Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Jailbreaking Discussion - page 18

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1353844-jailbreaking-discussion/18.htm

Author:   Archangel
Date:   Mar 18, 11 at 3:32pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Jailbreaking Discussion
-------------------------------------------
quote Aurora
It is user friendly to develop apps. The unofficial ways aren't.
Do these official ways cost money in order to create? If so, then there needs to be better unofficial ways.

Author:   Aurora
Date:   Mar 18, 11 at 3:36pm (PST)
Yeah, £40. That's very little if you genuinely want to make apps.

Date:   Mar 18, 11 at 6:12pm (PST)
I was just looking to see what was involved and try my hand at it, so no, I don't genuinely want to make them.

I mean, I 'applied' as a Developer on the Apple site and it gave me a link to download a 4.3gig program to get started, but it was a .dmg file - which seems to be a Mac file.

Author:   Aurora
Date:   Mar 18, 11 at 6:43pm (PST)
Oh -- yes, that's right. You can only (officially) develop apps on Macs, largely due to the fact that the iOS SDK uses lots of Mac stuff.

There are ways to develop apps on Windows, but I don't know anything about them besides that the fact that they will not run on a non-jailbroken device. It's also probably more complicated and harder to make such apps, since it involves continuously circumventing Apple's protection and using unsupported tools.

Date:   Mar 18, 11 at 8:33pm (PST)
Well that's... stupid. Considering the size of the PC population, one would assume they would have implemented a simple solution.

Guess my app plan has been shot down. Great.

Author:   Bass Ultra
Date:   Apr 01, 11 at 5:52pm (PST)
Hmmm, cydia just broke.

Note: Cannot Locate Package

The package com.xsellize.scrollingboard cannot be found in your current sources. I might recommend installing more sources.

This issue may also be caused by a number of other factors. The most common one is that your package catalog is out of date. To manually refresh, click the refresh button on the changes tab. This package may also simply no longer exist. It is also possible you are using an old firmware version: users should attempt to remain reasonably up to date with Apple's firmware releases.

This message was edited by Bass Ultra on Apr 01 2011.

Author:   Rondo
Date:   Apr 01, 11 at 9:05pm (PST)
Talked to a couple of my friends and some of them says that jailbreaking your iPod Touch wouldn't mess it up at all but others say that it would make your iPod really slow and other stuff. What bad effects might there be for jailbreaking an iPod? Or is there one at all?

Author:   ProudLoz
Date:   Apr 01, 11 at 9:32pm (PST)
quote Bass Ultra
Hmmm, cydia just broke.

Note: Cannot Locate Package

The package com.xsellize.scrollingboard cannot be found in your current sources. I might recommend installing more sources.

This issue may also be caused by a number of other factors. The most common one is that your package catalog is out of date. To manually refresh, click the refresh button on the changes tab. This package may also simply no longer exist. It is also possible you are using an old firmware version: users should attempt to remain reasonably up to date with Apple's firmware releases.

This message was edited by Bass Ultra on Apr 01 2011.
Go to the xsellize forums for support, you'll get no help here since xsellize supports cracking of apps and Neo has a policy against that.

quote Rondo
Talked to a couple of my friends and some of them says that jailbreaking your iPod Touch wouldn't mess it up at all but others say that it would make your iPod really slow and other stuff. What bad effects might there be for jailbreaking an iPod? Or is there one at all?
It really depends on the apps that you're installing. If you have a 4th Gen iPod Touch, you'll barely notice a decrease in speed, any older models depends on what you're installing.

Author:   Arietta
Date:   Apr 02, 11 at 4:45am (PST)
More than the iPod model, it also depends on how many memory-hog applications you may run. Daemon apps for example will always consume RAM and never let it go. If you have an old iPod Touch and you jailbreak it, don't install SBSettings with lots of toggles.

Author:   bob8294
Date:   Apr 03, 11 at 12:37am (PST)
I have a iPod Touch 1G jailbroken on 3.2.1, with SBSettings installed, and I can vouch for what vermillion said, but then again, you don't really need alot of toggles other than the default ones.
In addition to keeping your toggles down, keep the amount of themes/tweaks enabled in Winterboard down, and you should be ok.

Author:   Rondo
Date:   Apr 03, 11 at 3:00am (PST)
Actually I don't have an iPod yet. I'm planning to get the 4th Generation soon. So, you guys agree that the jailbreaking the 4th generation won't slow down the iPod that much? Is there any other effects I should be aware of?

Author:   Arietta
Date:   Apr 03, 11 at 4:50am (PST)
Indeed. Jailbreaking the iPod itself is not what will slow your iPod down. bob8294 mentioned an important detail that tends to slow iDevices down: The heavy use of themes. Stuff like that is what tends to slow it down. Although if you do it moderately you shouldn't have any problems with it. If you have a few Winterboard styles here and there, there won't be many problems if at all.

The iPod Touch 4G counts a with a great amount of RAM for that stuff. Granted, not as much as the iPod itself, but with enough RAM to not be slowed down.

Side effects? Nah. You are not buying an iPhone which you are planning to unlock, so you have nothing to worry about. The only thing I can think of is that Jailbreaking does bring down a lot of security mechanisms in iDevices, but no one bothers to exploit them and even then it's pretty segure.

Just make sure you change your password if you install SSH.

Author:   bob8294
Date:   Apr 04, 11 at 4:54am (PST)
I got to play with around with a couple of 2g and 4g Touches, and if you are looking to get a 4G and jailbreak it, you can pretty much have as many themes going at once as you want, without it being of a hinderance. Sure it will probably slow down as opposed to a stock iPod Touch, but its definitely nothing to complain about.

Then again, I jailbroke a 2G on 4.0 and its fine, even with SBSettings, one full theme, a few Winterboard tweaks, and the multitasking in 4.0 enabled, and that was definitely tolerable.

Just make sure you clear your multitasking tray once in a while, cause that does seem to clutter up after a while.

And to go with what Vermillion said, if/when you do decide to jailbreak, please change your SSH password, there will be instructions in Cydia on how to do it. As for "side effects", it's virtually impossible to brick a iPod Touch with the jailbreaks out today.

Author:   RazeHell
Date:   Apr 21, 11 at 4:42pm (PST)
Question: Is there an easy way to jailbreak an iPhone 3GS? I just got one a while ago and the method I used to jailbreak my iPod doesn't work (Jailbreakme.com, like a pro). It says that my iPhone version is too high to work.

Author:   Freeze
Date:   Apr 21, 11 at 8:11pm (PST)
The easiest way that I know of is using greenpois0n. The latest Firmware you can jailbreak is Firmware 4.2.1
If you have 4.3.1 installed you need to downgrade, possibly by doing a restore of one of your previous backups. If the device came preloaded with 4.3.1 I suggest you wait until they update Greenpois0n again, to avoid messing up your iPhone with bad firmware.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.