Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Apple HDTV - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1714259-apple-hdtv/

Author:   Enhance
Date:   Feb 07, 12 at 11:11pm (PST)
Subject:   Apple HDTV
-------------------------------------------
Don't know if you guys saw the report earlier this week about a survey Best Buy released about a "hypothetical" Apple HDTV:

For $1499 I definitely think that I'd be interested in picking one up. Having all of the apps right on the big screen would be awesome. Mentions have a camera included as well which would be really cool. Would love to FaceTime over my TV.

It's all still rumors at this point but it's pretty unanimously agreed that Apple will come into the TV market soon.

Thoughts?

Author:   Nagare
Date:   Feb 07, 12 at 11:15pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Apple HDTV
I saw it and thought it was pretty cool (also cool to see another Verge reader). It's definitely a fair price for Apple to charge, especially compared to their Cinema Displays but this lacks in comparison of pixel density and whatnot, but still would be nice to see around.

Author:   Roy
Date:   Feb 08, 12 at 1:03am (PST)
I can see this happening, but what I am wondering is why it has not happened sooner?

Date:   Feb 08, 12 at 6:32am (PST)
Because they "revolutionize" one market at a time. TVs marks the first time they let Google beat them to it though (imo), but Google TV hasn't really succeeded at all.

Author:   bob8294
Date:   Feb 08, 12 at 4:55pm (PST)
There's also a rumor floating out there that Bell and Rogers have prototypes and are beta testing for Apple, apparently they want a launch partner capable of supporting it. Seriously sounds like they're looking at incorporating 3G radios in the thing, seeing as Bell and Rogers don't have nationwide wired internet coverage.

Author:   walnuts
Date:   Feb 09, 12 at 1:22am (PST)
quote Nagare
Because they "revolutionize" one market at a time. TVs marks the first time they let Google beat them to it though (imo), but Google TV hasn't really succeeded at all.
Only because none of the major networks are willing to allow their content be shown through the internet, as Google TV wants to do.

This TV doesn't do anything that isn't already on the market. However, it will simplify it, so it'll be a money spinner for sure.

Author:   bob8294
Date:   Feb 09, 12 at 3:00am (PST)
The problem is that networks are rediculously greedy. They already have their shows streaming on the internet, they would just like to get all the ad money that comes along with the traffic that wants to watch their online content. I think Apple could pull off "revolutionizing" the market just like they did with the music industry and be able to consolidate all that media onto one platform, and be able to charge customers per month or something like that.

Edit: Hell, Apple already has a ton of shows for sale/rent on iTunes, shouldn't be too hard to allow the new "Apple HDTV" to access it as well, especially if it's going to be running on a variant of iOS.

Date:   Feb 09, 12 at 4:18am (PST)
The price for the TV is very reasonable. I thought it would be as expensive as their laptops/notebooks and desktops computers.

Date:   Feb 09, 12 at 5:07am (PST)
quote Roy
The price for the TV is very reasonable. I thought it would be as expensive as their laptops/notebooks and desktops computers.
or their Cinema displays which are $1000 for 27inches of 2560-by-1440 glory.

Author:   Enhance
Date:   Feb 09, 12 at 5:29am (PST)
If it was any other company I'd say that $1500 was a bit pricey for a 42" 1080P LED TV but you have to expect to pay a premium when it comes to Apple gear. Can't really say how well it will do. When they brought out the iPhone there wasn't anything like it on the market and everyone wanted one. Everyone has a TV though and many already have features such as Pandora or YouTube built in so I don't expect people to be clamoring to get an Apple TV right away besides fanboys.

Date:   Feb 09, 12 at 5:38am (PST)
I was going to say the price was actually reasonable for that size TV, but nevermind. That's posing a grand premium on some of the other options available.

Date:   Feb 10, 12 at 12:10am (PST)
I bet it's 240Hz as well, that's why it's $1500, or maybe it's 480Hz.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.