
If it fits - for example, most CD-R's (Non-re-writeable) have a 70 minute / 800 Mb limit, which means you can fit on about 20 songs, but have space for other data. So you can store the data of songs, but only the 20 MP3's will play.
The 70 minute limit is an estimation as to how much CDA or WAV audio can be put on the CD (as 70 or so minutes takes approximately 800MB in .cda or .wav). A CD player that can play MP3 CDs will play all MP3 songs on the CD.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.