Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: How do I get iPod to display MORE information? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t604248-how-get-ipod-to-display-more-information/

Author:   NateSutton
Date:   Nov 01, 05 at 6:03am (PST)
Subject:   How do I get iPod to display MORE information?
-------------------------------------------
To Whom It May Concern:
I use my iPod daily as a teaching tool; I'm an associate professor at Indiana University in the jazz department. It is such a joy to carry around hundreds of CDs and be able to access them in an instant. It has completely changed the way I use my music collection, and how I teach my students. I like iTunes well enough, and research all my music very carefully to input the correct year, original album release title, and I use the comment field to list recording date, location, and personnel. This last feature has really revolutionized how I access my music: say I want to give a presentation in class about the stellar contributions of drummer Elvin Jones. If I only look in the Artist field, I'll find very few recordings. But if I'VE entered his name into the comment field of every track he plays on, I can use the search function to use iTunes as a powerful database. Here's my only drawback. The iPod won't display composer, year, or comment. Sure, I can search by composer on the iPod, but if I don't know who wrote a certain song, scrolling through a list of several hundred composers isn't much help. Several times I've played a tune in class, and a student asks, "Who's playing piano on that track?" As it is my music collection, I can usually make an educated guess if I don't know, but I'm often stumped, and have to wait until I get home to check iTunes. Recently, I noticed a remarkable thing: I'd downloaded several excellent podcasts, and was listening on my iPod. I pressed the center button so that I could cycle through the options (volume, track position, rating), and LO AND BEHOLD, there was a NEW option - a SCREEN full of TEXT called a DESCRIPTION, full of INFORMATION about the podcast to which I was listening. I think you can guess where this is going... Does my iPod have the capability to display this kind of screen for my existing music tracks? If so, how do I do it? If not, does anyone know if it be available soon? I know it's technologically feasible, because it's already been done! If I could get a screen to pop up for every track containing track info that I enter, it would make my iPod an INFINITELY powerful music/teaching/archival tool. I already recommend it to every colleague and student - if I possessed this ability, rest assured I would be the greatest single proponent for this fantastic little device that this college has ever seen. Drop me a line if you're in the know and can help me out. Thanks so much!

Nate Sutton
Indiana University
Jazz Dept.

Author:   HBK619
Date:   Nov 01, 05 at 7:40am (PST)
Subject:   re: How do I get iPod to display MORE information?
I only use my iPod for music so I'm not to sure about Podcasts and such, but I do know that the new iPod Nano has a colour display and allows you to view Podcasts, so maybe that is what you ae looking for. If you are worried about the price, you should be able to get a fair tradeback or re-sale on your current iPod, then a teacher discount on the nano, but I'm not sure. Either way, check out the link I provided and see if it has the stuff you need.

Author:   Paul Schleuse
Date:   Nov 09, 05 at 6:11pm (PST)
The first responder to this posting does not seem to have understood the question, which is not really about podcasts, but about whether the iPod can be configureas, programmed, or hacked to display the full track info for the song playing, rather than just the title, artist, and album. I'd also love to know how to this: I have a lot of classical music on my iPod and would like to be able to display more information than the default.

Any ideas?

Paul Schleuse

Author:   Nate Sutton
Date:   Nov 09, 05 at 6:21pm (PST)
EXACTLY! I'm glad someone else understands the question. I've sent a few emails to apple but have not received an answer. Classical music is the most frustrating music to display on the iPod, as you want to know the performer, composer, opus, movement name, etc. If anyone knows, there are at least 2 of us who are eager to learn!

Nate

Author:   Weapon
Date:   Nov 11, 05 at 3:31am (PST)
Sorry guys, you are both out of luck. The reason that there is a description on the podcasts because the description is embedded through the RSS feed which involves a lot of coding and makes the file bigger then it would normally.

The only thing I suggest is making your own podcast with the collection of music you want to display and encode the what you want and say have "Artist X- Song X" in the description through the RSS. Of coarse I believe you can't get this description for each song individually. Although I will try to get another solution for you both.

Author:   Nate Sutton
Date:   Nov 11, 05 at 4:13am (PST)
Well, there I have it, I suppose. Still, it seems there should be a simpler solution. Thanks for the explanation, though. I'll keep hoping.

Nate

Author:   Paul Schleuse
Date:   Nov 11, 05 at 10:13pm (PST)
We can only hope that either Apple will take the seemingly simple step of making the iPod display more customizable, or a benevolent hacker will create some sort of workaround. The usual advice you hear—to add the composer's name to the Artist field, album name, or some other jerry-rigged solution—is simply not acceptable to anyone with a really large collection organized in a way that takes advantage of the tagging available in iTunes.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.