Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Origami Project looks to be the Microsoft’s new copy of iPod - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t652080-origami-project-looks-to-microsoft-new-copy-of-ipod/

Author:   bizet2006
Date:   Mar 02, 06 at 3:04am (PST)
Subject:   Origami Project looks to be the Microsoft’s new copy of iPod
-------------------------------------------
Someone a heard about this Microsoft new device call Origami Project. On the forum origamiprojectforum.com people write that Microsoft will lunch a new iPod's competitor on March 04. I'm not impress by the Origami design, on the pictures it look more like a prototype that a commercial product. What do you think about it?

Bizet

Author:   Cdemon
Date:   Mar 02, 06 at 3:05am (PST)
Subject:   re: Origami Project looks to be the Microsoft’s new copy of iPod
Competitor to iPod? WTF? It's a *bleep*ing PC, haha...

Author:   cinnamonandgravy
Date:   Mar 02, 06 at 3:16am (PST)
its not to compete with the ipod. its supposed to do 100x more things than an ipod, even play the original halo. however its only supposed to be able to do that, who knows what it actually can do.

Author:   KingThomasOfThePS2
Date:   Mar 02, 06 at 5:28am (PST)
I don't know about Halo, but it is (According to Endgadget) a "handheld tablet PC like device that will play videos, music, games, run basic Office apps, and access the Internet."

BTW: This is the official Origami webpage. It is very cryptic and gives little to no info about the product. The "Week Two" link opened up within the past couple of hours. The most interesting thing: The rest will be revealed on 3.9.06 or so it says.

Author:   HBK619
Date:   Mar 02, 06 at 8:17am (PST)
It's just like a laptop really. It can do many things, is technically "portable" but no where near as portable as something like a PSP or iPod, and it will definately be much more expensive. I can understand Microsoft wanting a share of the handheld market, but claiming it can compete with an iPod when it's not even a mP3 player? wtf? I don't really see this thing selling awfully well, or being any threat to the iPod.

Author:   Transagent
Date:   Mar 02, 06 at 3:37pm (PST)
I dont think people will buy it since mainly the mainstream users want only music most of the time.

Author:   Dan Mumford
Date:   Mar 02, 06 at 5:50pm (PST)
Copy of iPod? hmmm, seems like anything that plays mp3's is a 'copy of the iPod'

...and however good or bad it is, it will trample the iPod...

Author:   cinnamonandgravy
Date:   Mar 02, 06 at 7:19pm (PST)
theres a 2-yr old video made by microsoft showing 'exactly' what they want to do with it. its somewhere on the internet.

Author:   guest2020
Date:   Mar 04, 06 at 6:59am (PST)
I'm actually pretty excited about this thing, I just hope it doesnt dissapoint.

-guest2020

Link Removed

This message was edited by Master of the VG(moderator) on Mar 04 2006.

Author:   Golden Miru warrior
Date:   Mar 05, 06 at 9:21pm (PST)
Screw you microsoft. You already have your fingers in most of the other systems and markets, and your machines don't even work well.

From what I read it seemed like they didn't intend to release it until 2007 or so. Who knows what state the market will be at then?

The iPod does have plenty of time to step up. We could see a touch screen on versions by the end of this year, if they try to get their version of a superior player out before microsoft can.

Author:   The5thAvacado
Date:   Mar 06, 06 at 12:43am (PST)
quote Transagent
I dont think people will buy it since mainly the mainstream users want only music most of the time.
That didn't stop Sony.

quote HBK619
It's just like a laptop really. It can do many things, is technically "portable" but no where near as portable as something like a PSP or iPod, and it will definately be much more expensive. I can understand Microsoft wanting a share of the handheld market, but claiming it can compete with an iPod when it's not even a mP3 player? wtf? I don't really see this thing selling awfully well, or being any threat to the iPod.
I don't think it will be too great either, but that's okay because Microsoft has Apple beat in everything but music.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.