Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: iTUNES *ucked up my HardDrive Organization!!! HELP!!! - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t601942-itunes-ucked-up-my-harddrive-organization-help/

Author:   gloryandconsequence
Date:   Oct 26, 05 at 8:38am (PST)
Subject:   iTUNES *ucked up my HardDrive Organization!!! HELP!!!
-------------------------------------------
So I finally buy an iPod after I have ripped my entire CD collection (about 250 cds) and I install the software. I show iTunes where my music is (g:music - external hardrive) and then it says "updating" or something like it. I opened the harddrive to find that all of the nice organization I have worked for is trashed! Yeah - TRASHED. I had it all by Artist (full name), Album (name and year) and now, it has basicly created its own folders for every song according to what it thinks and in some cases has doubled every single album. It took all of the songs from my "misc" folder and made them each have their own folder etc. etc. (taking up almost 150 GB). I'm so pissed at this Apple piece of shit I could through it out the window.

Is there any possible way to reverse what has been done, or do I have to go through one-by-one and delete what doesn't belong and put things back where they belong, rename them etc. etc.

If anyone can PLEASE help me, I will be forever grateful. THanks a million. POST HERE OR EMAIL LRL3212@aol.com thanks!

Author:   tyzer3
Date:   Oct 26, 05 at 8:52am (PST)
Subject:   re: iTUNES *ucked up my HardDrive Organization!!! HELP!!!
Most probably One-by-One.

Date:   Oct 26, 05 at 9:02am (PST)
will system restore undo it, delete the files that weren't there and restore the folders to how they were? or do the files all remain when you restore?

Author:   KingThomasOfThePS2
Date:   Oct 26, 05 at 11:29am (PST)
Under 'Prefrences' it asks you whether you want music imported and sorted into folders.

Date:   Oct 26, 05 at 3:59pm (PST)
OK, I see what I have done. I have selected my iTunes Music Folder location to be where all of my original music was thinking that it was asking me to specify where to look for some music (i.ei. G:music). So, it gives me the option to "change" or "reset". Each gives me the impression that it will simply restore the original "music" folder to its proper state and let me select a seperate place for my iTunes music. Is this the case? I have room enough to back up all of the music if needs be, but that is several hundred GB and a long time waiting if it is not necessary. I will wait for suggestions before proceeding. Thanks!

Date:   Oct 26, 05 at 4:05pm (PST)
Yeah, my original, folders are all intact, but iTunes added a copy for themselves and extracted all of the subfolders and created folders for every "loose" file (pictures, notes, individual songs etc.) that is a relief. It seems I could just select, "view by date modified, and delete all of the new ones, but since they are mostly music files, windows only allows be to view by "track" "album" "artist" etc.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.