Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: iPod hearing loss - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t783356-ipod-hearing-loss/

Author:   iPod freak
Date:   Nov 15, 06 at 6:27am (PST)
Subject:   iPod hearing loss
-------------------------------------------
Does iPods earphones really make you go deaf? According to wikipedia, it says that iPods will cause hearing loss if listened for too long at loud levels. Is this true? What about the over-the-ears stle headphones?

Author:   Ghettomusick
Date:   Nov 15, 06 at 6:55am (PST)
Subject:   re: iPod hearing loss
From what I have heard, it is true. Just do not listen to your iPod on full volume. If the volume is at full volume, it can damage the choclea in your ear. The choclea help the brain interpret sound so if they are destoyed, hearing obviously becomes more of a challenge. My Biology told me that the iPod also sends radioactive waves via the headphones into our ears, causing a disruption in brain development. There are these things that you can attach to an iPod to reduce the amount of radioactivity it sends out by 80%. If you're interested, I think Best Buy might sell them.

Author:   Capoland
Date:   Nov 15, 06 at 9:04am (PST)
ok i bet the ipod earphones can cause hearing loss but i doubt it can send out radioactive waves, i mean come on how could it possibly do that...

Author:   Ghettomusick
Date:   Nov 15, 06 at 10:38pm (PST)
That's just what I heard. My teacher is known for being a little crazy though (she thinks talking to water will purify it).

Author:   Alpha
Date:   Nov 15, 06 at 11:49pm (PST)
...An iPod cannot create gamma waves, and ear buds, or headphones cannot emmit them. End of story.

Author:   Master of the VG
Date:   Nov 17, 06 at 4:10am (PST)
Yes an iPod can cause permanent hearing damage if you listen to it at high volumes and for prolonged times.

As for the ear buds being radioactive they aren't. They probably emit magnetic radiation of some sort but that has nothing to do with radioactive properties (alpha and beta radiation and whatnot).

Author:   Jaymess 24
Date:   Nov 18, 06 at 10:58am (PST)
Has any1 heard about that daft american who tryed to sue apple because he got an ear infection because his ipod was too loud???? How daft is that!!!!!

This message was edited by Jaymess 24 on Nov 19 2006.

Author:   RedFoxBandit
Date:   Nov 19, 06 at 5:08pm (PST)
[Inappropriate Comments Removed]

Also: iPods can cause damage to ears by damaging the hair cells in the cochlea, which turn vibrations into neural impulses that are sent to the brain to interpret sound. The hair cells in the cochlea are usually damaged by listening to loud sounds over a long period of time or extremely loud sounds over a short period of time. For example, an iPod at maximum volume for 4 hours or working for an airline company around jets for years.

This message was edited by Master of the VG(moderator) on Nov 19 2006.

Author:   axforts2212
Date:   Nov 19, 06 at 5:32pm (PST)
I got an ear infection from my iPod lol. Don't listen to your iPod right after you shower lawl. But its not something I'm suing apple over haha

Date:   Nov 19, 06 at 6:03pm (PST)
I didn't hear about this lawsuit but it wouldn't work since it's the guy's fault for listening to his music loud, not Apples. I think some time ago someone tried suing Nintendo because their Gameboy made them go deaf but I don't remember the results (probably tossed out of court).

RedFoxBandit, flaming is unacceptable behavior in this forum. Do it again and you will be banned. Jaymess 24, I recommend that you edit your post to make it less offensive.

Author:   BEEBman
Date:   Nov 20, 06 at 6:02pm (PST)
omg..im gonna be deaf in a few months...crap

Author:   BLinK0
Date:   Nov 21, 06 at 2:15am (PST)
When I listen to my iPod I don't use those stupid ear buds that go like in your ear, I use the ones that are just on the outside. If you use the earbuds it's obviously it's going to hurt your hearing.

Date:   Nov 22, 06 at 11:35pm (PST)
Regular headphones can cause just as much damage to your hearing as earbuds can. It all depends on the intensity of the sound reaching your eardrum. Obviously the earbuds are closer to your eardrum than regular headphones so they can damage hearing at a lower volume.

A good rule of thumb is that if you ears are ringing after you are done listening to the music it's too loud.

Author:   Willow
Date:   Dec 15, 06 at 2:50pm (PST)
Is this just an ipod thing because surely it's a general mp3 thing, why is listening to an ipod at the same volume as any other mp3 player going to do more damage to your ears?

Author:   Jaymess 24
Date:   Dec 15, 06 at 2:53pm (PST)
I think its just them earphones. They dont work well now for most of my mates and me.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.