Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Cannot upload mp4 movie files into iTunes library. - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1401068-cannot-upload-mp4-movie-files-into-itunes-library/

Author:   Skittle
Date:   Jul 28, 09 at 6:54am (PST)
Subject:   Cannot upload mp4 movie files into iTunes library.
-------------------------------------------
Hey,

I converted some files from a show that I like into mp4 format, the file type that iTunes and iPhones/touches use to play videos. Yet I cannot upload the files into my iTunes library to put them on my iPod Touch.

-They are the right format
-Quicktime is updated
-I have tried simply dragging them into the 'movie' library
-I have tried going to file<add file to library

Nothing works, has anyone else had this problem and found a way around it?

Any and all help appreciated.

Author:   McClubbin
Date:   Jul 28, 09 at 7:56am (PST)
Subject:   re: Cannot upload mp4 movie files into iTunes library.
I used to have this problem when I used to upload shows. My best advice is to check the file name. Certain characters in the name aren't recognized by iTunes and it won't upload it until you change it. Try to keep the name simple.

This is a problem that I encountered most of the time, but I know it wouldn't upload some files for another reason. I can't remember how I got past that. But a general tip would be to try converting the file to an mp4 all over again and see if it uploads it then.

Author:   ProudLoz
Date:   Jul 28, 09 at 3:28pm (PST)

I'll ease your mind a little. iTunes won't recognize most MP4 files because they're not converted in the right codec. Then, even if you do manage to convert it in the right codec, it can only read certain bitrates, atom files, and all this other expert stuff average people don't know about. So if you convert a video and it doesn't follow these "rules" then it won't load up on iTunes and if it does, it won't play correctly. Finally, just because your video will play on Quicktime doesn't mean that it'll play on iTunes, both programs handle MP4 conversion completely differently.

Same thing applies with your iPod/iTouch/iPhone. Just because iTunes can play it doesn't mean your iPod can. In fact, iPods and iPhones require a special atom (embed in the file) to play the video correctly. This is only require for H.264 conversions and not the old MP4 codec. Thing is though with the old MP4 codec you're risking huge files and crappy quality. H.264 has great high quality at low bitrates and the filesize is great per video. Thing is though, it's complicated.

To ease your problem I suggest you download "Handbrake". It's a great H.264 converter and it's mainly targetted towards iPod/Apple TV/iTunes/iPhone conversions. There are presets on the program to help you out if you don't know what you're doing. Hope this helps your problem.

Author:   AvengedAnger
Date:   Jul 28, 09 at 11:21pm (PST)
It happens to me all the time... Sometimes it's as simple to fix as getting a new converter... If you bought yours then I suggest download a good demo... Prism has a good one for converting quick videos... The guy above me explained why you can't put them in there pretty well...

Author:   Dimitri Blinov
Date:   Nov 05, 11 at 2:28pm (PST)
Basically, there's some rules you need to pay attention such as converting or uploading MP4 Movie. You need to convert MP4 file from the iTunes itself. Just look up to iPhone's Guides

Author:   igrowingboy
Date:   Feb 17, 12 at 7:33am (PST)
my itunes can upload and play mp4 very well

Author:   JackDeth
Date:   May 18, 12 at 4:44pm (PST)
I made a movie I own into an M4V with Handbrake and was able to load it into iTunes on my desktop PC. I could then load to it my iPod Touch and it played perfectly. Now I want to load the same file into iTunes on a laptop to use on an iPad. However, I cannot even get the file to load into iTunes.

Why will iTunes on one machine load it while iTunes on another doesn't?

Author:   happygirlbaby
Date:   Jul 09, 12 at 12:26am (PST)
quote JackDeth
I made a movie I own into an M4V with Handbrake and was able to load it into iTunes on my desktop PC. I could then load to it my iPod Touch and it played perfectly. Now I want to load the same file into iTunes on a laptop to use on an iPad. However, I cannot even get the file to load into iTunes.

Why will iTunes on one machine load it while iTunes on another doesn't?

maybe it is the authority issue
you can only load it according to your own account

Author:   mohammadalzarooni
Date:   Oct 16, 12 at 8:04pm (PST)
If you think you have done the right conversion which support apple devices and if you simply have mp4 video files

Just change the video file extension to m4v

That's all

Author:   pwhitetom
Date:   Dec 03, 12 at 6:37pm (PST)
quote mohammadalzarooni
If you think you have done the right conversion which support apple devices and if you simply have mp4 video files

Just change the video file extension to m4v

That's all
thanks for sharing, but your method only applies to some of my mp4 files

Author:   danhodelge
Date:   Sep 14, 14 at 8:40pm (PST)
The reason of iTunes won't import MP4, no mater by dragging and dropping or by selecting Add File to Libray... from iTunes menu, is iTunes supports most of MP4 and MOV files, but not All. iTunes use the same technology as QuickTime to play media files, it has the same limitation on media file formats.

In order to solve the issue of "can't add MP4 to iTunes" or "can't transfer MP4 to iPhone, iPod, etc via iTunes", we strongly recommend converting MP4 to iTunes supported formats. To do this, you need the powerful yet easy-to-use Faasoft MP4 to iTunes Converter.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.