Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Apple revealing mini iPad next week, rumors confirmed - page 2

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1776887-apple-revealing-mini-ipad-next-week-rumors-confirmed/2.htm

Author:   VeGiTAX2
Date:   Oct 17, 12 at 8:52pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Apple revealing mini iPad next week, rumors confirmed
-------------------------------------------
quote Nagare
VeGiTAX2, I don't think their "recent" patent lawsuits and the ebook pricing schemes are what helped them to gain such a following. They definitely didn't influence my decision to buy an iPad when I did. I don't really see how the patents always have to figure into a discussion about Apple introducing a new product. Everyone has patents at this point and they are all suing one another, it isn't a trait unique to Apple.

I also don't think Apple really cares about anything that Sony may have to offer with their ridiculously limited Playstation Mobile Suite which is offered on pretty much just the Xperia Play and maybe a HTC phone or two. The App Store has SO much more to offer, even if you just look at games, than what Sony has with some of the Vita boundaries. Especially if you're talking about being able to play with/compete against friends.
You'd be surprised, there are quite a few people miffed at Apple for patent law issues and ignoring prior art and so on. When you have a company dead set on trying to position themselves as the only game in town through poor labor, legal and etc it's not that appealing.

If people want to generalize all of that and just sum it up as "haters" well, that's just absolutely sad.

I take it you haven't kept up with the mobile gaming market much? Sony's latest expansion / departure is around Vita binaries going universal with PSN and full functionality, they've been discussing this for well over a year now and are finally rolling it out after developers have had time to adapt. Although given Apple licensing policies that might be an easy explanation of why they didn't pursue it, just as they're hanging out trying to leverage contracts to their extended benefit on everything else lol.

It's probably still one of the biggest developments for mobile devs this year, conferences have developers talking about expanded spaces and etc. Dismiss away but most ecosystems for networking on mobile rely on less than a handful of social operators right now. It is a big thing.

The topic could go on but my primary focus here was just at seeing tired / dead statements flying around to pretend a point was made at anything regarding the company.

Author:   Nagare
Date:   Oct 17, 12 at 9:00pm (PST)
VeGiTAX2, I know people are miffed at Apple for everything related to patents, but hopefully it brings about some sort of reform. You'd also have to be ignoring lots of other companies if you think Apple are the only ones ignoring prior art, that is something that is done with patents. You attempt to bring your "unique" spin on it to the USPTO office and get something approved so that you might be able to use that something for benefit in the future.

As for the Vita binaries, although I haven't paid much attention to it at all, I don't really think that means too much because from what I've seen, PSN != what is available on the rest of Sony's lineup. I do like what Sony is trying to push with the connectivity between their systems, but it only really seems to apply to the PS3 and PSV (which I guess is still more than what you can really achieve between the iPad and iPhone even though they share much more in common).

Not sure what your last bit is trying to say either about pretending a point was made.

Author:   VeGiTAX2
Date:   Oct 17, 12 at 9:33pm (PST)
quote Nagare
VeGiTAX2, I know people are miffed at Apple for everything related to patents, but hopefully it brings about some sort of reform. You'd also have to be ignoring lots of other companies if you think Apple are the only ones ignoring prior art, that is something that is done with patents. You attempt to bring your "unique" spin on it to the USPTO office and get something approved so that you might be able to use that something for benefit in the future.

As for the Vita binaries, although I haven't paid much attention to it at all, I don't really think that means too much because from what I've seen, PSN != what is available on the rest of Sony's lineup. I do like what Sony is trying to push with the connectivity between their systems, but it only really seems to apply to the PS3 and PSV (which I guess is still more than what you can really achieve between the iPad and iPhone even though they share much more in common).

Not sure what your last bit is trying to say either about pretending a point was made.
Never said I was only singling them out at all did I? I was relating this to my topic post on Apple though. The entire patent process needs a hard revision as the US is finding out with so many challenge cases. The problem is the USPTO can't deny they've had their own heart out for Apple though when they create a dedicated exhibition to the company lol. They need reform eventually because this is just becoming a stupid arms race in general but that again takes away from my actual discussion topic.

Love how "haters gonna hate" is the new pop culture excuse for anything.
The expansion of the binary program is to take the direct experience everywhere, it's not a reworked file with different online methods or etc. The point is if Namco makes Ridge Racer 200 for Vita they can put that same binary for compatible phones and tablets and let the platforms interact without skipping a beat. Like I said though, that could be a mountain of reasons with money and power at the core of them. Apple enjoys their control on the EcoSystem and also royalties that lean their way, Sony needs cash and also has control issues of their own.

My last bit goes back to my original point that I quoted above, like I said I was never digging into some trench about patent war, just about dismissive Apple fans using the term "haters" for anything they don't like as if that's validation or even a proper response.

Pretty sure I can't beat that horse any further though so I'm off lol

Author:   Wynnona
Date:   Oct 18, 12 at 7:49pm (PST)
Yes,I also heard the news,it said the ipad mini will use 7.8 inches screen and there is also rumors said the battery life will be twice larger than iPhone.........

Author:   Redemption
Date:   Oct 19, 12 at 12:36am (PST)
quote Nagare
Redemption, I don't think that Best Buy ever had or has plans to stock the Nexus 7. Is it not possible to order it from Google Play (or some other online retailer) to get delivered in Canada?
Best Buy in Canada is supposed to stock and sell the Nexus 7. They have them on display, they just never have any in stock to buy.

quote MiniA
It makes me sick to think about, but everybody knows that the mobs with iphone 5s and Ipads will come out in droves to buy this thing. And what exactly is it? A larger iphone? A smaller Ipad?
In my day to day surfing my tablet and phone have taken over most of my research/reading, but I agree that I prefer a laptop for any real work.

I think a 7" tablet sounds like a really good size. Everyone has their own preference. Seems that when Apple gives less choice they are given a tough time, and when they expand choice people say they are not being innovative . I don't ever see myself using an iPhone and I find Macs really frustrating to use, but I can see value in the iPad mini and my gut feeling is it will sell like hotcakes.

quote Wynnona
Yes,I also heard the news,it said the ipad mini will use 7.8 inches screen and there is also rumors said the battery life will be twice larger than iPhone.........
Actually a 7,8" screen IMO is even more ideal than 7" . I've always thought 10" was too big, 7" slightly too small. Whether it is 7" or 7,8" I think this is a good formfactor and really portable. I'm also very eager to see how accessories manufacturers help make the iPad mini ecosystem all the more user friendly.

Author:   Roy
Date:   Oct 20, 12 at 8:51am (PST)
I am still a little skeptical since, if they kept making it any smaller they may as well stick with the iPod Touch and iPhone. They serve about the same purpose, minus having an attachable keyboard, but I have gotten used to touch screen much better over the years.

Author:   Nagare
Date:   Oct 20, 12 at 9:25am (PST)
Roy, a 7 or 7.8" is much more usable for certain things than a 3.5 or 4" screen and more portable/lighter than a 9.7" one.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.