Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Jailbreaking Discussion - page 19

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1353844-jailbreaking-discussion/19.htm

Author:   RazeHell
Date:   Apr 21, 11 at 8:38pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Jailbreaking Discussion
-------------------------------------------
quote Freeze
If the device came preloaded with 4.3.1 I suggest you wait until they update Greenpois0n again, to avoid messing up your iPhone with bad firmware.
It did.
I think I'll wait.

Author:   ProudLoz
Date:   Apr 21, 11 at 9:42pm (PST)
quote Freeze
The easiest way that I know of is using greenpois0n. The latest Firmware you can jailbreak is Firmware 4.2.1
If you have 4.3.1 installed you need to downgrade, possibly by doing a restore of one of your previous backups. If the device came preloaded with 4.3.1 I suggest you wait until they update Greenpois0n again, to avoid messing up your iPhone with bad firmware.
Freeze, forgot about Greenpoison, instead you can jailbreak 4.3.1 and 4.3.2 with RedSn0w. :3

I recommended you go with 4.3.2 since it fixed some bugs in 4.3.1

The Dev-Team Blog

All devices that have 4.3.1/2 are supported except the iPad 2 for now. The process is fairly easy and you do not need to restore your device. You will however be required to download the firmware IPSW of your device for it to work.

If you have Windows 7 or Vista, it's recommended that you run redsnow.exe in administrator mode and compatibility mode of Windows XP or earlier versions (Windows 95 seems to be the safest one through my experience).

Make sure to save your blobs or shsh's with Tinyumbrella so you can jailbreak in the future when a new unjailbreakable iOS is out.

Author:   Freeze
Date:   Apr 22, 11 at 11:02am (PST)
Wasn't aware of Redsn0w ZL (edit: for some reason you cannot be notified using @ feature) so thanks for the heads up! I used Greenpois0n with great satisfaction, easily the easiest one I've used.
RazeHell, so if you still want to jailbreak, use RedSn0w with a 4.3.2 IPSW file

Author:   Arietta
Date:   Apr 22, 11 at 5:24pm (PST)
You can't notify ZL because his name is less than 3 characters long. Sucks.

Anyways, I didn't know I would actually use Redsn0w with the latest Firmware without restoring, so thanks for that tip ZL.

Author:   Triforce of Wisdom
Date:   Apr 23, 11 at 10:15pm (PST)
I have all kinds of iPod troubles, including my songs getting erased whenever I update the software. If I jailbreak my iPod, is there any risk of me losing all my songs/apps/iTunes money/anything else?

Date:   Apr 23, 11 at 11:17pm (PST)
Depends on how you reinstall. If you use Redsn0w there shouldn't be any need to restore the actual iPod. If you decide to use a custom IPSW, then yeah, you lose everything.

Date:   Apr 24, 11 at 1:06am (PST)
quote Triforce of Wisdom
I have all kinds of iPod troubles, including my songs getting erased whenever I update the software. If I jailbreak my iPod, is there any risk of me losing all my songs/apps/iTunes money/anything else?
As long as you do a backup, you'll be able to get all the contents of your phone back.

Author:   Triforce of Wisdom
Date:   Apr 24, 11 at 2:17am (PST)
Tyvm guys. You bring light to the unenlightened. I was worried about this because a "friend" of mine jailbroke his and it was stuck on the screen of a USB cord plugging into iTunes.

Date:   Apr 24, 11 at 2:23am (PST)
That should never happen. He most likely restored it, and then preserved the baseband which will throw you into recovery mode because iTunes encounters the 1013 baseband error. If that happens, go to TinyUmbrella.com (or .org) and look for the Recovery Fixer. Put the iPhone in DFU mode and then run the Recovery Fixer for it to be booted up to normal.

An iPhone is impossible to brick as long as DFU mode is still working.

Date:   Apr 24, 11 at 2:53am (PST)
BTW, things such as your music won't be restored from a backup, so watch out for that.

Author:   Sacredaerobolt
Date:   May 01, 11 at 5:10am (PST)
Hi I jailbroke my ipod, installed a theme called claassifed hd it changes the look of everything in your ipod including folders. Then when I changed my theme to something else and turned classifed hd off in winterboard i noticed that the folder design from cHD was still there... I uninstalled the themes package on cydia but that didnt do anything either. So now it says class HD in silver and the rest of the settings from classifed hd in it too. What do I do?

Author:   LOD-squa
Date:   May 01, 11 at 5:12am (PST)
You need to make sure you untick the box in winterboard and that you only have the one theme you want ticked. Weird that you uninstalled and it's still showing up.

Date:   May 01, 11 at 6:01am (PST)
Yeah it is weird and I unticked everything before uninstalling. Im thinking it might be because it needs to be refreshed somehow, like replacing it with the folder style of another theme.

Btw is it to ask for help on this thread?

Author:   bob8294
Date:   May 02, 11 at 12:49am (PST)
Usually when themes are installed, it's not just one single box that themes the entire phone, have you tried unchecking all the boxes in winterboard and then respringing? It should go back to stock, and from there you can move one by one down the list of themes in winterboard to find out what's keeping those skins. If that fails, then you're going to have to either SSH and delete the remnants of the theme, or maybe even use iFile and delete it if you're lucky.

Of course there's always the option of restoring+jailbreak if you feel that's out of your comfort zone.

Date:   May 02, 11 at 11:08pm (PST)
I checked my themes folder with ifile but I didn't see any trace of the theme... I could try sshing, i don't really know what it is.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.