Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Jailbreaking Discussion - page 3

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1353844-jailbreaking-discussion/3.htm

Author:   BigAnjoe
Date:   Jun 07, 09 at 8:50pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Jailbreaking Discussion
-------------------------------------------
Windows XP.
I follow the directions that Quickpwn shows.
When it says to hold, I hold.
When it changes and says to hold another, I hold that.
Sometimes it still says there's like 20 more seconds, but it is already doing the next step.
So I let go once it gets to the all white screen.

I'm just going to have my friend do it for me.
He's done it a few times.

I used my 3 strikes already.

Author:   beast009
Date:   Jun 07, 09 at 8:52pm (PST)
iTunes x.x.x all the way up through iTunes 8.1.1 should work fine, heck I'm still using iTunes 8.1.1 until iTunes 8.2 is confirmed safe to use in conjunction with jailbroken devices. I doubt that iTunes is preventing you from jailbreaking your device, especially if you've tried installing an earlier version of the software.

First off make sure that you have Microsoft .net framework 3.5 installed. If you don't you can download it here. The install shield will exit if you already have the latest .net framework installed.

Next you'll need to make sure that you have the official released Apple iPod 2.2.1 firmware available, you'll need it in order to write over the firmware with QuickPWN's own jailbroken firmware. Save it in a temp folder or something, somewhere you can access it in case QuickPWN can't locate the file automatically. Download Apple iPod 2.2.1 firmware here if you don't have the file, or don't have the correct file.

Finally, just let QuickPWN do its thing. Follow the onscreen instructions to prepare your device for the jailbreak process, and let the application take it from there.

I've used both QuickPWN and redsn0w before, and while I prefer redsn0w QuickPWN does the job nicely. It's also the only executable jailbreaking software that allows you to set up a custom boot from the installation screen - at least for the time being.

Date:   Jun 07, 09 at 9:01pm (PST)
Well I'm using iTunes 7.7 now.

I'm about to install that sheild once my iPod restores in a minute.

I had bought the official download for 2.2.1 earlier.
Off of iTunes then redownloaded it to have a the file, which works fine.

I just don't see what I'm doing wrong.

Going to retry once it reboots.

--

Can I select anything for my custom boot?
Not just the pineapple?

Date:   Jun 07, 09 at 9:04pm (PST)
There won't be a custom boot if you leave the box un-ticked. If you can't get it to work this time I would try downloading that 2.2.1 firmware I linked you to, not that there should be any difference... And you're positive that you have the latest framework installed on your PC?

Also, check the following location on your PC to make sure that the correct firmware can be found in the correct location:
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

Date:   Jun 07, 09 at 9:06pm (PST)
I'll download the one you linked to, just incase.

What does that sheild do?
I got an error when I did it.

Date:   Jun 07, 09 at 9:08pm (PST)
It installs the Microsoft .net framework. If you're framework is already up to date then the install shield should say so, and exit out automatically. You need to be running the latest software version in order for QuickPWN to work.

Date:   Jun 07, 09 at 9:24pm (PST)
Guys, thanks for all your help.
But to no avail, everything is failing me.
I'll put off on trying to do this for a bit.

Maybe I'll find one of my computer teachers or friends who know how to do this, and have them do it for me.

Sorry for wasting your time.

Date:   Jun 07, 09 at 9:28pm (PST)
Don't be so quick to knock off just yet. There might be an easy way to get it to work, but that all depends on whether or not you're able to identify where exactly the kink in the process is located.

Does everything appear to be going smoothly up until you begin uploading the exploit bootloader?

Date:   Jun 07, 09 at 9:30pm (PST)
It's all fine.
Just never gets passed the boot screen.

But I'll put off for now.
I'm using my mom's crap laptop.
Everything is really slow on it.
Once I get my desktop and Fios, I'll retry this.

Date:   Jun 07, 09 at 9:35pm (PST)
Alright, but when you do get that chance to play around with things try restoring your device to factory default and NOT selecting "load settings from an old backup" or "setup as a new iPod" when prompted to by iTunes after the restore has completed. Just exit out of iTunes leaving your iPod connected and try running QuickPWN again.

Date:   Jun 07, 09 at 9:37pm (PST)
Saves time to retry Quickpwn-ing?

Date:   Jun 09, 09 at 4:25am (PST)
A friend of mine told me that because I had my iTouch on Auto-lock for 5 minutes, that is why it froze.
He took off the Auto-lock and said it would definately work.

I don't want to try and have it fail for the fourth time.
Does Auto-lock have anything to do with it's freezing?

Author:   Arietta
Date:   Jun 09, 09 at 4:51am (PST)
You never know unless you try. Fortunately for you, there is a very slim chance of messing up your iTouch completely, as a restore can fix problems 99.9% of the time (I in fact still have to hear about an iTouch that got completely messed up to the point that not even a restore would fix it).

Date:   Jun 09, 09 at 11:35pm (PST)
quote beast009
Alright, but when you do get that chance to play around with things try restoring your device to factory default and NOT selecting "load settings from an old backup" or "setup as a new iPod" when prompted to by iTunes after the restore has completed. Just exit out of iTunes leaving your iPod connected and try running QuickPWN again.
If you're going to try again try this then. ^

If that doesn't work then there's something wrong with one of the files or your current firmware - more than likely not the firmware since you bought it from iTunes though.

Date:   Jun 10, 09 at 4:10am (PST)
When I bought it off of iTunes, it never gave me a file.
It installed it directly into the device.
I never got an actual file saved to my computer or anywhere else besides into the device.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.