Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Can someone help me? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1712828-someone-help/

Author:   Giratina
Date:   Jan 31, 12 at 6:27pm (PST)
Subject:   Can someone help me?
-------------------------------------------
I have an 8 gb ipod touch and it has only s little bit of memory left. I have 1,524.3 mb or so, but it says I have only 1.2gb of memory left.

Author:   Aura
Date:   Jan 31, 12 at 8:45pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Can someone help me?
From how I remember it, there are a few different types of memory and what they are used for. For example, a 32GB iPhone will never have the full 32GB of memory to be used for applications, music, or any other files (about 29GB can be used). That's because the other 3GB is allocated for other commands and operations (such as the operating system). Same thing would apply to your iPod Touch, but on a smaller scale.

Been a while since I learned about this stuff, but I'm pretty sure that's about right.

Author:   bob8294
Date:   Jan 31, 12 at 11:49pm (PST)
Aura's right. Although if you're jailbroken, in my experience all the space that is used for Cydia apps gets added to how ever much the operating system is using.

Author:   Xenctuary
Date:   Feb 01, 12 at 12:00am (PST)
quote Aura
For example, a 32GB iPhone will never have the full 32GB of memory to be used for applications, music, or any other files (about 29GB can be used).
That's because in marketing terms 1GB is calculated as 1000MB, whereas in programming terms 1GB equals 1024MB. This means that a 32GB iPhone only actually has 30.5GB of available space. It's written in the small print on the iPhone box: "1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less."

iOS also takes up some space (around 1GB), leaving you with considerably less than what was advertised.

Author:   fashionpsq
Date:   Feb 23, 12 at 7:41am (PST)
Of course it right!!

Author:   louisa9
Date:   Feb 23, 12 at 10:16am (PST)
quote Xenctuary
quote Aura
For example, a 32GB iPhone will never have the full 32GB of memory to be used for applications, music, or any other files (about 29GB can be used).
That's because in marketing terms 1GB is calculated as 1000MB, whereas in programming terms 1GB equals 1024MB. This means that a 32GB iPhone only actually has 30.5GB of available space. It's written in the small print on the iPhone box: "1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less."

iOS also takes up some space (around 1GB), leaving you with considerably less than what was advertised.

I think so.A iPhone will never have the full memory to be used which they called.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.