Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General Discussion I: Ushering in the iRise - page 3

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1712487-general-discussion-ushering-in-irise/3.htm

Author:   LOD-squa
Date:   Feb 25, 12 at 3:07am (PST)
Subject:   re: General Discussion I: Ushering in the iRise
-------------------------------------------
I just got done with my finals and I got done with school; I go by trimester so it's completely different for me.

Author:   Roy
Date:   Feb 25, 12 at 6:37am (PST)
Trimester? So it's three times a year? I am used to the two times when taking those tests.

Author:   Ayriak
Date:   Feb 28, 12 at 9:28am (PST)
To think that once upon a time I was considering taking my father up on his offer of an apprenticeship as a builder, the last couple of days of working with him have been nothing but a fierce sun beating down, and non-stop labour. The physically demanding side of it doesn't bother me, the heat doesn't really bother me much either, it's just that sun, and its sunburn inflicting rays.

Need to do it for the money though, because I've gotta get a new computer as soon as possible. Can't do that if I'm not working.

Date:   Jun 14, 12 at 7:01am (PST)
Wow, four months without a single post - stranger things have happened, haha. The past few weeks have been... interesting. Well, interesting would probably be a poor choice of word, surprising sounds more accurate.

So, I got accepted into university (that was surprising), had my Australian citizenship application accepted, so now I can take the test and get dual citizenship, and I scored full-time work in a nice, cold environment, no more risk of sunburn for me! =D

How's everyone else been doing?

Author:   Wilhelm Ryan
Date:   Jun 28, 12 at 8:10am (PST)
I don't know how, but I forgot this forum had a GD. Nonetheless, congrats Aura! On both, getting accepted to university and citizenship. Did you just move to Aussie or something?

And life has been okay for me. I'm kind of a music-enthusiast, and 2012 is an amazing year for music. :3 Three of my five favorite bands are playing live, within driving distance of me. I saw Dream Theater about two weeks ago, I'll be seeing Iron Maiden in another two weeks, and then Mumford & Sons on the first Tuesday of August. <3 All I need now is for Pearl Jam and Coheed & Cambria to play around here, and I'll be the happiest man in the world.

Ohhh, and I work as an aide at my local hospital. The job sucks as. I have a transfer in to my hospital's Information Services department to work as a Computer Operator. Hoping to hear back soon; I had one interview, supposed to have a second interview soon. If I get the job, I'll be excited as hell.

Author:   Arietta
Date:   Jun 28, 12 at 5:53pm (PST)
I didn't even know there was a GD .
I have dual citizenship too. I am Bolivian but I'm also Spaniard and that allows me to be wherever I want in Europe.

Date:   Jun 28, 12 at 11:26pm (PST)
Thanks Wilhelm Ryan, it was definitely a good news week for me to be sure. I moved to Australia with my family ten years ago (as of four days ago), but citizenship was never something that was a concern. I left school to start an apprenticeship at seventeen, so I've got my trade qualification there, which is always handy if I need something to fall back on.

Hope the new job prospect works out for you, sounds like it'll be a more fulfilling role for you than the current line of work. I find it interesting you mentioned seeing Dream Theater, when I first got into progressive metal, that was one of the bands I went out and bought a few CDs of. Favourite band for me would have to Symphony X - haven't seen them live yet unfortunately.

Vermillion, just wondering, does your dual citizenship allow you to live anywhere you want in Europe, or does it just entitle you to a longer visa period? If the former, that'd be pretty awesome.

Date:   Jun 28, 12 at 11:43pm (PST)
Aura: According to my dad, who did the whole paperwork for me to get the Spaniard passport and citizenship, I can live wherever I want in Europe. It recognizes me as an European citizen so if I get bored of a country, I can live in another one, any time. No need for other paperwork or visas.

Another nice advantage is that I don't need any visas to travel anywhere (or to most countries, anyway). I'm Bolivian, and we need a visa to go to the USA for example. My mom has to go through the work of getting an American visa, but me and my brother can go to the USA using our Spaniard passwords only.

