Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: old library, new library - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t651066-old-library-new-library/

Author:   khashi
Date:   Feb 27, 06 at 3:43am (PST)
Subject:   old library, new library
-------------------------------------------
i formatted my computer and lost all my itunes files and my ipod library. i reinstalled itunes, is there anyway to keep my old songs on the ipod and upload new playlists?

Author:   The5thAvocado
Date:   Feb 27, 06 at 4:18am (PST)
Subject:   re: old library, new library
Well, the iPod will update itself to the Library, meaning that any songs that are not there will be deleted. The only thing I can think of is to download all the songs again...

Date:   Feb 27, 06 at 4:41am (PST)
damn it. damn apple is either too smart or ignorant

Author:   bobbonew
Date:   Feb 27, 06 at 6:45am (PST)
Apple will NOT help you move songs from your iPod to your PC. It is unsupported 100%, so do not even try it by them. There are tons of software out there that will do the job for you. Google search your criteria "copy songs from ipod to computer", and you will get many hits. Many applications are also free to operate as well.

You can also view your iPod in "My Computer", and the hidden folder "ipod control" is present in the iPod directory. There is all your songs, but their names are encrypted. You can do that as a last resort if you can't find any software.

And just an FYI, when you connect your iPod with songs to an empty library, the software ASKS you FIRST if you want to replace the library on your iPod. Just say no and nothing is erased. Good luck, and post back what happens for ya. The sad icon error is a pain in the ass.

Date:   Feb 28, 06 at 4:36am (PST)
thanks for the help man. will try it tomorrow

Author:   cinnamonandgravy
Date:   Feb 28, 06 at 5:14am (PST)
when you formatted, only blank code was written over your songs, so theyre technically still on your hard drive, its all a matter of finding the proper program to get them back, or some of them at least.

Author:   bobbonew
Date:   Feb 28, 06 at 9:00pm (PST)
cinnamonandgravy, I do not think he erased the songs on his iPod and want to retrieve them, he already has them on his iPod and wants to move them from there to his computer.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.