Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Life without your iDevice? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1739604-life-without-your-idevice/

Author:   Aura
Date:   Jun 13, 12 at 8:35pm (PST)
Subject:   Life without your iDevice?
-------------------------------------------
The convenience brought to us by these devices can range anywhere from very little use, to highly dependant in terms of usage value. Although the use of such a device ranges so drastically, there can be little doubt, that users have formed a measure of dependance on them.

No longer do we have to sit down in front of a computer or laptop to check our bank balance, read our emails, or browse locations for our next holiday of choice - it's all there in the palm of our hands. For better or worse, these nifty little pieces of technology have made life easier, more convenient, and perhaps a little detached.

My question to everyone is: just how big of an impact have these devices made on you, how convenient and easy has it made some things for you, and if devices of this nature were to suddenly disappear without a trace tomorrow, how would it affect you, and what would you do?

Answers such as "get an Android" aren't valid - they get wiped out tomorrow too. =P

Author:   Golden Miru warrior
Date:   Jun 13, 12 at 9:25pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Life without your iDevice?
After a wavy day at the ocean (the less said about it the better) I'm carrying my occasionally functional phone around only half the time. Its ability to essentially function as a computer and mp3 player changed the way I did things and interacted with people for the last year or two. Not having one at every moment, I've already missed catching a couple of people because of receiving messages at less than instant speeds.

It's all texting though. Phone calls are less frequent and voicemails are nonexistent. It's nice to be able to read and respond to emails right away, but no one writes an email with that expectation in mind any more. As for the web browsing: it's frivolous, and mp3 listening is just a way to pass the time. I'm realizing if I had some sort of texting only device resembling a pager it would probably be plenty. The instantaneous is expected (and I've come to rely on it for socializing), but only for that form of communication at this time.

Author:   Wilhelm Ryan
Date:   Jun 14, 12 at 7:54am (PST)
Bwahaha, I couldn't live without my iPhone, sadly. Well, I could, but it would suck. Everything is a million times easier, for the most part, with my phone. Plus I have three Verizon stores in town, all of which in walking distance from my house, so I never have to worry about poor data reception or anything.

But yeah... my bank has an app. So, especially on payday, it's nice to be able to check my account from anywhere and see if my direct deposit went through. All my bills get paid within the matter of minutes from my phone. I'm on the crapper quite a bit, and I used to always have an issue of Nintendo Power or Game Informer on hand. Not anymore, as I'm usually playing Turds With Friends, Scramble With Friends, Draw Something, or whatever.

Texting and gaming for me are also a huge part, especially texting. It's how most people communicate now-a-days. When a girl gives me her number, the first reaction I have is to text her, not call her. And gaming on mobile phones have evolved a shit ton. Graphics are very impressive, and the games are getting deeper in content - no more mini games. Companies porting over their big hit names like GTA III, Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Dead Space, etc. are amazing on iOS. Graphics are typically great, and controls are fairly easy to pick up and play; it's amazing how a game is developed to be used with a controller that has damn near 10+ buttons on it can be ported to a phone with no buttons on it.

Author:   Forhad
Date:   Jun 14, 12 at 12:05pm (PST)
Really I can not not think a single moment without my idevices. If my idevices suddenly disappear i will also disappear too.

Date:   Jun 14, 12 at 11:37pm (PST)
Good point on the texting, I left that out because I've never really seen it as being the "way to communicate" these days. Facebook, for the most part, seems to be the more popular medium for communicating via text entry. I don't use my phone to keep in constant contact with family or friends, and the friends from England that I did re-establish contact with because of Facebook, are ones that I sit down in front of computer to contact.

I remember my first phone being a hefty brick of what was cutting edge Panasonic technology (at the time of course), and rarely used it for anything other than emergencies, or to send text messages to friends when trying to find them at a particular meeting place (happened a lot when going to the public swimming pool, someone was nearly always in a different place than what was organised).

Banking would be a much bigger one for me, if not for me being paid at nights instead of during the day. So when I'm at work, or busy doing other things, I usually already know what my balance is.

Games are more of a time waster when I have nothing else to do, or if I'm travelling. Otherwise, console gaming is where I'm at, with that said. I probably do play more games on my iPhone than on my DS, and the ease of accessibility to games is probably why. That, and I always seem to have a lot of trouble finding a DS game that I would actually like.

When it comes to the internet, I do tend to use my phone more than my laptop, but I put that down to the fact that I only use wired connections, and usually my PS3 and girlfriend's laptop are plugged in, and I haven't yet bothered picking up another ethernet cable.

I suppose that puts me at about medium-low to medium usage. I could do without, but it makes some things more accessible without the hassle.

Author:   Sonia ferdous
Date:   Jun 15, 12 at 2:54am (PST)
Oh I can’t imagine my life without my devices and I don’t want to.. It would be a life in death situation. These are like the parts of my existence.

Date:   Jun 16, 12 at 8:51am (PST)
quote Forhad
Really I can not not think a single moment without my idevices. If my idevices suddenly disappear i will also disappear too.
quote Sonia ferdous
Oh I can’t imagine my life without my devices and I don’t want to.. It would be a life in death situation. These are like the parts of my existence.

