Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: iPod battery - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t749735-ipod-battery/

Author:   Earl Fontaine
Date:   Sep 07, 06 at 8:41pm (PST)
Subject:   iPod battery
-------------------------------------------
ok i dunno whats on the go but it seems my battery doesn't last too long, i was just wondering how long does your batteries last? and also is there a way to make yer battery last longer???

and lol, i also wanted to know is it a good idea to let the battery wear out b4 u charge it up again. thanks

Author:   BLinK0
Date:   Sep 07, 06 at 9:46pm (PST)
Subject:   re: iPod battery
If you have a Video, the don't last very long. They'll be like 3-5 hours of music.

Date:   Sep 07, 06 at 10:21pm (PST)
all i have on it is music...119 songs(2GB of space, nano)

Author:   Master of the VG
Date:   Sep 07, 06 at 10:58pm (PST)
How long the battery lasts in your iPod depends on many factors. If you have the LCD and backlight on a lot, the battery will drain quickly. Heat will also adversely affects batter life. If you want some quick tips on saving battery life, this page can be of some help.

Now you don't need to completely discharge your battery before recharging since iPods use lithium ion batteries. You should use the iPod enough so that it has a total of a 100% discharge each month (it doesn't have to be one full one, it could be 5 20% discharges, 2 50% discharges, etc.)

Date:   Sep 07, 06 at 11:48pm (PST)
thanks a lot.

so which is better tho a colder climate er a more warmer one?

Date:   Sep 08, 06 at 12:06am (PST)
I haven't read much on lithium ion batteries in below freezing temperatures but in general the colder the better in terms of battery life. Now by battery life I mean how long the battery will last until it needs to be replaced. Lithium Ion batteries lose their ability to hold a charge gradually over time and the temperature they are stored in has a great effect on how long they can hold a significant charge.

Author:   Stevebeoulve2
Date:   Sep 08, 06 at 1:47am (PST)
Um, so we can stick our iPod into our freezer to make the battery last longer?

I'm not kidding. Or maybe not that extreme, maybe in the fridge or something

Date:   Sep 08, 06 at 2:52am (PST)
Using a freezer or a refrigerator would be a bad idea as both of them will cause condensation which will shorten the lifespan of your iPod (really quick too). I'm not sure how exactly keeping it cool to extend battery life works. It may need to be charging, discharging, or doing nothing in low temperatures or maybe it needs to be in the low temperatures at all times. I'd need to do some research first. All I know is that a lot of heat will shorten the life span of the battery.

Author:   The Slayer
Date:   Sep 08, 06 at 3:25am (PST)
My 4gig ipod nano lasts about 10 to 13 hours before the charge bar turns red. around that time is when I charge it up. I belive if you place regular batteries (like AA, AA, D, ect) in a refigerator, it will make them last longer before you use them.

As for sticking your ipod in your freezer/refigerator, what if you seal it in a plastic bag so that it gets cold, but no condensation gets in?

Date:   Sep 08, 06 at 3:35am (PST)
No, that still won't work since air will be in the bag and the iPod. Air contains some amount of water vapor in it and when it cools it will condense. All it takes is one short to screw up an electronic device.

I'm not sure what the effect of cool temperatures on other batteries are although I used to put alkaline batteries in the fridge a long time ago and it seemed as if I was able to squeeze a bit more juice out of nearly dead ones.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.