Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: iTunes isn't recognizing that I have my iPod plugged in - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1713247-itunes-isn-recognizing-that-have-my-ipod-plugged-in/

Author:   Renkyu
Date:   Feb 02, 12 at 7:15pm (PST)
Subject:   iTunes isn't recognizing that I have my iPod plugged in
-------------------------------------------
I didn't know of any other place to post it other than here, but I'm having trouble with my iPod touch and connecting it to iTunes. I've tried removing and reinstalling iTunes and other steps listen on the site, but nothing is working.

When I plug my iPod in, Autoplay comes up and the iPod is recognized as a "Digital Camera".

When I run diagnostics in iTunes it shows this screen:

I have no idea what to do, any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:The iPod is a second generation 32 gig iPod touch (Version 3.1.3) and I have the latest iTunes installed on the computer.

Author:   LOD-squa
Date:   Feb 02, 12 at 7:37pm (PST)
Subject:   re: iTunes isn't recognizing that I have my iPod plugged in
Have you tried doing it with a different cable? Different USB slot?

Date:   Feb 02, 12 at 8:35pm (PST)
Yeah, it's not just my iPod also, it doesn't recognize my friends either.

Author:   Enhance
Date:   Feb 02, 12 at 9:47pm (PST)
Does your iPod say it is charging when you have it plugged in?

Author:   bob8294
Date:   Feb 02, 12 at 10:54pm (PST)
Looks like you're on Win7.

Search for services in the start menu, click on the one with the gears beside it's name. Scroll down till you find the service called iPod Helper, and make sure it says Started beside it. If it's not started, right click on the service and hit start. Do this with your iPod unplugged. Once it's started you can reconnect your iPod and it should be detected.

If the above doesn't work, please open up Task Manager(taskmgr.exe from the start menu), and see if "AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe *32" and "AppleMobileDeviceService.exe *32" is running.

Weird that iTunes is saying that iTunes Helper isn't started, cause in my experience iTunes won't even start or it will take a REALLY long time to boot up if iTunesHelper.exe isn't running. According to Apple, iTunesHelper is required to make iTunes start automatically when an iPod is connected. Out of curiosity, would you mind checking if "iTunesHelper.exe *32" is running as well?

Renkyu

Author:   Castlewars
Date:   Feb 04, 12 at 12:08pm (PST)
Well, I have Win 7 and yet I successfully synched my iPad to iTunes. Are you sure there's something wrong?

bob8294

Author:   bob8294
Date:   Feb 04, 12 at 6:02pm (PST)
castlewars Uhh...sorry I'm not too sure I'm following what you're saying. I wasn't saying that there's a problem with Win 7, just that there might be a couple of services which are required for iTunes to sync with his iPod are turned off.

Date:   Feb 15, 12 at 3:52am (PST)
I finally got it working, after uninstalling and installing it maybe 4 times it worked. The iTunes store doesn't always work properly but if I type in "netsh winsock reset" into command prompt it loaded for me. Kind of weird. Thanks though!

PS. Sorry for the way late reply

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.