Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: The New iPad - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1720188-new-ipad/

Author:   Enhance
Date:   Mar 07, 12 at 5:54pm (PST)
Subject:   The New iPad
-------------------------------------------
As expected Apple unveiled the new iPad today. New features include a 2048 x 1536 Retina display which is a pixel density of 264ppi. This makes pixels indistinguishable when you hold the iPad at least 10 inches away from your face.

The iPad now runs on the A5X dual core processor. This uses a quad-core graphics processor which amounts to four times the graphics performance and twice as fast as the Tegra 3.

The camera on the back of the iPad is similar design to the iPhone 4S camera except for being 5MP vs the iPhone 4S's 8MP. Still a bump over the 3MP camera of the iPad 2. This allows 1080P video recording at 30FPS which should provide silky smooth playback on teh iPad's retina display. Video stabilization included similar to the iPhone 4S. The camera on the front is still the same old VGA.

4G LTE is now included on the iPad. Will run on both Verizon and AT&T and provide a theoretical max speed of 73 Mbps.

Siri has not been included with the iPad but a dictation system has been added that will allow you to speak emails and notes.

Expected 9 hour battery life when using 4G.

Available March 16th starting at $499.

New TV Spot:

-----------------------------

Sure is tempting but I don't think I will upgrade to the 3 from the 2. That retina display will probably look amazing but I was really hoping for Siri and a quad core processor. The quad core graphics processor is nice but not really a necessity for anything I'm going to do. Also, really only 5MP camera on the back? Couldn't throw the exact same sexy one from the 4S on there?

Author:   Kaiba
Date:   Mar 07, 12 at 8:12pm (PST)
Subject:   re: The New iPad
Nothing here that I need to have. My iPad 2 is perfect. It won't be until something significantly different is added that I'll feel the need to upgrade.

Similar to how I had the iTouch 2 and did not upgrade until the iTouch 4 came out.

Author:   bob8294
Date:   Mar 07, 12 at 9:26pm (PST)
Apparently the voice dictation system uses Siri framework or something of the sort.

Does anyone know if they're actually going to stick to calling it "The New iPad"?

Date:   Mar 07, 12 at 9:30pm (PST)
Whether they like it or not, people are going to call it the iPad 3.

Author:   xx2liu
Date:   Mar 08, 12 at 10:18am (PST)
I don't currently own an ipad but am looking to get one. Should I buy an ipad 2 or the new one? Do you think they'd discount ipad 1 prices to 319? I can't stand the form factor of the ipad 1, it feels too clumsy in my hands but if it saves me 200 bucks I'd go for it.

Just watched the entire event today on youtube...for me there are really only 2 upgrades that I could take advantage of, the retina display and that iSight camera. I won't be using 4G/LTE. Lack of siri and improvements to the front facing camera (facetime) was a letdown. So basically it will be spending an extra 100 dollars for the retina display...

Author:   Enhance
Date:   Mar 08, 12 at 3:53pm (PST)
quote bob8294
Apparently the voice dictation system uses Siri framework or something of the sort.

Does anyone know if they're actually going to stick to calling it "The New iPad"?
Apple is saying that it's just called the iPad. No 3, HD, or "New". Doesn't really make sense when you look at how they've named their new products in the past and this is only going to cause confusion. If Apple just wants it called iPad how does anyone know which iPad they are referring too? I'll stick with iPad 3. Simple and in line with how they've named their products in the past.

Author:   Nagare
Date:   Mar 08, 12 at 5:38pm (PST)
quote Kaiba
Nothing here that I need to have. My iPad 2 is perfect. It won't be until something significantly different is added that I'll feel the need to upgrade.
This.

Enhance, I think they are just sticking with "iPad" as their name for them. With the iPhones, you have the model name/number on the boxes, with the iPad you just get iPad on there.

Date:   Mar 08, 12 at 6:25pm (PST)
Indeed. The iPad 2 is also just the iPad.

Author:   louisa9
Date:   Mar 08, 12 at 11:41pm (PST)
I agree with the prior post that the ipad would be a far better choice in this circumstance.

Author:   Kafani
Date:   Mar 18, 12 at 10:56pm (PST)
quote Kaiba

Similar to how I had the iTouch 2 and did not upgrade until the iTouch 4 came out.
Your iPad 2 is not perfect. You're just in denial. The new camera is a lot better, the resolution is FOUR TIMES as clear as it was before, not to mention the processor is TWICE as powerful. Add voice recognition and LTE compatibility. I don't understand where your logic of technology comes from, but those are significant upgrades. To be completely frank, the iPad 2 fits your description of "no significant differences" between its previous version, but this new iPad is what a lot of people have been waiting for. Retina display is already enough of a selling point, but by adding a new camera and better performance, Apple went beyond what consumers demanded from them.

