Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Help with figuring out iTunes - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t604729-help-with-figuring-out-itunes/

Author:   lil_giant
Date:   Nov 02, 05 at 5:46am (PST)
Subject:   Help with figuring out iTunes
-------------------------------------------
Hello, I'm having a problem when transferring songs, my music collection is stored on cdrs, So I insert a CDR, the music gets added to the library, not copied just added, so I select songs to put on the IPod, everything is fine, remove the CD, insert another CD, again songs are added to the library, again I select songs from the CD thats now in the drive and move them to the IPod, done without a hitch, but now the songs I put on there from the previous CD, have exclamation points near them followed by gray dots, and now the songs are no longer on the iPod, and a message pops up saying cannot find file, why is it saying cannot find file? the songs were already copied to the iPod, why would it search for those files? No matter how many time I try transferring songs directly from the more then 1 CDR, this happens, Is there something in the options I could change, or am I stuck moving the songs onto the hard drive then transferring them to the IPod, thanks.

Author:   gypsygirl5
Date:   Nov 02, 05 at 10:55pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Help with figuring out iTunes
I think if they are no longer in the library when you update your iPod, they will be removed. My husband put songs I don't like into the library. After they ended up on my iPod, I went into the library and removed the check mark. The next time I updated, the songs I didn't want were removed from the iPod.

Author:   HBK619
Date:   Nov 03, 05 at 8:38am (PST)
quote gypsygirl5
I think if they are no longer in the library when you update your iPod, they will be removed. My husband put songs I don't like into the library. After they ended up on my iPod, I went into the library and removed the check mark. The next time I updated, the songs I didn't want were removed from the iPod.
That's merely a configuration misunderstanding. The default setting on your iPod is so that each time you connect it to your computer, it will edit your playlist so it matches what is currently in your iTunes library, which for many people is not what they want especially if you're sharing the computer with someone else, but this setting can be changed to a manual configuration, so you can change songs manually by creating playlists and such, and removing songs as you please. It's all it the options tab. Just plug in your iPod to your computer, then click the button at the bottom of iTunes which looks like an iPod to open up the options tab.

Author:   gypsygirl5
Date:   Nov 03, 05 at 7:09pm (PST)
Yes, I realize all that (that's how I got the songs I didn't want off the iPod)...but doesn't it have to be in your library in the first place? That's what the first poster in this thread was asking.

Date:   Nov 08, 05 at 6:56am (PST)
I forgot to mention I have an Ipod shuffle, and here is the flaw: Either due to poor programming on Apple's part or due to an attempt to thwart music piracy, the iPod shuffle as it comes "off the shelf" can only load MP3 files from one computer. If you try to load MP3 files from another computer all previously loaded MP3 files are deleted. (NOTE: The older, larger iPods do not have this problem.)

So when I transfer from more than 1 cdr this is the problem I encounter.

Author:   HBK619
Date:   Nov 08, 05 at 7:10am (PST)
-_-

With the easy to lose USB cap, lack of a screen, missing features and rip-off price, why did you get a Shuffle? You should have just gotten a mini or something. I personally think the Shuffles are the worst thing that Apple has ever done, a rip off flash drive that's selling point of shuffling songs is all ready a default feature of it's larger brothers, I really want to ask Apple which genious thought this up. I'm sorry, but you may have to have songs in the library, try reading through the User Guide because it will be different for Shuffles.

Date:   Nov 08, 05 at 7:13pm (PST)
I Received it absolutely free from MBNA, I have another one coming for free from Netbank, as far as no screen I have no complaints, I have the 512 which holds 7 hours of music, I don't need 1000 songs with me, to each his or her own.

Date:   Nov 08, 05 at 9:00pm (PST)
This solves everything

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.