Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: My iTunes Library is Gone - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1592346-my-itunes-library-gone/

Author:   mr_awesome3
Date:   Nov 08, 10 at 1:41am (PST)
Subject:   My iTunes Library is Gone
-------------------------------------------
Recently, my iTunes library has gotten a little big, so last night, I decided to move it to an external hard drive. I went to 'My Documents' and dragged the 'Music' folder containing my iTunes library into the external hard drive. Satisfied, I went to bed.

Now the next morning, I start up my laptop and open up iTunes, and my whole library is gone. I figured it had something to do with moving my library to the external hard drive, so I copied my 'Music' folder back into 'My Documents' and restarted iTunes. Still nothing. So I tried going to 'Preferences' and changing the location of my library. No luck

So now, my iTunes library is completely gone, but the iTunes folder is in its original place in 'My Documents'. Is there any way I can restore my library and move it to the external hard drive without messing it up?

Author:   ProudLoz
Date:   Nov 08, 10 at 1:53am (PST)
Subject:   re: My iTunes Library is Gone
Get the "iTunes Library.itl" file, and drag and drop it into iTunes. See what happens.

Date:   Nov 08, 10 at 2:33am (PST)
Umm...nothing happened. Mine doesn't have the '.itl' after it though, it's just 'iTunes Library'. I think it's a LIB file. Is it supposed to be?

Date:   Nov 08, 10 at 2:38am (PST)
Mines an .itl file, so maybe that's the problem. What iTunes do you have installed? I have iTunes 10, so maybe the file name changed.

Edit: Apparently dragging the file doesn't even do anything. I'm not entirely sure what to do now. The only thing I can think of is for you to rename that iTunes folder that contains the library files and what not, to something like "iTunes Backup", then open up iTunes and let it create a fresh new iTunes library. Dig into that new folder, and then replace that new "iTunes Library.itl" file with the old one that you backed up in your old folder. Then see what happens.

Date:   Nov 08, 10 at 3:17am (PST)
Alright! It worked! I just replaced the new library with my old library and all my music and video is back AND all the memory-hogging files are still in the external hard drive! Thanks man, I thought I was totally screwed.

Date:   Nov 08, 10 at 3:23am (PST)
Sweet! I think something similar like this happened to mine when I put my music in the external hard drive. Glad it worked.

Author:   Roy
Date:   Nov 25, 10 at 11:42pm (PST)
Okay my iPhone 3GS was working with this computer and it had to have it's harddrive replaced (and I don't keep songs in a folder), Okay, I enabled the back up, but even when I want to do manual update it says it will erase it, even though it only shows that 1GB would be erased. Would it erase the entire iPhone? I hope not, and I am looking for a free program that can put all 1800 songs back onto my PC as well as the apps, pictures, games, videos, etc. Does this erase contacts too?

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.