Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Using iPad Charger to charge iPhone 4 - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1744237-using-ipad-charger-to-charge-iphone-4/

Author:   crzayone
Date:   Jul 06, 12 at 10:40pm (PST)
Subject:   Using iPad Charger to charge iPhone 4
-------------------------------------------
Hi All,

Is it ok to use my iPad charger to charge iPhone 4? I don't see an issue because the iPhone requires less watts than the iPad charger offers.

Let me know please,

Author:   Nagare
Date:   Jul 07, 12 at 7:21am (PST)
Subject:   re: Using iPad Charger to charge iPhone 4
Yes that is okay but it will not work in reverse. The cord won't overcharge or do anything funny to.your iPhone.

Author:   Dragskin
Date:   Jul 14, 12 at 9:51am (PST)
they're both Apple made and usb sockets are compatible so why worry? i mean... i have two Samsung Phones Galaxy S II and Galaxy mini... and im using 1 charger for both...

Date:   Jul 14, 12 at 9:53am (PST)
Because the iPad charger carries a higher voltage. The iPhone charger will not charge an iPad but the reverse will work.

Author:   ryuxnina134
Date:   Jul 15, 12 at 10:03am (PST)
quote Nagare
Because the iPad charger carries a higher voltage. The iPhone charger will not charge an iPad but the reverse will work.
Wrong. They are both 5 volts. Its the amperage that differs. The iPhone is charged at 1A while the iPad requires 2A.

Date:   Jul 15, 12 at 10:40am (PST)
It would have been better if you just quoted the part that was technically incorrect instead of the whole thing because the fact still remains that the iPhone charger will not charge an iPad charger.

Thanks for the correction though

Date:   Jul 16, 12 at 9:34am (PST)
well... if that would be the case... having both could be a little inconvenient....

Author:   crzayone
Date:   Jul 26, 12 at 8:10pm (PST)
quote Dragskin
well... if that would be the case... having both could be a little inconvenient....
ohh,inconvienient?ok, isee,

Date:   Jul 28, 12 at 10:20pm (PST)
quote crzayone
quote Dragskin
Yes, "a little" inconvenient... coz I am a frequent traveler and again, I have two Samsung phones aside from my iphone... but i only bring 1 charger for my Samsung phones. As much as possible, i try not to add stuff on my luggage...

Author:   challenge10
Date:   Aug 25, 12 at 1:15pm (PST)
my aunt stayed with me for a weekend and she accicentally took my iphone4 charger and left me with her ipad (gen.1) charger which I have been forced to use about 8 times now. Last night I tried to charge my iphone with it and my screen read "this device is not supported" or something along those lines, so I don't think that is a good thing! I use my iphone alot, so I need to charge it everyday however my other half only charges his every two days so the charger is still working for him, but he figures it will the phone will recongnize the issue soon...

Author:   ryuxnina134
Date:   Aug 26, 12 at 6:27am (PST)
quote Dragskin
quote crzayone
quote Dragskin
Yes, "a little" inconvenient... coz I am a frequent traveler and again, I have two Samsung phones aside from my iphone... but i only bring 1 charger for my Samsung phones. As much as possible, i try not to add stuff on my luggage...
A neat little trivia. check the Voltage and amperage of your Samsung chargers. you would see that there is a label that says:

Output: 5V====== 1A

if the output is the same for your charger (which goes for every Samsung phone I've seen so far), then you can actually use the same charger square that came with the iPhone (you know, that small plug where you connect the usb cable to charge your iphone)
All you need to do is to bring along your Android phone's data cable, and use that on the plug your iphone uses to charge.
this saves space especially if you don't foresee that you will be charging both devices at the same time.
(note, also works for car chargers and other chargers that apple has as long as the output is the same value)

@ Nagare (cool name btw) I'm sorry about quoting the whole thing.

Author:   madewale
Date:   Sep 02, 12 at 6:16am (PST)
Not a good news! Apple must have a universal charger for all there product.

Author:   Roy
Date:   Sep 05, 12 at 6:24pm (PST)
If not, the Duracell. I have seen them in the store with chargers for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, etc. Ever try one of those? They could work just as well. For me it's trial and error some of time.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.