Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: iTunes problem ?! - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t586335-itunes-problem/

Author:   Casshern
Date:   Sep 12, 05 at 4:20pm (PST)
Subject:   iTunes problem ?!
-------------------------------------------
ITunes worked fine on my new windows installation. I recently bought an iPod mini and things aren't so fine anymore ...

Whether the iPod is plugged or not, every song I play in iTunes make my computer freeze. It plays fine for 8-12 seconds, then iTunes and my whole computer freeze for a few seconds.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall iTunes and the iPod software, but it didn't help. I also tried to create a new music database in case it was currupted, but even with the new one it does the same thing ...

For the first few weeks I used iTunes on my new windows intallation it worked fine!! So I guess it's not a memory problem ?!

Any clue ?
Thanks

Author:   Kuduros
Date:   Sep 12, 05 at 5:06pm (PST)
Subject:   re: iTunes problem ?!
I actually had that issue when I was trying to update my iPod using iTunes 4.7. I upgraded to 5.0 and it seemed to go away. My freezes were worse though, to the point where the PC was unusable and had to be restarted. Have you got iTunes 5.0? If not, try upgrading to it and seeing if the freezing stops, it did for me.

Author:   Casshern
Date:   Sep 12, 05 at 6:31pm (PST)
Thanks for the reply.

The problem started to occur a few days before the release of iTunes 5. So, as soon as it was released, I installed it hoping it would solve the problem. Unfortunately, it didn't.

Do you have any other suggestions ?
Thanks

Author:   Kuduros
Date:   Sep 12, 05 at 7:26pm (PST)
What way do you upload your songs? Firewire/USB? I use Firewire through my Soundblaster 4 control unit, and I was getting freezes that way. I'm just curious to see if you use Firewire as well, to see if that's a common factor. I'm just putting you over the facts to see if there's something we can identify as a cause. I take it this is only happening when you put your iPod in for updating or when you turn on iTunes with your iPod connected?

Hang in there nevertheless, we do have quite a lot of iPod owners on the site and they don't check this forum that often, but one of them could stop by in the next day or two with some actual beneficial help, I'm just sorry I can't be of any.

Author:   acmay1
Date:   Sep 21, 05 at 10:13pm (PST)
My problems started after downloading the iTunes 5. I couldn't find the previous version. My computer defaults to the blue screen often. I am using Windows XP. I can only system restore to the previous day. Since this has been going on for several days now, that's not an option anymore. Let me know what you find out.
Thanks.

Author:   KingThomasOfThePS2
Date:   Sep 21, 05 at 10:16pm (PST)
iTunes is now version 5.0.1 click on 'help' then 'check for updates' it fixes several crashing problems.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.