Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Jailbreaking Discussion - page 29

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1353844-jailbreaking-discussion/29.htm

Author:   LOD-squa
Date:   Feb 04, 13 at 11:05am (PST)
Subject:   re: Jailbreaking Discussion
-------------------------------------------
..ah yes. The dillemah of tablets not being included in that DMCA statute.
ProudLoz

Is jailbreaking legal in the United States?
We aren't lawyers, so we can't tell you for sure, but jailbreaking seems to be OK. A law in the United States, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA), has an anti-circumvention clause which states that if there is a protection mechanism on a piece of software, a user is not allowed to bypass that protection. Jailbreaking may fall under that clause, but in 2012 the Library of Congress renewed an exemption for jailbreaking cell phones such as iPhones. A proposed exemption for jailbreaking tablets (such as iPads) was declined, but this doesn't necessarily mean that jailbreaking iPads is now illegal. It means that it's still a legal grey area - in other words, there's never been a DMCA exemption for jailbreaking iPads, and there still isn't one, but it's unclear whether the DMCA actually makes jailbreaking illegal in general. Jailbreaking iPod touches also falls into this grey area. If you are outside the United States, some countries have anti-circumvention laws with various exceptions and conditions, so please research the laws of your country to make sure jailbreaking is not prohibited for you - this may be a helpful place to start. Keep in mind that if you are pirating things, that is copyright infringement, which is illegal in most places.

Author:   ProudLoz
Date:   Feb 04, 13 at 11:17am (PST)
LOD-squa, read it and all I got was that it was a grey area. Well, it's not like anyone would find out that I jailbroke my iPad or not. Then again, I could just say that my iPad is not a tablet, it's an iPad.

Date:   Feb 04, 13 at 11:20am (PST)
Well played, you can just restore either way if anything ever comes up. Or put it in DFU and nobody will know. ProudLoz

Author:   Freeze
Date:   Feb 04, 13 at 2:05pm (PST)
ProudLoz Silly Americans Apple themselves says it isn't illegal (just a violation of the Apple license and Terms of Use), you own the device, yet your government comes up with a grey area...

Author:   Arietta
Date:   Feb 04, 13 at 2:28pm (PST)
So I had downloaded iOS 6.1 on Saturday to be ready for the jailbreak for my iPhone 5.
I downloaded the wrong one and now I have to redownload it again and may not be able to jailbreak it till tomorrow.

Date:   Feb 04, 13 at 2:47pm (PST)
You never upgraded to 6.1 Saga?

Date:   Feb 04, 13 at 2:50pm (PST)
Nope, I was waiting to do a clean restore.

Author:   Pokenerd15
Date:   Feb 04, 13 at 2:52pm (PST)
Officially jailbreak'd my iPhone 5. I must say, the process of jailbreaking was simple. Good thing I saved my SHSH Blobs before doing it though. I think I'll get started on trying to install some stuff onto it later..

Date:   Feb 04, 13 at 2:58pm (PST)
quote Pokenerd15
Officially jailbreak'd my iPhone 5. I must say, the process of jailbreaking was simple. Good thing I saved my SHSH Blobs before doing it though. I think I'll get started on trying to install some stuff onto it later..

Good luck. Cydia is currently unresponsive no matter what you do. It will not install anything.

Date:   Feb 04, 13 at 3:15pm (PST)
I'm so glad they have improved their tools so much nowadays.
The first jailbreak for iOS 1.1.1 needed 74 steps!

I haven't been using iPhones for that long but even jailbreaking iOS 2.x.x was time consuming. I remember fighting for years with no success at first.

Author:   Pokenerd15
Date:   Feb 04, 13 at 4:05pm (PST)
quote ProudLoz
quote Pokenerd15

Good luck. Cydia is currently unresponsive no matter what you do. It will not install anything.
Adding Sources seems to work?

Date:   Feb 04, 13 at 6:13pm (PST)
quote Saga
I'm so glad they have improved their tools so much nowadays.
The first jailbreak for iOS 1.1.1 needed 74 steps!

I haven't been using iPhones for that long but even jailbreaking iOS 2.x.x was time consuming. I remember fighting for years with no success at first.
1.1.4 was almost instant(tool did the work for you). Not much to be done. I have been jailbreaking since those days.

Date:   Feb 05, 13 at 7:03am (PST)
Ugh, Cydia is too god damn buggy to do anything at the moment. I think I'm going to restore and unjailbreak for now. I'm gonna wait a few days or even weeks till everything starts to settle down.

Date:   Feb 05, 13 at 8:32am (PST)
I was actually able to install SBSettings with no problem earlier today ProudLoz.

Date:   Feb 05, 13 at 8:37am (PST)
LOD-squa, yeah I managed to install biteSMS and winterboard, and that's about it. Well, I did get Intelliscreen X or whatever it's called and I'm not entirely impressed. I also wasn't impressed with Lockinfo 5 either.

I'm trying to get other tweaks to try out, see if there's anything new, but I'll either get Cydia telling me it's not available or that my iPhone is not compatible. So, it's really buggy right now and I hardly feel like bothering with it at the moment.

Funny how it managed to take my money just fine when I bought Auxo, but didn't want to install.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.