If you don't mind me asking, what is it about these devices that make them such a necessity in your lives?

Author:   Sonia ferdous
Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 10:53am (PST)
quote Aura
quote Forhad
quote Sonia ferdous

If you don't mind me asking, what is it about these devices that make them such a necessity in your lives?
Hmm..yeah you may know the reason behind it. In my case my devices like cell phone and PC are the part of my life. Because only through the device cell phone communication i can stay connected with my bf as there are so many restrictions in my family. And it is needless to say that my love is my life= cell phone which help me to stay connected. So in that way it is necessary for me. and the other issue is also for entertainment.

Author:   Forhad
Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 11:03am (PST)
quote Aura
quote Forhad
quote Sonia ferdous

My case is also the same. But the other reasons for me the enjoyment of life, friends and social networking. They have much impact in my life and in some cases I am so dependent on them. And the only way to make a networking is with the help of the devices. So of course it has made our life easier, more convenient but don’t think that it has detached us.

Author:   Castlewars
Date:   Jun 18, 12 at 2:33pm (PST)
Awful. It's one of my must-haves. Without it I'd get bored quickly.

Date:   Jun 19, 12 at 12:54am (PST)
Surely being bored doesn't make your iDevice a necessity, there must be something you do with it that makes certain things such a convenience that it's a must have item?

Author:   Arietta
Date:   Jun 28, 12 at 11:38pm (PST)
I could live without my iPhone, but the question is what I would in the times when I could be using it.

Using smartphones (I have been using them since 2004 - It all started with a Nokia 6600) has increased my productivity by a lot. When I first got a Nokia 6600 I was in middle school (3 years of savings to buy that thing... Seriously!). It came with a simple office app and I used it to do all my homework in my spare time, particularly in recess. I finished homework really quickly thanks to it, and I had long afternoons to use just for myself. That phone ran Symbian, which to the day, I consider to be a great mobile OS even though it's really dead now. The smartphone was stable and never crashed - I could take photos and videos, even though the default video app only allowed me to record 10 seconds for very special moments. It had an aficionado developer community that created all sorts of apps (since it didn't have an "app store" of its own). It also had a couple of games which were really simple (still more complex than Snake II though ) and it kept me entertained in extreme times of boredom (like in blackouts and such).

Shortly afterwards I got a huge phone called an iPAQ from HP, running Windows mobile. I also used that Smartphone a lot for productivity. I wrote essays on that thing (since I had it when I was just starting high school), and always turned in homework in time because of it's perfect Word editor. I really didn't use this phone much. It was with me all the time but the app quality was poor, so I actually stopped using it and started using my 6600 again haha.

Now with my iPhone, I can do much much more. My iPhone 4S is a lot better than the first Laptop I ever owned and it can accomplish everything, and that's why I write apps for it now because there's nothing stopping me from doing whatever with an iPhone. My productivity has increased and gone beyond Office editing since my Nokia 6600 times: It has got a powerful calendar, contacts, and more that get synced with my Mac, my iPad, and even my iPod touch so all my devices have the same data, the educational apps are great to learn new things (I'm surprised of how well language learning apps work!), in my spare time when I have no work to do, I can learn new things. I can use Soundhound when a nice song is playing and I don't know it's called so I can identify it. I can use iMessage to text all my friends all over the world for free basically, and I can even plan and mock up apps in my iPad, and even more, I actually composed three full songs using an app called MusicStudio (because I am a music lover!). I forgot to mention, I can also receive and do payments with it thanks to the Paypal app, not to mention I can do business online like buying games even if I'm in a faraway mountain (granted, if 3G reaches the area...). It even helped me keep a better track of my finances.

All in all, my smartphone is so powerful and I can make it even more powerful, life without it would be archaic. I avoid using it when I'm with people, like when I'm having dinner with my family, so I don't think it made me an "anti-social" or anything. But when I'm alone and/or bored, it's the perfect thing to have because you can do so much with them.

Author:   Vindisaur
Date:   Jun 29, 12 at 8:46pm (PST)
Seems alright. I haven't played games for quite a while, or downloaded apps, probably just checking out the features of some stuffs only. Maybe it gets boring, on some occasions, it just depends.

Author:   ditto
Date:   Jun 30, 12 at 5:33pm (PST)

Seeing as I have an iPod and not an iPhone, it wouldn't make much of a difference to me. The main things I use my ipod for are music and web surfing. I do have it jailbroken though so I'll occasionally play a rom of an old gba game on it. It's also kind of a makeshift camera for when I need one.

So without my ipod I'd have to buy a crappy mp3 player (zune lol), use my laptop more often, buy another gameboy, and purchase an actual camera.

Author:   ryuxnina134
Date:   Jul 04, 12 at 10:46am (PST)
Same as above, I have an iPod touch. I use it mainly for music, and games. Now for games, I have other devices like my PSP and DS, so I can play that if I lose my iDevice. Music is the best on the iPod Touch, but I can live without that as well.

The phone may be something different, but I don't really see much productivity value in the device as a irreplaceable part of my life.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.