Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: iPod sorting/alphabetizing problem. Need help. - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t622478-ipod-sorting-alphabetizing-problem-need-help/

Author:   ChiroVette
Date:   Dec 19, 05 at 4:50pm (PST)
Subject:   iPod sorting/alphabetizing problem. Need help.
-------------------------------------------
Okay you folks are all awesome with helping me through all the myriad of problems I have faced with my iPod so here's another challenge for ya!

I am having a "sorting" issue with one of my menu's. I am an avid Gratfeul Dead fan, and Dead.net has put out a series called "Dick's Picks", which are basically officially released concerts on CD's. they are up to number 36 and I have all of them. Now no matter how I renamed them, in iTunes they are all jumbled up and its REALLY annoying. I basically want it to be more ordered. I want them all to appear from 1 through 36 IN ORDER and right now its just a HUGE mess. They seem to sort in some bizarre way no matter how I play with the titles.

Most of the sets also have between 3 and 5 CD's. So I want it to not only be in order of numbers (Dicks Picks 1 through 36) as well as being in order WITHIN the volume itself.

So it should look like this, for example:

Dick's Picks Volume I (Disc 1)
Dick's Picks Volume I (Disc 2)
Dick's Picks Volume I (Disc 3)

Dick's Picks Volume 2 (Disc 1)
Dick's Picks Volume 2 (Disc 2)

Dick's Picks Volume 3 (Disc 1)
Dick's Picks Volume 3 (Disc 2)
Dick's Picks Volume 3 (Disc 3)
Dick's Picks Volume 3 (Disc 4)
etc etc etc
Dick's Picks Volume 36 (Disc 1)
Dick's Picks Volume 36 (Disc 2)
Dick's Picks Volume 36 (Disc 3)

And right now its just a huge mess! Any way I can fix this?

Thanks again!

Author:   Pyroguy
Date:   Dec 19, 05 at 6:49pm (PST)
Subject:   re: iPod sorting/alphabetizing problem. Need help.
I'm at school so forgive me if I don't get the exact wording down seeing as I can't look at iTunes as I'm explaining this. Right click on the first volume in the first album and click on Get Info. From there, change the volume (Or maybe it says CD Number? Either way, it'll be on the far right side.) to 1 and then it says 'of' and then there's another box, now in that box put the total number of volumes there are in that album. Then for the next volume put 2 and for the number of volumes put what you did for the first. If that doesn't completely solve it (after you change it for EVERY album and volume) then double check that every volume in an album has the same name.

I know that sounded really confusing probably but if you didn't understand it I'll retype it once I get home and am able to look at what I'm talking about. Let me know either way.

Date:   Dec 21, 05 at 3:50am (PST)
Pyro, I totally don't get what you are saying. Not only that, but nothing happens when I right click on anything in there.

Author:   Pyroguy
Date:   Dec 21, 05 at 4:34am (PST)

There we go, that one picture says just about everything I need to haha. Just make sure that you edit each set and each volume within the set accordingly. If you have any other questions, I'd be more than willing to help. Sorry if it's still confusing though .

Date:   Dec 21, 05 at 5:37am (PST)
Okay I think I get ya. But unless I am misunderstanding you, that doesn't help me. I have no problem getting the discs within a particular volume to appear in order...well most of the time anyway. However, I want it to appear NUMERICALLY volume by volume.

Dick's Picks 1 is a DIFFERENT Album (volume) and concert than Dick's Picks 2, and 3 and so forth. I want the TOP of the menu to be Dick's Pick's Volume 1, then Dick's Pick's 2, then 3, then 4, all the way up to Dick's Picks 35.

As it is now, I have (Exactly as it reads from the top of my menu):

Dick's Picks 23
Dick's Picks 28
Dick's Picks 1
Dick's Picks 10 (Disc 1)
Dick's Picks 10 (Disc 2)
Dick's Picks 10 (Disc 3)
Dick's Picks 11 (Disc 1)
Dick's Picks 11 (Disc 2)
Dick's Picks 11 (Disc 3)
Dick's Picks 12 (Disc 1)
Dick's Picks 12 (Disc 2)
Dick's Picks 12 (Disc 3)
Dick's Picks 13 (Disc 1)
Dick's Picks 13 (Disc 2)
Dick's Picks 11 (Disc 3)

etc etc etc

I want it to go from 1 all the way DOWN (in order) to 35.

See what I am saying now?

Date:   Dec 23, 05 at 9:42pm (PST)
Bumpety bump!

Anyone?

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.