Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: iPad - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1476291-ipad/

Author:   bobbonew
Date:   Jan 28, 10 at 12:19am (PST)
Subject:   iPad
-------------------------------------------
So at today's Apple announcement, the iPad was debuted.

Ingenious minute to minute breakdown.

What do you guys think? Personally, I loathe the name. Just sounds corny and I've already mixed it up with iPod. Would love to test drive it though. Sorry if there is a dupe thread, didn't see one from a quick look.

Author:   The Slayer
Date:   Jan 28, 10 at 12:39am (PST)
Subject:   re: iPad
I hate the name. It sounds like a feminine hygiene product.

As for the device itself, apple is leaving it open for a lot of improvements it looks. Before they announced it today, I was pretty sure it wouldnt have a camera just so they could release a new model with a camera and have everyone upgrade theirs.

It is also way too much like a large iPod touch and less like a laptop. No USB ports? The same app store as the iphone? I'd rather it run a modified version of snow leopard than the same OS as the iphone. Since its running what is pretty much the iphone OS, it doesnt have flash support either. I've also read it has no multitasking which is stupid. Looking at pictures of the desktop it only has 4 app icons in a row. That looks like a huge waste of space.

I dont think it will even be very good for watching movies on. It doesnt even have a wide screen display and I think I only saw one speaker on it.

I never even wanted one to begin with and I think this is pretty fail. That, or apple is just being smart and releasing this version, wait for everyone to buy it, then release another version so everyone can buy it again.

The price is also a little high too. If they dropped each model down by about $100 it would be more reasonable for what it is.

Edit: Something else I've thought of,.. It doesnt look very useful. It doesnt have the same usefulness as a laptop or ease of typing on nor is it portable enough to carry around with you all the time. If I had one, the only place I could think of using it would be at home so I could just lounge around and surf the net or watch some movies on it.

Author:   The Living Angelus
Date:   Jan 28, 10 at 7:23am (PST)
It's just a portable touch screen, stripped down laptop. Was expecting something more revolutionary like what they did with the iPhone (now every company and phone has copied it), but with all these drawbacks for the iPad, it'll just be nothing more than a quick fad for the rich to buy. How many average joe's will really go out and drop $500 on one when it does half of what a normal laptop/notebook does.

quote The Slayer
I never even wanted one to begin with and I think this is pretty fail. That, or apple is just being smart and releasing this version, wait for everyone to buy it, then release another version so everyone can buy it again.
Which is exactly what will happen by next year with their first revisions of it.

Author:   Shinobi_razor
Date:   Jan 29, 10 at 6:14am (PST)
worthless attempt to compete in the netbook market. PC netbooks are half the price and have tons more power and HDD space. Apple fails.

Author:   Fifth Column
Date:   Jan 29, 10 at 8:29pm (PST)
Huge disappointment, they hyped this thing up like it was going to fit in between a MacBook and an iPhone perfectly (as in can do everything that they can't) and seamlessly integrate with each other. Maybe this will go a lot further in the long run as developers push its capabilities to the limit (I could see it having a very strong video game market), but as it stands this was just way overhyped and really not useful if you have an iPhone or a MacBook.

Author:   Reason
Date:   Feb 02, 10 at 4:54pm (PST)
It looks really awkward to use as well. I'd much rather use a netbook on the train.

Author:   HBK619
Date:   Feb 06, 10 at 11:50pm (PST)
quote Shinobi_razor
worthless attempt to compete in the netbook market. PC netbooks are half the price and have tons more power and HDD space. Apple fails.
Apple has never tried to have the best specs and cheapest price for their products that's not the market they're targeting. They're targeting people who love having new technology for the sake of it being new, and who love things which are stylish and different. The consumers who buy the iPad are buying them so people see them using it and say 'Hey, is that an iPad, what's it like?' because they want people to care about their opinion, not to have a great piece of hardware per se. For this reason I think it will be wildly successful, although I can't see myself buying one.

Author:   Sigma
Date:   Feb 24, 10 at 10:42pm (PST)
Everything made by apple is expensive. First the itouch, then the iphone, then the MacBook, now the ipad. Next will be the iPad 3G, which is going to cost about $200 more then the normal ipad.

Author:   boberperson
Date:   Feb 25, 10 at 7:38pm (PST)
So iPad blows dick right? Well that's what everyone though about the iPod when it came out, remember this?.

So maybe it is an over sized iPod touch, running a phone processor, that can't multitask, and locks you into becoming an iClone through iTunes, where you can help apple reach $20Bil songs aka $20bil+ in pure profit, while insuring all your proprietary accessories will lock you into buying more inferior iGatchets in the future, and insuring your whole digital lifestyle revolves around the iTunes store, but isn't all this what the consumer wants in the end?

