Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Jailbreaking Discussion - page 23

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1353844-jailbreaking-discussion/23.htm

Author:   Pokenerd15
Date:   Mar 28, 12 at 3:39pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Jailbreaking Discussion
-------------------------------------------
quote Vermillion
Yes. Any sort of official update will kill your jailbreak. There's also no jailbreak for 5.1 yet so I recommend you to wait a bit.
Ok, just making sure. Thanks.

Author:   Agua
Date:   May 04, 12 at 2:27am (PST)
So I have a 3gs, what steps do I take to jailbreak it?

Author:   Wilhelm Ryan
Date:   May 04, 12 at 6:20am (PST)
quote Agua
So I have a 3gs, what steps do I take to jailbreak it?
Are you running 5.1? If so, use this guide. If you're not running 5.1, just do a Google search for "jailbreak iphone 3gs #.##" and you'll get your results. Jailbreaking is as easy as just download redsn0w, and letting it do all the work.

Date:   May 04, 12 at 9:16am (PST)
5.1? on itunes or the ipod? how do i check?

Author:   LOD-squa
Date:   May 04, 12 at 9:37am (PST)
Settings ---> General ---> About

Or By hooking up your iPod to your computer then going to iTunes and checking there. Agua

Date:   May 04, 12 at 11:09am (PST)
so everytime i wanna reboot my phone after jailbreaking, it needws to be connected?

Author:   Arietta
Date:   May 04, 12 at 11:48am (PST)
Only if it is a tethered jailbreak. If you get an untethered jailbreak you won't have to do that.

Date:   May 04, 12 at 9:27pm (PST)
There is no offical untethered jailbreak for 5.1 yet. The best you can get with 5.1 right now is semi-tethered, meaning you can reboot your device, but you may or may not have access to certain Cydia apps, and maybe even stock apps. However, if you do a tethered boot with redsn0w (easy to do, you just connect your iDevice and let redsn0w do all the work), you'll have no problem.

Oh, and I got Siri on my iPhone 4. :3 And I got her to call me "that *bleep*". <3 jailbroken iPhones.

Author:   smarti3
Date:   May 06, 12 at 12:17pm (PST)
Is there an untethered Jailbreak for 5.1 3GS ?

I've heard there isn't but I've seen on google a untethered redsn0w jailbreak...

Date:   May 06, 12 at 12:33pm (PST)
All the jailbreaks for iOS 5.1 are semi-untethered for all devices as far as I know.

Date:   May 06, 12 at 1:30pm (PST)
just jailbroke my iphone, what aps should i get?

i am currently not seeing any benefits to this...

Author:   smarti3
Date:   May 07, 12 at 4:29am (PST)
Agua Winterboard, SBSettings. Can't think of the ones I have on my Ipod, I'll edit them in later

Vermillion So are Jailbreaks like this BS then ?

Date:   May 07, 12 at 8:27am (PST)
quote Agua
i am currently not seeing any benefits to this...
Most of the "apps" on Cydia are just tweaks. Things that enhance your iPhone, that probably should be available without a jailbreak.

If you're interested in Siri, there's multiple apps for that. SiriPort is a good one but hard to install, and there's also Spire. If you do get a Siri-inspired app, there's another app called "MyAssistant" that allows you to add custom commands and themes to Siri.

RingerX VIP let's you edit a contact, so you can adjust volume control, vibrate control, mute calls, etc. per each individual contact on your phone.

Colored Knob let's you change the "slide to unlock" button on your lock screen.

Zeppelin replaces your carrier's logo on the upper left-hand corner of your screen with pretty much any logo you want. Anything from the Batman logo to the Triforce from Zelda.

Slide To Mod let's you change the "Slide To Unlock" text. Enter your own custom text, have it so the date or time is there instead.

WeeTrackData puts a menu in your notification bar that let's you track your data usage, in case you don't have unlimited data. You can slide the menu to see your data usage for 1 day, 7 days, or the whole month.

Bulletin let's you pull down the notification bar from your lock screen.

Lock Sliderz let's you have multiple unlock bars and knobs (up to 4 bars, two knobs on each bar) that let you slide to unlock to a certain app. Very convenient.

Mirror Widget adds a "mirror" to your notification bar. Makes use of your camera primarily, but if you double tap the mirror, it switches to your front-facing camera instead.

I could go on for awhile. Google and Youtube for Cydia apps and tweaks. There's also some retro emulators and stuff, but we can't discuss that sorta thing here. ;D

Date:   May 07, 12 at 10:00am (PST)

smarti3: No, this one isn't BS. I completely forgot of the old bootrom. Do you have a 3GS with the old bootrom though? If you do, you can trust this jailbreak. I used to jailbreak my 3G back in the day with Sn0wbreeze when it first became available.

quote Wilhelm Ryan
I could go on for awhile. Google and Youtube for Cydia apps and tweaks. There's also some retro emulators and stuff, but we can't discuss that sorta thing here. ;D
Technically you can. Just don't give links to ROMs and BIOS (for those emulators that need them).

Date:   May 07, 12 at 10:23am (PST)
quote Vermillion

quote Wilhelm Ryan
Technically you can. Just don't give links to ROMs and BIOS (for those emulators that need them).

Oh, awesome. In that case, there's some nicely working emulators for NES, SNES, N64, GBC/A, etc. I haven't gotten much into them, and I know probably aren't compatible with iOS 5.1 yet, but I've got the GBA emulator to work.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.