Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: i killed my ipod :-( can i still get my data back? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t687795-killed-my-ipod-still-get-my-data-back/

Author:   russtafari
Date:   May 19, 06 at 10:16am (PST)
Subject:   i killed my ipod :-( can i still get my data back?
-------------------------------------------
ok its a long story, but basically my ipod (4G 40gig)took some serious water damage and also snapped the hard drive cable.. dont reckon its even worth trying to get it repaired, but what i'm wondering is, the hard drive still seems to be in one piece, can i still get the stuff on my data partition back somehow? my music's all backed up at home, but there's about 2 months worth of travel photos on the drive and nowhere else, so you can imagine its pretty important to me to get in there somehow and get my files back.
big thanks to anyone who can help me
russ

Author:   Child of Death and D
Date:   May 20, 06 at 12:29am (PST)
Subject:   re: i killed my ipod :-( can i still get my data back?
If it's that dilapidated, you may just want to get a repairman. Even then, they probably couldn't guarantee you anything, as the thing does depend on batteries, and the hard drive could've short-circuited. It's a little too risky to be dissecting the thing yourself.

The thing can't connect to your computer at all? =V

Author:   russtafari
Date:   May 20, 06 at 9:53am (PST)
the ipod itself is knackered, wont even turn on, its an old one and i dont reckon its even worth the cost of repair, probably involve replacing almost all of the innards. i've taken it apart and unplugged the drive, which seems to have a fairly standard connection, i just wanna know how i can read the data from the drive without it being inside an ipod? i dunno if i connected it to a normal pc hard drive bay would it be recognised or would it kill my data altogether. if the worst comes to the worst i might have to sweet talk/ bribe my mate into letting me open his ipod and switch the drives, but there must be an easier way.

Author:   zanderman
Date:   May 20, 06 at 1:10pm (PST)
if you have another broken mp3 player somewhere you can take out the hard drive and put it in that, it worked putting a 5th gen 20 gig into a 10 gig iRiver

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.