quote iPod 101
If you have an iPod with a display and want manual control of your music (this doesn't apply to iPod shuffle users), first make sure that iTunes isn't set to automatically update songs whenever you connect your iPod. If you need to change this status, do this first:
- Connect your iPod to your computer and open iTunes if it does not open automatically
- Choose your iPod under DEVICES in the Source pane.
- In the resulting iPod Settings, click the Summary tab.
- Choose the "Manually manage songs and playlists" radio button. This will unselect all sync options in the Music, Movies, and TV Shows tabs.
- If you want to manage Podcasts, Photos, Contacts, and Games manually as well, click the Podcasts, Photos, Contacts, and Games tabs and turn off each of their sync options.
- Click Apply.