Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Any free apps similar to Spotify? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1750867-any-free-apps-similar-to-spotify/

Author:   Wilhelm Ryan
Date:   Aug 06, 12 at 5:36am (PST)
Subject:   Any free apps similar to Spotify?
-------------------------------------------
Spotify is perfect. Gives me an iPhone app that streams any music, from any artist, right to my phone. No ads. No wait time. No stupid internet radio that gives me everything but the artist I actually want to listen to. Plus it sends what I listen to my facebook/music page, and to my last.fm account. Perfect.

I just can't bring myself to pay for it. I had the trial, which was great. I want to get it, but money's already pretty effing tight. And I'm already paying for Netflix, last.fm, and GameFly.

If there's nothing like it, I might go ahead and pay for it anyway, and get rid of GameFly. I haven't been playing a whole lot of games anyway. >_> Just figured I'd see what's out there first. I figured there might be a Spotify clone by now, given it's success.

Author:   Nagare
Date:   Aug 06, 12 at 10:09am (PST)
Subject:   re: Any free apps similar to Spotify?
No, everything that streams music should either be paid or have ads. Spotify has both options with their radio service offering ads while you listen. You can try things like Songza and Rdio but they aren't as high quality and still may sneak in ads some way.

Author:   Wilhelm Ryan
Date:   Aug 07, 12 at 1:09pm (PST)
Any paid apps that are similar to Spotify would be great as well, I should have mentioned that beforehand. I don't mind paying for the app. I'd just rather steer clear of the apps that charge you monthly to use the service.

I tried Spotify's radio. No different than Pandora or last.fm, really. Practically the same thing. Enter any artist, song, or genre and you'll get music that fits the bill. Only allowed a certain amount of skips. Blah blah blah.

Author:   Nagare
Date:   Aug 07, 12 at 1:15pm (PST)
Yeah, that's not really going to work The music industry runs on either pay for each song, CD, or month that you listen to. There isn't any streaming service with a one time fee out there. That's also how the similarities in limitations can be explained (like the skipping 5 times per hour). Spotify also (iirc) runs off a very similar brain as Pandora too, just a bit smarter though.

Author:   Arietta
Date:   Aug 07, 12 at 7:44pm (PST)
Jango.

The app is aesthetically ugly, and before the last update it used to crash all the time for me. Regardless, Jango is a great audio service. I don't use it that much honestly (once in a blue moon, more than anything), but when I do, I really enjoy it. The service is completely free (ad supported), but I have never heard an audio ad before. Quality is average, but it's great for casual listening.

They have their website too, of course, in case you want to give them a try there before downloading the app (although the app itself is free as well).

Author:   Kaiba
Date:   Aug 08, 12 at 1:05pm (PST)
quote Saga
but it's great for casual listening.
I was not aware there was a way to listen to music in a non-casual manner.

Author:   Arietta
Date:   Aug 08, 12 at 3:45pm (PST)
quote Kaiba
quote Saga
but it's great for casual listening.
I was not aware there was a way to listen to music in a non-casual manner.
I really meant in terms of song quality. If you are an audiophile you don't want to make Jango your main radio service. But if you don't mind or are in general a "more" casual listener, then Jango is a great alternative. You can also discover some new music with it.

Author:   JoeyRicard
Date:   Apr 08, 13 at 12:55pm (PST)
There is a free iPhone app called TuneBash that lets you search & stream any song, 100% free. I've had good success using the app in India & Germany. It's basically Spotify Premium, but free.

Author:   blackthorn
Date:   Apr 11, 13 at 5:01am (PST)
Rdio, Pandora and Grooveshark are the best. You can also listen to Last.fm - however you need an inexpensive subscription for that.

Author:   tohapply
Date:   Apr 13, 13 at 12:11am (PST)
Grooveshark?

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.