Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: a few questions on my new ipod and itunes - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t673341-few-questions-on-my-new-ipod-itunes/

Author:   woodkm
Date:   Apr 18, 06 at 7:11pm (PST)
Subject:   a few questions on my new ipod and itunes
-------------------------------------------
I have a couple of questions about the Itunes program, and the Apple Ipod. Though maybe you all could help. Basically they all boil down to me, wanting to be able to use the Ipod, as an external drive so that I can go off to other computers and file transfer to and from, as well as using it to see the pictures and songs...With no (file type) issues.

1) I see that it auto converted to .ACC files. But I want them to be MP3 files, so that when and If I were to use a friend's computer, without Itunes, he can get my music. But can other programs convert AAC files? Or are AAC files just as excepted with most things, like MP3 files are?

2) My pictures. I had some at work, and I put them on my Ipod through the external drive under, "my computer." I can access the on my computer at home, but they dont show up on the Ipod until i have Itunes update them. Why is that?

3) that brings up another question. Why can I not use my Ipod, like a normal external hard drive and still be able to play that music which I put on there through the hard drive manually, and not through a program? I really want to be able to just copy songs and pics onto my ipod manually without a program, and be able to play them on the ipod, as well as file transfer this stuff to other computers.

4) Also....Why cannot I not go into the external drive in, "my computer" and see the pictures there, like I can with the songs?

Author:   Tobbi
Date:   Apr 27, 06 at 2:29pm (PST)
Subject:   re: a few questions on my new ipod and itunes
Hi

me too !!!

but i don't think it works that way... its an apple product. Think u need to get a different mp3 player if u want that functionality.... i think its stupid, i wish i examined it a bit more before i bought my Ipod.

Anybody correct me if i'm wrong, would like to get a fix for this as well.

Author:   Master of the VG
Date:   Apr 30, 06 at 9:34pm (PST)
There are programs that will convert AAC files to other but I haven't personally used any. AAC files aren't compatible with a lot of MP3 players so if you want to play the tracks on another MP3 player you should stick with MP3.

I'm not sure why you can't view photos or play tracks when you add them via the hard drive. Maybe the iPod needs to update its playlist. I'm not quite sure.

Author:   metafor
Date:   May 01, 06 at 1:14am (PST)
1) I see that it auto converted to .ACC files. But I want them to be MP3 files, so that when and If I were to use a friend's computer, without Itunes, he can get my music. But can other programs convert AAC files? Or are AAC files just as excepted with most things, like MP3 files are?
You can manually convert files to .MP3 format via Itunes (click on the song, go to "Advanced" and click on "Convert Selection to MP3"). Though I thought iTunes automatically converted them when you added them to the library...

2) My pictures. I had some at work, and I put them on my Ipod through the external drive under, "my computer." I can access the on my computer at home, but they dont show up on the Ipod until i have Itunes update them. Why is that?
Huh?

3) that brings up another question. Why can I not use my Ipod, like a normal external hard drive and still be able to play that music which I put on there through the hard drive manually, and not through a program? I really want to be able to just copy songs and pics onto my ipod manually without a program, and be able to play them on the ipod, as well as file transfer this stuff to other computers.
You need to install the iPod on the computer, otherwise it will not optimize your files for iPod use.

I'd advise against manual transfers, but I'm sure it's possible.

4) Also....Why cannot I not go into the external drive in, "my computer" and see the pictures there, like I can with the songs?
Again, Huh?

Oh, I forgot... since the pictures are minimized for iPod use, they are converted to .thmb format. To be able to see them normally, just go to the Preferences window (like I said before, or just press Ctrl+,), and on the iPod tab, click on "Photos". Click the "copy full resolution photos" checkbox, and press OK. That should do it.

Then just click the "Photos" folders, and click "Full Resolution". First the folder will be the year the pictures were last updated, then the month, and finally the day. The photos will then appear in full resolution.

This message was edited by metafor on Apr 30 2006.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.