It sure sounds bad but based on what the majority of consumers have bought in the past its apparent that people don't like having choices. They would prefer to have all their devices come pre-packaged and work together than have to pick and choose individual products, even though they'll eventually end up paying more money for an inferior product. That's what apple does, through Macbooks, iTunes, iPod, iPhone, and now iPad, they're insuring that "Mac is the focal point of one's digital lifestyle." That was part of Steve Job's keynote in 2001. Hes done a pretty good job achieving that. And all the features of the iPad (or lack there off) works towards this:

iPhone OS - (why not OS X?) OS X would mean the iPad would probably run on an Intel atom, allowing users to download their own software on line which leads to other ways to consume media outside of the iTunes store, thats a no-no.
No Flash - Now all your favorite online flash games have an app-version available for only $0.99 in the app store and apple takes a 30/70 split off the profit.
No Multitasking - its too complicated, no multitasking is simple, goes with the whole user experience, exemplifies the concept that simplicity improves the user experience.
Price: Yeah they'll make huge margins, $ is the end goal of all of this.

The iPad will be very successful, it will be that shiny thing that everyone buys because all their friends have it. And it will be a cultural icon, but that doesn't make it a great product. The difference between the iPad and iPhone and the iPod is that the iPod was actually a new and innovative product, time will tell if Apple's reputation will hold, or if their constant over-hyped releases of outdated hardware will tarnish their reputation. I actually hope the former, it keeps the marketplace competitive, and the cost of actual good products lower. Wouldn't want Microsoft or *gasp* Google to take over. I like the current state of the phone market. Lots of players (Google, Microsoft, Apple, Palm) means tons of great products (Android, Win7mobile, WebOS). None of those would be as developed if the super hyped iPhone never existed. Maybe the same will happen with the tablet market? Tables computers have been around since 2000 and never took off, maybe next year all our laptops will have swivel screens and the cool guy at Starbucks will have the macPad.

Author:   Feisar
Date:   Feb 25, 10 at 8:23pm (PST)
I don't like it too much.
I want to get my hands on it and use it, because I'm a bit of a techhead, but I wouldn't buy one.
If Apple were to make this better, they'd put Mac OS X on it.
It's just an oversized iPod Touch, and I'd much rather carry an iTouch in my pocket than an iPad.
The name is rubbish, too. iTab or iTouch would have been better, or other names.

~Feisar

Author:   The Rock Hater03
Date:   Feb 27, 10 at 10:00pm (PST)
I think it is a shit product.

Why on earth would you make a bigger version of an Ipod Touch/Iphone. Isn't the whole point of them to be small and handy? And I would much rather have a laptop or Macbook.

Stupid Idea... Stupid name.

Date:   Mar 01, 10 at 6:57pm (PST)
People always dis apple products before they come out:

People said the iPod was disappointing, adoption was slow, but turned out to be a huge success.

When Apple moved to Intel cpus on macbooks, people predicted that sales would crash, they ended up doubling their market share.

The iPod touch was said to be a gimmick and no one would buy into it, that was the case for about a year, but the current version is hugely popular.

The iPhone offered nothing new or innovative, but was hugely popular due to its aesthetics and marketing.

The aluminum "uni-body" macbooks were said to be weak, cheap, and no consumer would buy a $2000 notebook with such cheap manufacturing, but they were very popular (although market share dropped mostly due to successful marketing by Microsoft).

Now the iPad, same thing again, people say its stupid, outdated, useless, and about this time next year everyone will own one. Take it to class, use it in the living room, it will be popular, maybe not at first but definitely after v2.0 when all the kinks are flattened out.

The only flops Apple has had were the newton (before apple had the brand strength they do now) and the macbook air(ridiculously overpriced). With the brand name apple has now, the amount of media attention this thing is getting, the marketing of apple, and the affordability of the ipad, its sure to be very successful.

Author:   Game Master 009
Date:   Mar 23, 10 at 8:20pm (PST)
It could use a lot more like a Camera, usb like mentioned before and not the same as the ipod touch just bigger. But i do like the IWork remade for iPad. And the name is just gay.

Author:   Game Master 009
Date:   Apr 03, 10 at 6:34pm (PST)
Now its out so youl start to see people wasting 500$

Date:   Apr 03, 10 at 7:00pm (PST)
The iPad might turn out to be so revolutionary that we'll look back on its unveiling like Alexander Graham Bell speaking to Mr. Watson.
Yeah iPads out today, its going to revolutionary the computer industry. People say the greatest thing about the iPad is that it makes the computer disappear. "You don't think computer when you use it. You just do the task you want to do." No longer do we have to worry about complicated computers, software, and viruses.

The iPad also is revolutionizing business, with the iPad, the web is no longer "free" but becomes a huge potential subscription income source for businesses. The iPad will save the newspaper and magazine industry, now these companies can charge fees for iPad users to read their online news content. For the millions, soon billions of people with an iphone, now ipad, iTunes becomes the biggest media distribution service in history, the sole provider of media and games on the interent. No longer can people use computers to find free alternatives to getting popular applications and media, now they are feed through iTunes, the only provider of web content on any of Apple's devices. The iPad is the most profitable business model ever, and Apple will soon own the internet, its going to a much better world (for apple shareholders).

The only people who will be left behind in the internet revolution is anyone who doesn't own an iPhone and iPad (poor people and nerds).

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.