And I'm glad you guys like metal. I love all types of Metal. All of them. I used to like Progressive Metal a lot but lately I'm more into Death Metal and Gothic Metal. Symphonic Metal is another favorite too. We don't get many concerts in this archaic county, but I remember seeing Epica live and it being the best concert I have ever been to.

Date:   Jun 29, 12 at 6:34am (PST)
Aura ;o I love Dream Theater so much, definitely one of my favorite bands. Symphony X is up there as well. Just saw DT two weeks ago, very amazing. If you like prog, check out Coheed & Cambria. :3 They're not nearly as "metal" as Symphony X or DT (although they have some songs that would be considered progressive metal), but still, they're amazing. They have five albums out now, along with two novels and a crap ton of comics all based on the band's storyline. <3

Vermillion Duuude, I have a soft spot for symphonic metal bands. Especially the female-fronted ones like Nightwish and Epica. Both of their new albums are awesome, but Epica's "Design Your Universe" album is still my favorite. "Ghost River" by Nightwish is seriously a very addicting song.

Date:   Jun 29, 12 at 10:44am (PST)
Wilhelm Ryan Nightwish used to be my favorite band. I love absolutely everything they have released, and yes, Imaginaerum wasn't a disappointing album in the least! Love Epica too. I also think Design Your Universe is probably their best album to date. I own a couple of CDs for my favorite bands and Design Your Universe is one of them. The cover is awesome. I love the artwork Seth Siro does. When he designs album covers, they are wonderful.

Nowadays I would say Paradise Lost is my favorite band. They have played many different styles throughout the years so I recommend you all listen to at least one song of each album they have released. That band is amazing beyond words.

And I don't like C&C. All their songs sound nearly the same and can be very repetitive.

Date:   Jun 29, 12 at 9:39pm (PST)
I'm not gonna lie, I'm in love with Marco. There's four people I'd go gay for in this world: Marco, Claudio Sanchez, Eddie Vedder, and Chris Cornell. <3 I love his singing during Bye Bye Beautiful.

I never heard anyone say that about Coheed. Most people I know either hate, or just won't listen to Coheed because of Claudio's voice. I think they have a pretty good range of music personally. Have you ever listened the pre-Coheed stuff, when they were Shabutie? It sounds so much darker, and *bleep*ed up. Claudio's voice isn't nearly as high, and he does some really epic screams.

^ Probably my favorite. I love Disciple's Anthem, and Strung Short as well.

Date:   Jun 30, 12 at 2:45am (PST)
While we're on the subject of metal, here's a few videos of what I think are some awesome guitar solo demonstrations:

Don't know if it's just me, but in Michael Angelo Batio's demo, at 2:40 when he starts to pick up in speed it just starts to feel intense.

Date:   Jun 30, 12 at 7:58am (PST)
Michael Romeo is such a badass. :3 I love his Sea of Lies video, from the same set.

Also, this is just a guitar cover of "Godzilla" by Blue Oyster Cult, however, it's easily one of the best Youtube covers I've ever seen, ever.

Date:   Jun 30, 12 at 11:13am (PST)
I actually like Claudio's voice. If there's something that could save C&C is Claudio's voice. But the rest of their music is really repetitive. I have their own discography because I used to like them, but nowadays is hard to differences in their songs.

And I don't like the likes of Michael Romeo either. Usually I hate "virtuoso-oriented" metal. Kind of the reason power metal is probably my least favorite subgender of metal ever. I listen to power metal every now and then a-la-Rhapsody of Fire and a couple of others.

Now that we are sharing vids, let me show you some of my favorite songs ever. if you listen to the Paradise Lost ones, you gotta listen to them all because their style tends to change through albums:

The Last Time (Cover), from one of their most successful album Draconian Times.

Say Just Words, one Paradise Lost's best songs IMO.

World Pretending (This video is fan-made).

Pray Nightfall.

Redshift.

Ash & Debris.

Rise of Denial. One of my favorite songs and music videos ever created.

Honesty in Death. Bizarre video. Love this one.

Bah, I will share more vids by different bands later.

Date:   Jul 01, 12 at 2:14am (PST)
Oh wow... just wow. I think I'm gonna end up with some sort of music overload at this rate. It's awesome you guys appreciate metal too.

What do you think of classical music?

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.