Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Jailbreaking Discussion - page 5

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1353844-jailbreaking-discussion/5.htm

Author:   beast009
Date:   Jun 20, 09 at 5:24pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Jailbreaking Discussion
-------------------------------------------
quote pokefreak77
I just installed redsn0w, and I tried to open the file. It says that it cannot find the program to open the file. What should I do? And I tried quickfreedom, and it crashed my computer. I got lucky and did a system restore, so I still have it up and running, but DON'T GET QUICKFREEDOM!!!!!
If you didn't download QuickFreedom from their official page that's your own fault - if you did, well then simply put "you're doin' it wrong". tbh your description is a little vague -"it didn't work"- doesn't really give us much information to work with. Before going further I'm going to ask: You did READ the README files associated with both applications before attempting to execute them, right? Also, you know about everything else that you need in order to completely jailbreak your device (without tethering), yeah? If you aren't sure what the other files are, or where to put them/find them on your computer, I would highly recommend going back and reading through the README for whatever jailbreak app you decide to use again.

Author:   The Slayer
Date:   Jun 23, 09 at 2:25am (PST)
Would it be possible to use an iphone with out a sim card by jail breaking it? Obviously you probably couldn't use it as a phone since it wouldn't have a sim card, but would all of the other features be available, such as the camera, GPS and microphone?

Author:   beast009
Date:   Jun 23, 09 at 5:39pm (PST)
quote The Slayer
Would it be possible to use an iphone with out a sim card by jail breaking it? Obviously you probably couldn't use it as a phone since it wouldn't have a sim card, but would all of the other features be available, such as the camera, GPS and microphone?
I'm almost positive that yellowsn0w looks for the sim card when it rewrites the firmware, meaning that without breaking your sim card there's no way to actually jailbreak the device. It goes through a step by step process, and when it can't do what the program wants it just stops.

Author:   Chasbene
Date:   Jul 08, 09 at 12:21am (PST)
I downloaded the redsn0w file as it told me to, but I haven't got a clue what to do next. Where would the file have been saved and how do I go about using it?

Author:   Kaiba
Date:   Jul 08, 09 at 1:47am (PST)
quote Chasbene
I downloaded the redsn0w file as it told me to, but I haven't got a clue what to do next. Where would the file have been saved and how do I go about using it?
Did you download the firmware? The one I used wass 'iPod2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore'. If you have that, once you open redsn0w, hit browse and select the firmware. From there it should be easy.

Date:   Jul 08, 09 at 11:39am (PST)
Since I did not understand that I'll just tell you what I can. I went to the site beast linked to and clicked the link for downloading redsn0w for windows. That put this file: redsn0w-win_0.7.2.zip.4967908.TPB on my desktop. When I opened that up it took me into Limewire and downloaded the file. I've found it now. When I opened it from Limewire it brought me to a folder somewhere in my computer with this file: redsn0w-win_0.7.2.zip. When I try to open that it takes me back to Limewire, do I need to download something else?

Also, when I jailbreak it, do I have to reset my iPod?

Author:   Arietta
Date:   Jul 08, 09 at 6:10pm (PST)
That shouldn't be opening itself again in Limewire when you open. Probably Redsn0w has not been fully downloaded yet? You should be able to open the ZIP and see an exe inside it. Also, like Oblisk, you will need the Firmware restore to use it.

When you jailbreak, you are restoring your iTouch to default settings to allow it to run unsigned code. So yeah, you are resetting it. You can try to make a backup for it in iTunes, but I don't if that will work.

Date:   Jul 08, 09 at 6:26pm (PST)
I should try to download it again, then? Also, what do you mean by 'the Firmware'? I have little knowledge of these things.

Date:   Jul 08, 09 at 6:36pm (PST)
Yeah, you should try to download it again. I would try a mirror if I were you thought, because downloading torrents with Limewire is a bit... Painful.

The Firmware is technically the "OS" (Operating System) of the iTouch and iPhone. It is the file you need to update your iTouch, and to jailbreak it. Since you have an iPod Touch, you have to buy the firmware unfortunately, which costs 10$ on the iTunes store.

Author:   Kaiba
Date:   Jul 09, 09 at 3:30am (PST)
If you keep having problems with Limewire opening, you should uninstall it. When it starts doing stuff like that, it's more trouble than it's worth, believe me.

Author:   adelaidecrowsrdabest
Date:   Jul 17, 09 at 7:49am (PST)
I have jailbreaked it but what do I do now?

Author:   tidus04
Date:   Jul 21, 09 at 1:51pm (PST)
Can the Itouch 2nd Gens be Jainbroke?

Date:   Jul 21, 09 at 7:10pm (PST)
Every iTouch and iPhone can be jailbroken.

Author:   tidus04
Date:   Jul 22, 09 at 10:56am (PST)
Alright.

By doing this is there a huge risk in bricking your iTouch? Also, if it is Jail broken would I be able to remove the stocks and pointless other apps that appear on my main page that I don't want?

Author:   adelaidecrowsrdabest
Date:   Jul 22, 09 at 12:20pm (PST)
As long as everything is in the same place as when you put it on iTunes you can just sync it afterwards to get everyhing back. Can anone help me? I've jailbroken it but installer or cydia or nothing is on it!

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.