Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Capacity/Storage Error - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t639651-capacity-storage-error/

Author:   suckafish
Date:   Jan 29, 06 at 2:57am (PST)
Subject:   Capacity/Storage Error
-------------------------------------------
I have 1146, or 5.13 gb used, songs on my 20gb photo ipod, and there is a small problem. When I go to setings, it sats "Capacity: 18.5" like it should, but where it says "Available" is says "14.5 gb" and its almost like that is stuck or something and has never changed.....what is wrong?? ive tried restarting my ipod but it still shows up the same in the settings. its almost like i have infinite space, and the ticker for the "Available GB" is stuck. can someone please help me?

Author:   bobbonew
Date:   Jan 29, 06 at 7:44pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Capacity/Storage Error
Welcome to neoseeker first off. Sounds to me like you need a software refresh to your iPod. Make sure your entire music collection is in your iTunes before you do this because it will remove all the songs from your unit.

If you haven't arleady installed iPod Updater when you first got your iPod (you should still get an updated version of the program on Apple.com as it was rerelased the tenth), install that. Then connect your iPod to your computer and run that program. Select the option out of the two to install factory settings to your ipod.

It will then format the units harddrive and install the necessary software on it. That should fix your problem. If it doesn't, then its more serious, and should probobly be brought up with an Apple customer service for a more serious fix. Good luck and tell us how it goes!

Date:   Jan 30, 06 at 11:20pm (PST)
thanks, ill try that out and let you know the results...

Date:   Feb 03, 06 at 8:17pm (PST)
yup, that fixed the problem, thanks man.

Author:   Weapon
Date:   Feb 03, 06 at 8:38pm (PST)
I have the same problem so I'll try your suggestion also bobbo, thanks.

Edit: Worked for myself also.

This message was edited by Weapon on Feb 03 2006.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.