Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Jailbreaking Discussion - page 6

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1353844-jailbreaking-discussion/6.htm

Author:   The Slayer
Date:   Jul 23, 09 at 12:00am (PST)
Subject:   re: Jailbreaking Discussion
-------------------------------------------
Well, I just bought a black 16gb iPhone 3Gs monday, and from what I've found online jailbreaking is the way to go, so I'm going to try and do that today or tomorrow. What is the best method to use for the 3Gs? What operating system is recommended to use? I have a mac system and my laptop is running windows 7, but I can install XP if I need to.

If something happens to my iphone and I have to get it repaired, I can just restore it through iTunes and apple wont even know I did anything to it, correct?

Author:   Arietta
Date:   Jul 23, 09 at 12:30am (PST)
You can jailbreak it on any of the following OS (tested myself with the 3G):
  • Windows Vista x32
  • Windows Vista x64
  • Windows XP x32
  • Windows XP x64
  • Mac Leopard (for what I know, 10.5.6 and up).
The easiest method I know of to jailbreak the 3GS would be using Rednsn0w (for both Windows and Mac, take your pic).
Another method (just for Mac) is using PwnageTool. You can modify an IPSW and modify it at your own taste, but in all honesty, I never got an stable Custom Firmware made with PwnageTool :/. So my recommendation is to use Rednsn0w, but there's no problem if you try the PwnageTool.

As to messing up your iPhone, I am sure that it is impossible to brick it forever (like, 99.9% sure). I have messed up mine in the jailbreak process wayyy too much, and I was always able to do a restore and try again.

@ adelaidasomething: What jailbreak method did you use?

Author:   adelaidecrowsrdabest
Date:   Jul 23, 09 at 12:48pm (PST)
I used Quick Freedom.

Author:   tidus04
Date:   Jul 23, 09 at 3:49pm (PST)
Anyone on the 2.2.1 version of the 2nd Gen Touch I would recommended using this video as it was simple and you had to do very little work and it worked well.

However my question is, it is possible to get onto Cydia via the PC and add the files from it to the Ipod as I don't have a wifi?

Edit:

1 more questions now. How do you remove downloads from Cydua which have installed?

[size=1][color=#666666]This message was edited by tidus04 on Jul 24 2009.

Date:   Jul 24, 09 at 12:15pm (PST)
Tidus hey I seen ya in Fm I will jailbreak like you because I don't think mine worked

Date:   Jul 24, 09 at 4:10pm (PST)
Alright.

Double check on the version you have and if it is the 2.2.1 version then this method will work as it was the same as mine.

I hope it goes well for you mate.

Author:   Arietta
Date:   Jul 24, 09 at 8:50pm (PST)
Tidus, there's a softawre called InstallerApp (for PC, and I think Mac too) which you can use to download Cydia apps to your computer first, BUT you have to pay a bit of money to use the full version of the program, otherwise you won't be able to add the apps to your iTouch/iPhone.

Date:   Jul 25, 09 at 4:21am (PST)
Thanks now how do I use this Cydia?

Date:   Jul 25, 09 at 5:47am (PST)
When you are on a wifi network click the Cydia icon and it will load up. The basic idea I got from it is if you want something just look for it and then when you want it click on the file name and download it. That simple really.

quote Vermillion
Tidus, there's a softawre called InstallerApp (for PC, and I think Mac too) which you can use to download Cydia apps to your computer first, BUT you have to pay a bit of money to use the full version of the program, otherwise you won't be able to add the apps to your iTouch/iPhone.
That will do, it offers me the chance to browse the files more conveniently so then when I am on a wifi I can download them (:

Date:   Jul 27, 09 at 12:27pm (PST)
Tidus to uninsall a Cydia app you just go to that apps page and press the button in the top right and it should say remove.

Author:   bob8294
Date:   Aug 04, 09 at 1:12am (PST)
You don't even need to do that, there's a app on Cydia called CyDelete which allows you to delete apps that you downloaded from Cydia like they were Appstore apps.

Author:   Katastrophe
Date:   Aug 12, 09 at 11:07am (PST)
Thanks for that video Tidus04, I have the 2nd Gen iPod Touch as well (2.2.1) and it worked a treat.

Just getting used to all the different tools I can now use with Cydia, any recommendations on what I should definitely download?

Author:   bob8294
Date:   Aug 17, 09 at 12:47am (PST)
Winterboard for sure and a couple themes which you like.
SBSettings
5 Icon Dock(if you want)
CyDelete(so you don't have to go into Cydia to delete apps)
Backgrounder

Author:   The Groove Master
Date:   Aug 17, 09 at 1:28am (PST)
quote bob8294
You don't even need to do that, there's a app on Cydia called CyDelete which allows you to delete apps that you downloaded from Cydia like they were Appstore apps.

Thank you for this

Author:   rahtutt
Date:   Aug 22, 09 at 7:56pm (PST)
i love jailbreak

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.