Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General Discussion I: Ushering in the iRise - page 2

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1712487-general-discussion-ushering-in-irise/2.htm

Author:   ProudLoz
Date:   Jan 31, 12 at 12:01am (PST)
Subject:   re: General Discussion I: Ushering in the iRise
-------------------------------------------
Hmmm I'm hoping that some of you have Macs on you, and also that you rip your CDs, if you're one of the two, what kind of drive do you guys have? I unfortunately have the Mac Mini Server 2011 version and so I don't have a damn CD Drive on it, so ripping CDs is impossible. I did however buy a Bluray drive to rip Blurays, but I found out that it's not that great at ripping CDs, if misses a few blocks of info on the last tracks on any CD, and although those last few blocks are silence, they still seem vital to me. I don't know why.

So, does anyone have an External CD/DVD drive that's awesome for ripping CDs? What about that Macbook Air Superdrive? If anyone has it can you tell me the drive's name on the "About this Mac" info page so I can see if it's in the Accuraterip's database? D:

I'm bored with my money.

Author:   Ayriak
Date:   Feb 03, 12 at 5:30pm (PST)
Had a few problems with my laptop over the last few weeks, and in the last couple of days or so, they've gotten much worse. I pulled my laptop apart, and checked the power connection, and it looked as though the component for the power adapter input wasn't connected to what I imagine was a conductor pad.

It was a temporary fix, which seems to be working for now, but I still think it's only a matter of time before my laptop dies completely.

Thinking about getting something like this over the next few weeks or so, when I can afford it. Any input on the specs for this?

Author:   Enhance
Date:   Feb 06, 12 at 7:57am (PST)
quote Aura
Had a few problems with my laptop over the last few weeks, and in the last couple of days or so, they've gotten much worse. I pulled my laptop apart, and checked the power connection, and it looked as though the component for the power adapter input wasn't connected to what I imagine was a conductor pad.

It was a temporary fix, which seems to be working for now, but I still think it's only a matter of time before my laptop dies completely.

Thinking about getting something like this over the next few weeks or so, when I can afford it. Any input on the specs for this?
What all do you plan on doing with your laptop? Gaming, general office stuff, video editing, etc?

Also, ZL, don't use a Mac Mini myself but do have a friend who uses his Mini as a media server and I know that he will rip CD's right to it. Will get in touch with him tomorrow and ask him what drive he uses.

This message was edited on 2012-02-06T00:13:44-08:00.

Author:   Nagare
Date:   Feb 06, 12 at 8:09am (PST)
Not sure why, but I hate Toshiba. Go with an Acer or an Asus, both are more reliable imo and I love Asus mostly since I got my ROG laptop before).

Author:   Ayriak
Date:   Feb 06, 12 at 4:54pm (PST)
quote Enhance
What all do you plan on doing with your laptop? Gaming, general office stuff, video editing, etc?

Video editing and eventually general office work, I rarely ever use my laptop for gaming, and when I do, it's for old games that I run on DOSBox, which doesn't require much to run at all.

Nagare, my girlfriend bought herself an Acer laptop a few months or so ago, and even with it's seemingly high quality specs (something like a 2.2GHZ i5 processor, 8GB Ram 1GB dedicated graphics card and more), it's been really unreliable. I've never had any problem with my current Toshiba (until now that is), which is running a 2.7GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 4GB Ram, and a 1GB GeForce Nvidia graphics card (don't recall the exact model).

Before that it was a HP, which was ok, but it probably would have been a lot better if I hadn't been running Vista on it. Mainly because of the good experiences I've had with Toshiba is why I want to get another one, I'm sure if I had a bad experience with the next one I wouldn't be so quick to jump at another Toshiba.

Date:   Feb 07, 12 at 10:58pm (PST)
That laptop should be more than sufficient for your needs then Aura. Don't expect great battery life out of the i7 though. Also, might want to take that link over to the computer hardware forum to make sure that it uses the latest sandy bridge processor. I haven't kept up with that recently so wouldn't be able to tell you.

Date:   Feb 07, 12 at 11:17pm (PST)
Aura, in that case I'm all for it. If you would want to wait, I'd recommend getting an "ultra book", but they don't really offer anything extra except size benefits which may or may not be important to you.

Author:   bob8294
Date:   Feb 07, 12 at 11:41pm (PST)
quote Enhance
That laptop should be more than sufficient for your needs then Aura. Don't expect great battery life out of the i7 though. Also, might want to take that link over to the computer hardware forum to make sure that it uses the latest sandy bridge processor. I haven't kept up with that recently so wouldn't be able to tell you.
The processor is out of the new Sandy Bridge architecture, seems to be pretty quick too. The only thing I can see that's sort of iffy is there doesn't seem to be any mention at all of the Optimus system for the video card, most laptops I've seen almost always flaunt it about as part of their power-saving features. Apart from that, the 525M is pretty good, you should be able to run BF3 on medium-low depending on how well the laptop deals with heat. I've got the 540M and I can run on medium at 40fps, but my processor gets throttled once the heat reaches a threshold. Should be pretty easy to get around the 5 hours it says out of the battery.

Date:   Feb 07, 12 at 11:53pm (PST)
Oh yeah, you can also wait for Ivy Bridge based laptops to start coming out which might be around the summer time. All depends on how soon you need or want the new laptop.

Date:   Feb 08, 12 at 4:15am (PST)
You may also want to look to see what they want for that laptop direct from Toshiba's website. You can usually find coupons through websites like LogicBuy if you order direct from the manufacturer. Saved $250 when I bought my laptop.

Author:   Quetzalcoatl
Date:   Feb 12, 12 at 6:54pm (PST)
Happy birthday Enhance.

Author:   Pokenerd15
Date:   Feb 12, 12 at 7:39pm (PST)
quote Quetzalcoatl
Happy birthday Enhance.
I second this. lol.

Date:   Feb 13, 12 at 10:17pm (PST)
Thanks Quetzalcoatl and Pokenerd15!

Author:   fashionpsq
Date:   Feb 20, 12 at 1:37am (PST)
I'd never spend the money on to buy.

Date:   Feb 23, 12 at 10:16pm (PST)
How's everyone's week going?

Haven't had to worry about any exams or quizzes this week fortunately but next week I have 2 exams and 2 more the following week. Anyone else coming up on midterms?

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.