Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Ipod Music gone..? Screen shows still 15gb used..? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1379755-ipod-music-gone-screen-shows-still-15gb-used/

Author:   Dick
Date:   Jun 17, 09 at 12:58pm (PST)
Subject:   Ipod Music gone..? Screen shows still 15gb used..?
-------------------------------------------
After a computer crash I've seem to have lost my music on my Ipod. After restarting the computer I found no music but the screen shows 15GB Used and 44GB free.

Is there any possibility that my 15GB music is somewhere stored on my Ipod...

I've already tried to reset but nothing....
Suggestions...??

Thanks in advance

Author:   beast009
Date:   Jun 17, 09 at 5:25pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Ipod Music gone..? Screen shows still 15gb used..?
What model is you iPod? And have you tried filling putting your entire library back onto your device, despite it saying that there's already a huge chunk of the HDD filled?

Date:   Jun 19, 09 at 8:27am (PST)
I've got an Ipod Classic 60Gb, bought it around 2003.

It's possible to transfer music from the library to Ipod.

Date:   Jun 24, 09 at 6:27am (PST)
I've downloaded a couple of albums and transferred it to my Ipod and het total amout of GB rises from 31,12 to 31,33 but their are only 4 albums on my Ipod..????

Anyone? (See previous posts)

Date:   Jun 24, 09 at 6:49am (PST)
Have you tried a full-scale factory reset? Through iTunes? It appears as though something is majorly wrong with the way your device tallies up the space remaining, a factory reset should -in theory- clear up any problems the device has (in addition to formatting all of the music and folders created through iTunes).

Author:   McClubbin
Date:   Jun 24, 09 at 8:21am (PST)
My brother had something similar with his Macbook. His computer wouldn't read the space in devices connected through a USB properly. He called up Apple and they managed to resolve the issue in a matter of minutes.

I don't know which computer you have or who you would call, but you should try to call up (or email) Apple first and establish whether there's anything wrong with your iPod or if it's just your computer not reading the capacity properly.

Author:   The Sombrero
Date:   Jun 24, 09 at 10:34am (PST)
I can help.

It's not music on your ipod, it's on your ipod. Understand? Probably not.

Go to the Ipod, not in Itunes. Enter, and go to the map named Music. Wait, it's a hidden folder. Your music should be there.

Author:   Bri
Date:   Jun 24, 09 at 3:49pm (PST)
Your drive may be corrupted. I'm in the same boat. The only thing is...I don't have a backup for my music. Restoring the iPod is NOT an option considering the work I've put into my collection.

Does anyone have a good direction we could go in in perhaps salvagling the music? It's still there.

Date:   Jun 24, 09 at 9:22pm (PST)
Unless you've set up your iPod as an external HDD through jailbreak or rockbox or whatever (before your hard drive became corrupted assuming that's the issue here), there's no way to access the folders where iTunes places your music due to them being completely hidden. You can thank Apple for the super piracy protection features.

Lesson that goes along with this story: Apple software is a nuisance. OH, and be sure to back up your music, always!

You can format your device without erasing you iTunes library. Not sure why you're so against just doing that, the only thing left to do afterward would be to resynchronize your iPod with iTunes.

Date:   Jun 25, 09 at 4:12am (PST)
My iPod is in disk use, thankfully.

I don't have any files on iTunes or anything like that. If I restore my iPod, apparently it's gone, and I don't want that (though I DO have a data recovery program, it's my last resort) My computer still recognizes the iPod though, and still says it has approximately 20 gigs taken up.

An update to my situation is that I HAVE been able to rescue some of the files myself. For those of you familiar with the iPod manually, I saved F0, F1, F2, F3, F5, F44, F45, F46, F47, F48 and F49. I have 49 different folders...whenever I try to rescue some of the others, though, I get a message "Error: parameters are incorrect", and My Computer proceeds to unrecognize the iPod. Some weird shit going on here, can anyone make sense of this part of the problem?

On the bright side, considering each folder has 35 - 40 files, I've saved a good fifth of my collection. Better than nothing.

Date:   Jun 25, 09 at 4:24am (PST)
Oh, so what you're saying is that you don't even bother with iTunes or anything of the sort - you simply add your music to your device manually?

The reason that you're unable to copy some of the folders is more than likely because they house tracks that have some sort of digital file protection. Even entering in disk mode, you won't be able to access every file on your iPod, that's just the way Apple likes things. The reason that you are able to access, and copy, some of the files and folders is probably due to them being completely unprotected.

Date:   Jun 25, 09 at 9:44pm (PST)
No, I use iTunes. But when my iPod began malfunctioning, iTunes became a hindrance, having the iPod disconnect itself from my computer without me telling to eject it. So I removed it.

I have been able to recover most of my music, thankfully.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.