Also, the iPad 2 had a 0.7MP camera, not a 3MP. Thats why the bump up to 5MP is such a major achievement. I also have an iPad 2, a gift from my aunt, but I have the common sense to admit that since the announcement of the new iPad, what I hold in my hands is now obsolete.

This message was edited on 2012-03-18T23:06:58-07:00.

Date:   Mar 18, 12 at 11:14pm (PST)
Kafani, I played around with an iPad 3 today and I didn't really notice anything too special about the screen. Somethings looked slightly sharper and it was more "plasticy" looking to me. LTE is overrated until it is more widespread and cheaper. Voice recognition...woot? Not needed and its not even full Siri. The camera though is a big upgrade. The processor isn't twice as powerful either, in terms of graphics, sure, but not overall. That's why its an A5X, not A6.

The iPad 2 is far from obsolete.

Author:   Kafani
Date:   Mar 18, 12 at 11:20pm (PST)
Yeah, I also went to the Apple Store yesterday to fiddle around with one, brought my 2 along too. I don't know about you, but I noticed a BIG difference with the retina display. 4 times the pixel doesn't just look good on paper, its just that much better to look at. Games actually look like HD, and watching 1080p trailers, you'll notice the difference right away. Since I got my iPhone 4, anything less than retina display just looks choppy to me, so maybe I'm more sensitive to this type of thing.

As for the A5X, the iPad's focal point is the visuals, the graphics. I don't give two shits about the iOS performance, its already good enough on the 2, but the performance bump in graphics, thats where it matters. It means they can start developing more sophisticated games with higher polygon counts, it means the iPad is going to be a contender for a real gaming device rather than just a tablet.

Date:   Mar 18, 12 at 11:27pm (PST)
Yeah, I didn't have enough time to watch any videos but in just looking around some basic stuff and web pages it didn't look that "resolutionary" as they put it. As for it becoming a gaming device...I hope its not the "future" because I like more than just the touch screen, but if it makes Infinity Blade look better (I never thought it was so phenomenal tbh), more power to them.

I'm not saying the Retina display is pointless because I'm sure I'd grow to love it, but that doesn't make my 2 obsolete. As a matter of fact, the 1 probably still suffices for a good amount of people. This won't stop me from trying to see how much I can get for it on Craigslist though

Date:   Mar 29, 12 at 9:29am (PST)
quote Kafani
Your iPad 2 is not perfect.
Yes it is. You've said nothing to convince me otherwise.

The upgrades are not significant in the slightest.

You want to tell me that a new camera makes my iPad 2 imperfect? Hardly. I did not get the iPad 2 to take pictures. Do you think I walk around with my big *bleep*ing iPad 2 taking pictures of things? HELL NO. Being able to take pictures with it is nice, but in no way is it the reason I have it. How good or bad the camera is does not affect the perfection that is my iPad 2. If I want to take pictures with a better camera, I'll use my iPhone 4s.

You want to tell me about the retina display of the iPad 3, and how that somehow makes the iPad 2 obsolete? Excuse me while I laugh my *bleep*ing ass off. Once again, this is not why I have an iPad. There are 3 HD TVs in my house. If I'm worried about looking at something that looks "really good", I'll go watch one of those. Perhaps pop in a Blu-Ray to get the full effect. Watch some HD channels, maybe. Not to mention the fact that I notice little to no difference between a retina screen and a non-retina screen. Any video I happen to watch on my iPad 2 looks amazing already. The perfection of my iPad 2 has once again not been affected by the poorly upgraded iPad 3.

Twice as powerful? Well, I notice no problems in the power of my iPad 2. It performs exactly as I expect it to, and I have no complaints as of yet. Once again, the perfection makes it through unscathed.

See, I'm not one of those pathetic iSheep, who have to get the latest iProduct no matter what. The iPad 3 does not have one single thing that has me wanting to run out and get it even a little bit.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, my friend. I think my iPad 2 is perfect. I just pity you that in your eyes you now have an obsolete device. Something that you are unable to enjoy due to the fact that a supposedly better one exists.

So who is more jaded here? Me, who feels no desire to upgrade and is very happy with what he has, or you, who has such a view of technology that makes him disappointed with what he has. That makes him of the opinion that he needs this new device to be happy with his iPad? I don't know about you, but I would prefer to be on my side of things.

Author:   smarti3
Date:   Mar 29, 12 at 12:58pm (PST)
So, I'm looking to buy an Ipad. I've never owned a tablet or Iphone in my life.

I wont use a camera regularly or 4G (will get a wifi model). I'll use it mainly for reading books/things on the web and gaming

Can the Ipad 2 run the latest games even and is it pixel-ly ?

Question is should I go for the slightly cheaper Ipad 2 or get the new and (slightly?) improved New Ipad ?

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.