Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Jailbreak for iOS 5.0.1 / iPhone 4S and iPad 2 - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1711151-jailbreak-for-ios-5-1-iphone-4s-ipad-2/

Author:   Freeze
Date:   Jan 23, 12 at 3:44pm (PST)
Subject:   Jailbreak for iOS 5.0.1 / iPhone 4S and iPad 2
-------------------------------------------
The Chronic Dev Team has released their untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.0.1 on the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 along with a Windows GUI. The jailbreak is called Absinthe and is available on the website of greenpois0n.

I just tested it on my iPhone 4S and it works like a charm. Some people (including myself) run into a bug with the jailbreak at first, because it won't do the final step.

Stuck on the "Absinthe is now setting things up, please stand by..."

quote NaVe at iphoneblogr.com
1. Jailbreak it as the guides
2. DO NOT open the Absinthe app.
3. Go into settings, Netword, VPN,
4. It reboots and after the Cydia is on the home screen.

Author:   bob8294
Date:   Jan 23, 12 at 11:43pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Jailbreak for iOS 5.0.1 / iPhone 4S and iPad 2
According to the Absinthe guide on modmyi, there is no step with "Absinthe is now setting things up, please stand by...". If this is during the JB process maybe try going back to DFU and rejailbreaking again, that seems to be the fallback with any jailbreaking error.

Date:   Jan 26, 12 at 5:06pm (PST)
bob8294, they have it wrong.. The guide says this:
Once the process has finished in Absinthe, it will alert you to unlock the screen if necessary and tap the "Absinthe" icon to finish the jailbreak. Remember, the icon may not be on the first page - scroll to find it.

Tapping the icon will bring up a webview with a white page, and then your device will restart.
The moment you tap the Absinthe icon to complete the jailbreak, some users get the "Absinthe is now setting things up, please stand by..." message. That is why I included the fix in the first post to begin with. It may work following your guide, if it doesn't.. you can fix that too.

Author:   Kaiba
Date:   Jan 29, 12 at 12:32am (PST)
Could someone explain to me what 5.0.1 has to offer? (both with and without the jailbreak)

The other day I finally upgraded to 5.0.1 and jailbroke it, but I'm not sure what all is different. All that I've noticed is that stupid Newsstand app that refuses to go into any folders or be deleted or be poofed, and the notifications thing that you get if your swipe downward from the status bar.

And in case you missed the hint, I would like to know how to get the Newsstand app out of my sight.

Author:   ProudLoz
Date:   Jan 29, 12 at 2:04am (PST)
5.0.1 was just for some bug fixes and some battery life fixes that people were reporting with the iPhone 4S when it first launch. Then there was another smaller 5.0.1 release that fixed a rare "SIM Failure" alert for Sprint and Verizon (and some AT&T) users.

Date:   Jan 29, 12 at 2:07am (PST)
I forgot to mention that I jumped from something like 4.0.1 (around there) to the current one. So there could be a whole mess of things I don't know about. :\

Author:   ProudLoz
Date:   Jan 29, 12 at 2:16am (PST)
Well here's Apple's page describing what's new in iOS 5. The major ones being a revised notification system and iMessage.

Author:   LOD-squa
Date:   Jan 29, 12 at 3:53pm (PST)
quote Kaiba
Could someone explain to me what 5.0.1 has to offer? (both with and without the jailbreak)

The other day I finally upgraded to 5.0.1 and jailbroke it, but I'm not sure what all is different. All that I've noticed is that stupid Newsstand app that refuses to go into any folders or be deleted or be poofed, and the notifications thing that you get if your swipe downward from the status bar.

And in case you missed the hint, I would like to know how to get the Newsstand app out of my sight.
There are some tweaks to get Newstand out of view. It's Springtomize 2. It enables you to edit springboard; and it also allows you to hide certain icons. However; it is a paid cydia app.

Date:   Jan 30, 12 at 12:00am (PST)
You can just hide apps via SBsettings as a free feature LOD-squa
Unfortunately the Newsstand app seems to be unwilling to disappear with me (but that's because I have a Dutch iPhone I guess).

Date:   Jan 30, 12 at 12:07am (PST)
quote Freeze
You can just hide apps via SBsettings as a free feature LOD-squa
Unfortunately the Newsstand app seems to be unwilling to disappear with me (but that's because I have a Dutch iPhone I guess).
As I mentioned before, Newsstand refuses to be poofed (the SBSettings feature that hides apps).

Date:   Jan 30, 12 at 12:07am (PST)
Eh... same here, I'm too tired to read, sorry

Date:   Jan 30, 12 at 12:09am (PST)
I don't know what it is about Newsstand, but I can't even put it in a folder via the Cydia app "Categories". :\

WHY DO THEY THINK EVERYONE WANTS THAT THING FRONT AND CENTER. WHYYYYY.

Author:   Nagare
Date:   Jan 30, 12 at 1:07am (PST)
quote Kaiba
The other day I finally upgraded to 5.0.1 and jailbroke it, but I'm not sure what all is different.
In case you didn't read it elsewhere, GESTURES BRO. Seriously, they are quite nice and I use them all the time, even though I thought I would never use them. Four finger swipe left or right to move through recent apps, four up to access recent apps, and five together to go to homescreen.

Author:   LOD-squa
Date:   Jan 30, 12 at 5:44am (PST)
Sadly newstand is just a way for apple to force you to buy shit you don't want(in a sense). I'm just glad springtomize 2 lets you hide it. It was annoying the shit out of me.

Date:   Jan 30, 12 at 10:18am (PST)
LOD-squa, man you're a life saver! Finally I got rid of iBooks (and yes, that saved my life by keeping me from slowly popping from frustration)

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.