Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: iPod Mini Installation Issues - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t693716-ipod-mini-installation-issues/

Author:   Timber Wolf
Date:   Jun 01, 06 at 11:15am (PST)
Subject:   iPod Mini Installation Issues
-------------------------------------------
I recently got an iPod Mini off Ebay. It came practically new with all of the original wires and software in all of the original packaging. Everything seems to be in order but during installation when i get to the "your ipod needs to be configured" screen prompting me to plug in my iPod and hit the big OK button, things go wrong.

The window immediately grays itself out into the background regardless if it's the top window. When i hit OK, nothing happens. When i plug in my iPod, it just says "do not disconnect" and the little arrows spin at the top left. I left it on like this for 5 hours with no result. Canceling the screen just installs the update software thing and iTunes.

Windows only recognizes the iPod as removable storage and when i try to access it, it prompts me to format the drive (which i'm afraid to do). iTunes seems to be even less help...

Any ideas?

Author:   Fourth Dimension
Date:   Jun 01, 06 at 11:40am (PST)
Subject:   re: iPod Mini Installation Issues
Got this from Apple's homepage, which may help. It's a step-by-step guide which tells you how to reset your iPod to it's factory setting. This helped me when I had a similar problem to you.

quote Apple Support
1. Connect your iPod to your computer.
2. Quit iTunes.
3. Open the current iPod Updater. You can download the latest iPod Updater from the iPod support site.
4. Use the Restore option in iPod Updater. You will see an alert message that asks you to confirm this choice. This will restore your iPod to the factory settings, erasing all information on your iPod.
5. During the restore, your iPod will un-mount, and a progress indicator will be displayed on your iPod.
6. When your iPod is finished restoring quit the updater, and launch iTunes.
7. You will be asked to name your iPod, and confirm the settings.
8. When you are done, click the eject button next to the iPod in the iTunes source list.
Hope that helps.

Author:   Timber Wolf
Date:   Jun 01, 06 at 5:58pm (PST)
Subject:   re: iPod Mini Installation Issues
Much thanks to you, sir. Restoring factory settings cleared things right up.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.